Arcades

Books and Beats

Dongwoon purposely got late for his first class, saying he overslept as usual, because that was the only idea he could think of to avoid Gi Kwang’s smile and the reminder of AJ getting in his head. Of course during the lesson the blond played off by being sleepy and almost ‘falling’ asleep sitting, so when the bell rang and he immediately lay on his desk no one questioned it and no one bothered him… not that they usually did but Yoseob and Gi Kwang didn’t bother him too, which for the past week was a rare occasion.

That trick played off until lunch time when the blonde boy felt someone sit on the desk in front of his and tap him on the shoulder. Dongwoon lifted his eyes and met Gi Kwang’s slightly smiling face.

“If you’re not feeling good go to the infirmary.” Said the boy and laid his head in his hands, which were rested on Dongwoon’s desk, directly staring at the other.

“I’m just sleepy.” Answered the boy and pulled himself back a little.

“Couldn’t you sleep last night?” Gi Kwang asked leaning forward and inspecting Dongwoon.

“I-I… played some video games until late!” rushed to answered the boy and pulled back. Gi Kwang cocked his head to the left and looked him with kind of a pouty face.

“You still hate me.” Stated the boy sighing.

“Yah! I told you I don’t!” this time screamed Dongwoon and earned the looks of the whole class. Noticing that he rested his elbow at his desk and supported his head with his palm. “Why don’t we talk about it later?”

“Yea, sure I will give you time to think of a lie.” Sighed again the boy and pouted. The raven haired boy stood up and Dongwoon grabbed his hand pulling him to sit back down, though the action may have seemed as a harsh one, actually it was not harmful at all.

“Son Dongwoon, leave him alone or you’re going to the principal.” Dongwoon heard a voice and giggled. He looked up to find Choi Jonghun glaring down at him with his arms crossed on his chest and his longish black hair tied in a little ponytail.

“Yea, sure, Vice Class Rep.” smiled the boy and put his arms up in a surrendering manner. He stood up and looked down at Gi Kwang smiling softly. “I really don’t hate you.” With that the blond left to head to his usual rooftop spot and chat with his two dorky friends. Of course before he exited the room he heard whispers of how violet and barbaric he was. Nothing new, really.

 

 

The moment the boy opened the door he stormed in the fenced space and rushed to the fence, kicking the innocent metal net and earning questioning looks from his two friends.

“What’s with you?” asked Doojoon tugging the boy’s jeans.

“I hate it! Why do people misunderstand me?!” he yelled at his friend, not intentionally and slumped down sighing. “I don’t hate him, nor did I want to hurt him…”

“Wait, what happened? Hate who? Hurt who?” asked Junhyung worried but before Dongwoon could answer Gi Kwang popped up out of nowhere with Yoseob tagging along.

“Dongwoon-ah! I’m so sorry!” panicked Gi Kwang sitting on his knees in front of the blond boy, his hands rested on the cement floor. “I didn’t want that to happen! I’m really really sorry!”

Dongwoon was totally shocked by his hyung’s behavior so he faintly heard Doojoon asking Yoseob for explanation and the boy answering him.

“It’s not your fault…” mumbled Dongwoon looking down. It really wasn’t Gi Kwang’s fault. It was his. He was ignoring him at school and all…

“It is! It all happened because I behaved like that and I’m really sorry! I cleared everything up, so please don’t be mad.” The blond boy looked the raven haired one in the eyes and they looked really rounded, when they were usually quite narrow. And with those glasses he looked like an owl. At the thought he giggled and hid his face, confusing everyone.

“Yah! Come here.” Suddenly Dongwoon pulled Gi Kwang in a headlock and started ruffling his hair making the boy in his grasp whine and plead to be let go. When he did let him go he grabbed the boy’s face with both his hands and stared at him. “I. Don’t. Hate. You.” With that he let him go and leaned back. “I don’t want people misunderstanding you because of me and treating you bad, since I’m the violent delinquent here.” The boy looked at his hands knowing his reasoning was stupid.

“What this idiot wants to say is that your styles are too different and people bad mouth for no reason, so he’s scared of ruining your image.” Explained Junhyung for him.

“But mine and his and Hyunseung’s are different too and we’re still friends.” Defended Yoseob crossing his arms on his chest.

“You’re cheerful and nice, Hyunseung is kind, but we have a really bad image here. And we rarely see each other at school, but you’re in the same class with Woonnie so… I kind of get him.” Answered Doojoon shrugging.

“I choose my own friends and I don’t care what people think!” snarled Gi Kwang and everyone looked him kind of shocked. The boy was usually really composed and positive but right at that moment it was like someone else stood before them. All angry and tense. “You guys are really nice despite what people say about you and I would like you to be my friends too… I really don’t care what others say.” The black haired one looked at Dongwoon with serious face before he continued. “Please be friends with me.”

