1

The Loss

It was already starting to be another sticky and humid morning Kyuhyun thought to himself as he wiped his brow.

 

Unfortunately the air conditioner had broken yesterday and the repairmen wouldn’t be by until later this afternoon. So while he and Daerim were waiting together, he decided to cut them some fresh fruit for breakfast this morning.

 

Daerim had busied herself in the living room with a long sheet of white paper and a pile of freshly bought crayons, a parting gift from Siwon before he had left for Busan yesterday. So Kyuhyun knew she would busy long enough for him to get everything set up.

 

“What fruit would you like aegi-yah?” he called out as he opened the refrigerator door.

 

“Strawberries!” called out Daerim and Kyuhyun had been prepared to mimic the words with her.

 

He let out a small laugh knowing that his question had been in vain. Daerim always chose strawberries.

 

So that as the first container he pulled out, along with the watermelon, kiwi, and oranges.

 

After setting everything on the counter, Kyuhyun walked over to the appropriate cabinet and reached up to grab a big plate.

 

“Mmmphhh,” he groaned as he pulled the plate down.

 

With a frown he gripped his shirt in an effort brace himself from the pain he suddenly felt in his stomach.

 

After a few moments, it passed and started to walk back over to the fruit, only for that same sharp pain to return.

 

It came slow at first. Just a few pangs of tightness, but then it grew into nausea inducing cramps that quickly had him leaned over the counter.

 

“Ugghhh!” he whined out, his eyes closed tightly as the plate he had been holding in his hand smashed to the floor, his other hand moving to grip his stomach as well.

 

Daerim’s head popped up at the sound of the shattering of the glass, making her run over from the living room. She stopped in her tracks, horrified at the sight she was now seeing before her.

 

Kyuhyun had dropped to his knees and was panting as he held his stomach, sweat beginning to form on his brow.

 

“Kyu appa? What’s wrong?” she asked softly. She was quickly turning afraid of what was happening.

 

“Don’t aegi-yah! Stay back, there’s glass!” said Kyuhyun extending his hand out to stop Daerim from coming closer to him.

 

“Are you sick?” asked Daerim her voice wavering.

 

“I-I don’t know,” Kyuhyun said honestly, shaking his head. “Baby, can you….can you go get Kyu appa’s phone?”

 

“Where is it?” asked Daerim, focusing on the task asked of her now.

 

“On Appas’ bed,” said Kyuhyun pointing towards their bedroom only to fall forward onto both palms as another cramp overtook him.

 

Daerim took off down the hall and straight into Kyuhyun and Siwon’s bedroom. As he had said, his phone was sitting on top of the fluffy white blanket, charging. Daerim quickly snatched it up and then bolted back into the kitchen where Kyuhyun had managed to sit down on the floor, and leaned his head against the bottom cabinets.

 

“I found it Kyu Appa,” she said grasping it with both hands.

 

“Okay, baby…just don’t come any closer, okay…there’s still glass,” he said, his breath still labored.

 

His bangs were clinging to his damp forehead and he couldn’t seem to speak in more than a few words at a time.

 

“Daerim-ah…I need you to call…Wonnie appa. Can you…do that for me?” he asked nodded towards the phone in her hands.

 

Daerim nodded and put in the password she had long ago memorized. And then she quickly found Siwon’s number, hitting the button before putting the phone up to her ear.

 

It rang for a few seconds before a voice picked up.

 

“Hello? Wonnie appa?” asked Daerim.

 

“No Daerim-ah, it’s me Teddy samchon. Your Wonnie appa is busy shooting right now,” said Teddy’s gentle voice.

 

“Teddy samchon, Kyu Appa is sick,” started Daerim.

 

“Teddy? Where’s your Wonnie appa Daerim-ah? Are you sure you called the right number?” asked Kyuhyun holding his stomach again as he sat up.

 

“Yes Kyu Appa—

 

“Daerim-ah, what do you mean your Kyu Appa is sick? Did something happen?” asked Teddy, his voice suddenly turning serious.

 

“I-I don’t know, he’s on the floor,” said Daerim nervously.

 

“Is he hurt?”

 

“I don’t know,” said Daerim, her voice becoming shaky.

 

“Okay, sweetheart, just, is he awake?” asked Teddy.

 

“Yes,” said Daerim meekly.

 

“Okay, can you put him on the phone for me?”

 

“I can’t go near him, he said the floor has glass,” said Daerim looking in front of her.

 

“What—okay, listen, can you put the call on speaker phone? Do  you know how to do that?” asked Teddy.

 

“I think so,” said Daerim softly as she pulled the phone away from her ear.

 

She looked at the screen and tried to find the button.

 

“Aegi-yah, what is your Teddy samchon saying? Where is your Wonnie appa?” asked Kyuhyun, his breathing beginning to increase.

 

“I don’t know Appa. He said Wonnie appa is shooting and to put the call on speakerphone,” said Daerim trying to find the button.

 

“Okay baby…baby, just uh…” Kyuhyun exhaled as he closed his eyes. “I need you to ask Teddy samchon to call an ambulance for me…please.”

 

Daerim frowned as she searched and searched until she finally found what she was looking for. Happily she pushed the button and then she heard Teddy’s rushed voice talking to someone else on his side of the line.

 

“Daerim-ah, are you still there? What’s happening now? How’s your Kyu appa?” asked Teddy quickly.

 

Daerim looked over at Kyuhyun and noticed that his body had suddenly slumped against the counter.

 

“He’s…Kyu appa?...Kyu appa?”