The blonde stared at the boy for a few minutes before he nodded and Gi Kwang broke into his eye smile and hugged him, which was a shock to almost everyone (except Yoseob who smiled widely) and made Dongwoon blush a little.

“Hey, let’s go to the arcades after school. Everyone?” the shorty boy asked all of a sudden, making Gi Kwang release Dongwoon from his hug.

“I haven’t been there in ages!” the raven haired one exclaimed looking at the shocked trio with sparkling eyes, who nodded without even thinking seriously about it. It was just heartbreaking to decline the over-excited boy.

“That’s ‘coz you study a lot lately.” Chuckled Yoseob and pulled his friend. “Doojoonnie, Junhyung-hyung if you finish first come to fetch us.” At that Doojoon smiled like a goof and nodded and when Yoseob and Gi Kwang were out of sight Dongwoon and Junhyung made a gaging faces, which earned them a smack on the head.

“Anyway~” started Doojoon all of a sudden, interrupting the boys’ whines. “I thought you were going to give up on Gi Kwang? Or is it too hard? You blushed so bad!” continued the boy in a mocking manner.

“It’s not that… well I do have some feelings, but it’s not because of that…”

“Spill.” Commanded Junhyung moving more to Doojoon’s side.

“When we were at the disco and when the slow music played and I left Junhyung to dance with Hyunseung I saw AJ in the bathroom and…”

“Woonnie, you saw him up close and didn’t tell?!” Doojoon exclaimed.

“Let him finish!”

“So… he talked to me and I said something that made him laugh and he had a really adorable eye smile like Gi Kwang’s, but then he… pushed me to the wall and kissed me…”

“WHAT!?” both boys exclaimed wide-eyed. “So that’s why you were so distracted later?” asked Junhyung getting a nod from Dongwoon.

“Why didn’t you tell us?!”

“I had no idea how to explain it… it just happened.”

“Don’t mind don’t knowing how to explain, just tell us.” Said Junhyung patting the boy on the back. “And how was it?”

“Breathtaking. Literally.” The boys laughed and continued the conversation with interrogations about what happened actually.

 

The two groups of boys ended up going to the arcades together, following an over-excised Gi Kwang around. Hyunseung would try and talk with Junhyung who would give small replies and distract himself with some game, though that didn’t stop the orange haired one to bother him. Doojoon and Yoseob would always be together and after Gi Kwang playing every game with the raven haired one and Dongwoon would drag behind smiling at everyone. He liked how their groups come together and how they matched. Hyunseung was getting under Junhyung’s skin, even though he would not admit it; Yoseob and Doojoon were just a few steps away before the one asks the other on a date and he himself was getting along with Gi Kwang. He won’t say they would go somewhere beyond friends with his mind stuck on how he wants to see AJ and how Gi Kwang only resembles him in his mind, because of his smile, but he was glad they could be friends.

Now everyone was stuck near the DDR game (Dance Dance Revolution) and were watching Yoseob play against Gi Kwang, who was failing miserably. Dongwoon couldn’t take the sight of the poor boy so ne got up and started stepping on the arrows too, as to help him.

“Not fair!” whined Yoseob, pouting, still concentrated on the game.

“I’m just helping the klutz to not have 0.” Defended the blond shrugging and stepping on the up arrow, while Gi Kwang stepped on the left and laughed.

“Doojoonnie~!” whined Yoseob and the oldest went to help Yoseob too.

At the end Doojoon and Yoseob won, but Dongwoon still raised his hand for a high five to Gi Kwang who smiled and hit his hand with his own smiling.

“You guys are such kids.” Commented Junhyung smirking.

“Especially Yoseob, they would’ve lost without Doojoon helping you.” Finished Hyunseung crossing his arms and shaking his head.

“Neh, appa, umma~!” sing-sang the other four after sharing a look and making Junhyung roll his eyes and grunt and Hyunseung blush.

“Ah, I want a drink.” Said out of the blue Yoseob, sighing. “But I’m too lazy to get one.”

“I’ll go get it. Does someone else want something?” proposed Gi Kwang stepping out of the game’s platform.

“You don’t have to go. Or someone can come with you.”

“No need to, Seunggie I want to go alone. I will take a rest from this.” Said the glasses boy, scratching the back of his head. With that everyone gave him an order and went to buy everything while the rest continued to play.

Ten minutes later Dongwoon saw the boy coming back with all the drinks, when suddenly someone stopped him and exclaimed quite loudly something like “Lee Kwang Chin” which was obviously not Gi Kwang. Gi Kwang shook his head and made an attempt to continue his way but the boy grabbed his arm and stopped him continuing to talk about something, making the other obviously uncomfortable. Dongwoon sighed and shook his head, not believing how people could continue bother others, while they were obviously trying to escape, so he went to help Gi Kwang out.

When he neared in he could quite well hear what the boy was saying.

“Come on, we’ve know each other for years. Treating me like you don’t know me it’s cold, even though we broke up that bad. I’m sorry it didn’t work, man.”

“I told you I’m not who you think I am.” Whined Gi Kwang with tears b out his eyes.

“Come on, Kwang Chin, don’t be like this.”

“Kiki, what’s keeping you so long?” asked Dongwoon, annoyed at the guy. Gi Kwang snapped his head in his direction shocked and Dongwoon smiled, asking silently for the boy to play along. Using his nickname just slipped from his tongue.

“I-I…” stuttered the boy and looked at the guy.

“Oh, do you know him?” asked the blond getting the tray with drinks from the raven haired one’s hands, which were shaking.

“No.” Dongwoon turned to the persistent guy and glared at him.

“Scram before I beat you up. This guy’s name is not Kwang Chin, or whatever.”

“Oh, are you the jealous boyfriend protecting him?”

“What’s happening here?” asked Doojoon nearing them with the others behind.

“This dude is bugging Gi Kwang.”

“Gi Kwang?” the boy asked eyeing the shaking boy. His eyes widened and his mouth opened to speak before Yoseob and Hyunseung stood before him.

“How about you go? These three are not that patient.” Said Yoseob pointing his chic at the direction of the ‘delinquent’ trio. When the unknown boy saw them he obviously shivered at Junhyung’s cold stare and the sound from Doojoon’s knuckles popping. The guy left without a word and the moment he was gone Gi Kwang’s two friends turned around and panicked around him, asking him if he was fine and what did the guy said. The boy only smiled and said everything was fine, but his smile was kind of a sad one.

Dongwoon handed the tray to Doojoon and grabbed Gi Kwang’s hand.

“We’ll be at the café I usually take you guys to. Come later when you finish the drinks and the credits* we bought.” With that he dragged Gi Kwang out of the arcade center and down the street.

 

Gi Kwan’s POV:

The boy was heading back with a tray of drinks when some guy stopped him, saying he was Kwang Chin. The boy did knew this guy, he was a neighbor when they were little, but later he moved away and he had no contact with him, and his brother was more of a friend of him anyway.

“I’m sorry I don’t know you.” He bowed lightly and attempted to go away, only for the guy to grab him and stop him.

“Hey, is your brother here too? Is that why you’re like this? Or is it because we broke up?”

“What?”

“Don’t play dumb. Kwang Chin-ah.” Gi Kwang started to tear up and he saw Dongwoon coming. This is something he didn’t want the younger boy to hear so he made one last attempt to go away.

“I really don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Come on, we’ve know each other for years. Treating me like you don’t know me it’s cold, even though we broke up that bad. I’m sorry it didn’t work, man.”

“I told you I’m not who you think I am.” Whined the boy at the verge of tears. He was not that emotional, but finding something about his brother he had no idea about and from this guy was now helping him at all.

“Come on, Kwang Chin, don’t be like this.”

“Kiki, what’s keeping you so long?” asked Dongwoon making Gi Kwang look him wide eyed. The boy never called him ‘Kiki’, actually he never called anyone in a nickname, or at least he never heard it.

“I-I…” he stuttered his brain totally off.

“Oh, do you know him?”

“No.” at that the blonde turned to the other and glared.

“Scram before I beat you up. This guy’s name is not Kwang Chin, or whatever.” Gi Kwang had no idea what was more shocking – hearing his brother’s name from Dongwoon or hearing him threatening someone. Either way he was shocked.

“Oh, are you the jealous boyfriend protecting him?”

“What’s happening here?” came Doojoon’s voice and the boy saw everyone nearing.

“This dude is bugging Gi Kwang.”

“Gi Kwang?” the boy asked eyeing him. Nice, now he was going to be exposed and he had to explain…  but before that happened Yoseob and Hyunseung stood before him.

“How about you go? These three are not that patient.” Said Yoseob pointing his chic at the direction of the ‘delinquent’ trio. When the unknown boy saw them he obviously shivered at Junhyung’s cold stare and the sound from Doojoon’s knuckles popping, which was enough scary for Gi Kwang himself and he was not the scared type. The guy left without a word and the moment he was gone Gi Kwang’s two friends turned around and panicked around him, asking him if he was fine and what did the guy said. The boy only smiled and said everything was fine, not wanting to say anything.

Suddenly Dongwoon grabbed Gi Kwang’s hand surprising the boy.

“We’ll be at the café I usually take you guys to. Come later when you finish the drinks and the credits* we bought.” With that he dragged Gi Kwang out of the arcade center and down the street.

After about 20 minutes of silent walk they reached not so occupied street and entered a small café. It was really small, with around 7 tables, a bar that was placed on the left wall right after you enter and a small piano on the opposite wall of the door.

“Welcome, Woonnie, I see you brought a new friend.” Smiled the owner at Gi Kwang who only nodded.

“Uncle, I’m too old for you to call me that.”

“Doojoon and Junhyung are calling you like that too.” Defended the old man.

“They heard it from you.” Hissed the blond and turned to Gi Kwang smiling. “This is my uncle. Uncle this is my classmate Gi Kwang.”

“Nice to meet you. I’m glad my nephew has other friends too.”

“Nice to meet you too.” Bowed the boy and the moment he was up Dongwoon was pushing him to one of the tables.

“Uncle, two hot chocolates with marshmallow, please~!” sang the youngster and headed to the piano sitting on it. He turned around so he could face Gi Kwang and smiled. “I don’t know what that guy said to make you upset, and I’m not asking you to tell me, but I wanted to give you space so we came here. Also I’m not that good at playing the piano and singing, but bear with it.” With that the boy started playing the piano and soon after he started singing. The song was DBSK’s Doue, Gi Kwang figured that out even with Dongwoon’s bad pronunciation. He was not a pro at playing the piano, but his voice was husky and smooth at the same time and it was really nice to listen to. He smiled at the thought that he showed him something maybe not a lot of people knew.

“He has a really nice voice, right?” his uncle spoke, taking back Gi Kwang to Earth and startling him a little.

“Deh.” Smiled the boy getting the cup of hot chocolate to his mouth. When the old man went back to his place the boy took out his phone and typed Yoseob a message he hoped only his friend would see.

“Yoseob-ah… I may be doing a mistake.”

 

At the end of the week Gi Kwang was like usual at the club but this time the boy was not dancing. He was patiently staying up the wall next to the exit and waiting. He knew everyone found it weird, but he had to do it.

As soon as his friends entered he went to them and grabbed Dongwoon’s hand taking him out of the club, leaving everyone baffled… except Hyunseung and Yoseob, but they did try playing it off. The blond didn’t ask a thing he just followed, which kind of worried the dancer, but he thought maybe Dongwoon was too shocked to register what was happening.

When they reached a park he stopped at a bench and looked at the boy. His face was calm and he was smiling.

“Are you that happy you were abducted?” Dongwoon shook his head and sat on the bench.

“You just reminded me of someone. And why did you abduct me?” Gi Kwang only looked at him not knowing how to answer and Dongwoon was patiently waiting for one. The dancer sat at the bench and leaned back looking at the floor.

“I have no idea. I needed someone to talk to about something.”

“Why me?”

“You don’t know me?”

“A lot of people don’t.”

“They’re not you.” Dongwoon chuckled at that before looking at the boy in the eyes.

“And what’s so special about me?”

You’re special to me.” Thought the boy but sighed thinking of a reason. “If I have to confess I see you around a lot actually.” That was practically not a lie. “And I saw how you saved your friend at the arcades on Monday. A guy like you can’t be bad. And I really needed someone to talk to who doesn’t know about it.”

“I’m honored. You can talk to me.” Gi Kwang sighed and closed his eyes.

“Actually I have a twin… Recently some guy thought I was him and threw a fit how I didn’t greet him and how I should’ve said hi despite how ‘we’ broke up.” Speaking everything in detail would blow his cover, so a little exaggerating won’t hurt. That was not the point of the conversation anyway. ”The thing is I had no idea my brother was dating, not to mention a guy. And we had quite the bond, speaking we are twins too. We were close and I was telling him everything and now I figured he actually lied to me…”

“Did you ask him about it?”

“My brother died three years ago…”

“Oh… I’m sorry, I thought...”

“Don’t be, you didn’t know him and I just wanted to share it with someone, because it was eating me up. Thank you for it.”

“I’m glad I helped I guess. You can talk to me anytime.”

“Even if I still wear my mask?”

“No chance of seeing your face?”

“Never.”

“Bummer.” Pouted Dongwoon and made Gi Kwang laugh.

“Close your eyes for a little.” Dongwoon complied and closed them and Gi Kwang covered them like the previous time, taking his mask off a little and giving a peck to the boy’s lips, retreating fast and covering his face again. “A ‘thank you’ for listening to me.”

“Why a peck?”

“I told you I took a liking to you.”

 

***

I haven't re-read it so it may have some mistakes... Sorry for that. And why piano version of DBSK's Doue? 2 reasons: 1st - I LOVE the song, 2nd - I LOVE Dongwoon playing the piano. The combination is great in my mind XD

Yea... This is for now. [wow such a small AN...]

Thank you for reading~ <3 ^^