In the Elevator

Books and Beats

After their encounter on the first day Dongwoon didn’t see AJ anymore. On top of that the boy rarely replied to him and now when it was the last day Dongwoon received a message saying he was returning to Seoul. He had no idea what happened to AJ, but it worried him. The blond boy stared at the screen on his phone displaying ‘no new messages’ and grunted, snapping the device shut and tossing it on Junhyung’s bed. Dongwoon lied down, a hand over his eyes and tried ignoring what the masked boy told him.

“Dongwoon-ah… Later you can hate me with all your heart… Please, just don’t hide it.”

What kind of parting words were these? Why would he hate him? Sure he had no idea what the boy’s real identity was, but what did it matter? He was cheerful and someone he could talk to. He was like the version of Gi Kwang that matched him… The boy yelled and sat abruptly hiding his face in the palms of his hands. Junhyung emerged from the bathroom, a toothbrush in mouth and wide opened eyes.

“What happened?” he looked at the maknae with worried eyes and the blond only whined and plopped again on the bed.

“Hyung, I’m messed up! I have no idea what’s with me… You told me to sort my feelings but I can’t… I just can’t stop comparing them. Every time I see Gi Kwang laugh I will remember AJ laughing at some lame joke of mine, every time I annoy AJ I will think of a pouting Gi Kwang… Which one I like? I can’t understand. With both of them my heart will pound, I will get the mood changes in both of them. I have no idea, hyung.” The older boy sighed and sat down next to his friend, throwing his hand around the maknae’s shoulder and pulling him closer.

“Maybe you like Gi Kwang more, since you liked him first and since AJ only reminds you of him but is someone you can approach you like him too. I really don’t know. Maybe that’s why AJ left. He left you to sort it out?”

“I don’t know…” Dongwoon rested his head on Junhyung’s shoulder and closed his eyes.

“I have an idea… Let me text Hyunseung first.” The blond boy lifted his head from the older one’s shoulder and let him stand up and go text his boyfriend. At the thought he smiled. Both his hyungs found someone to be with and here he was being a kid torn between two boys.

“I’m happy for you.” Said the boy all of a sudden and Junhyung turned to face him. “I’m happy you two are happy.”

“You will be happy too.” Said Junhyung, resting his body on the study table in the room and crossing his arms on his chest, a smile plastered on his lips.

 

Gi Kwang’s POV:

Hyunseung looked at his phone and smiled; then he looked at the grumpy Gi Kwang and sighed.

“Kiki, can’t you play being happy inside too?”

“Thanks for going through this with me, Seunggie.” Snickered the boy and faced his friend. His hair was still black, just in case someone knocked on their door. It was still 8PM after all.

“We told you to be careful. Why didn’t you just put up with the kiss in the club?” asked the orange haired one while typing on his phone.

“Because I’m not confident when I’m with my school image.”

“Then some beer will cheer you up?” asked Hyunseung smirking at his phone.

“We’re minors… and our parents aren’t here…” said Gi Kwang slowly eyeing his friend. Did he go crazy?

“Apparently Doojoon somehow got some with him from Seoul. Yoseob said to go to their room, since ours is off limits and Junhyung’s room is upstairs.”

“Junhyung’s and Dongwoon’s.” corrected him the black haired boy and sat up looking around for his glasses.

“I worry about my man, you about yours.” Hyunseung shrugged while opening the door. “Don’t slack.”

“He’s not my man…” mumbled Gi Kwang going out of the room.

 

Gi Kwang was sitting on Yoseob’s bed (or no one’s since he would bet that Doojoon and Yoseob slept curled up into each other) a beer in hand and a smug expression.

“What’s with you?” asked Doojoon sitting across from him.

“I’m not used to drinking.” Smiled apologetically the boy and left the beer at the nightstand.

“We will look out and not get you drunk, I promise.” With that the oldest got up and went to open the door, on which was knocked. As soon as it opened Gi Kwang saw Hyunseung smirking, eyes sparkling from kilometers. He had no idea how Yoseob was still not aware of this, or maybe he was too high in the clouds himself to notice. Gi Kwang himself looked up to see Dongwoon and for his joy or grief the boy had almost the same expression as him.

“What’s with him?” Doojoon asked Junhyung who only shrugged and looked at the oldest with a look that obviously told he would tell him later. Gi Kwang took his beer again and gulped quite an amount of it, without anyone noticing how much he drank actually.  He was just about to gulp again when Yoseob turned to him.

“Kiki-ah~.” Oh, this was not going to nowhere good. “Will you go buy chips? I’m too lazy to get dressed and I don’t want to send Hyunseung, you know how he is.”

“There are 3 more people here.”

“But if Doojoonnie goes then I have to go with him.” Gi Kwang sighed and looked at Junhyung and Dongwoon. If he sent Junhyung then Hyunseung was baiting his head off, since the two of them couldn’t get too close the whole day and now they could sit casually next to each other since the room was small. That left Dongwoon…

“Why don’t you and Woonnie go together?” Junhyung asked, sitting on the ground, in front of Hyunseung. “You can carry more stuff?”

“Why don’t you go, hyung?” complained the maknae and Junhyung shrugged.

“I don’t need some fresh air, compared to someone.” At the heard the boy sighed and stretched his hand out.

“Money and list with what’s to be bought.”

 

 

The trip to and fro the nearest marked was silent. None of them was in the mood to talk, not that they would usually talk, but still…

“Hyung,…” Dongwoon all of a sudden broke the silence, making the boy turn around and see that the maknae had stopped with his hand pointing to the right. “We’re here.”

“Oh…”said the older facing up and taking the sight of the hotel they were staying in.

“Is there something on your mind?” asked the blond when Gi Kwang got back next to him.

“Nothing serious.”

“Sounds familiar.” Smiled Dongwoon and pressed the button to the elevator.

When the machine came and took them in it was still the awkward silence surrounding them, like it always did… well at least when Gi Kwang was the way he was now. Suddenly the elevator stopped between the 3rd and 4th floor, the lamps in the metal box went off and Gi Kwang almost fall atop Dongwoon.

“What happened?” asked the boy with the glasses, panicked.

“I will call Junhyung-hyung to see.” The younger got his phone from his pocket and dialed his friend’s number. “Ah, hyung… We’re in the elevator… Yea, apparently… Between the 3rd and 4th floor… Mmm, ok. We’re not going anywhere… I’m not joking, just chill.” Dongwoon smiled, apparently finding it amusing that their friends were worried sick. He put his phone again in his pocket and faced the older boy. “They will talk to the staff. The whole hotel is without electricity so we will have to wait.”

Ten minutes later Doojoon called them to inform the two boys that they were stuck there for at least half an hour. It was not like the elevator broke so they were trying to fix the electricity first.

That was 20 minutes ago. Now Dongwoon and Gi Kwang were sitting next to each other on the floor, a bag with chips, cookies, coca-cola and what-not lying besides Dongwoon.

“Can you say something?” the silence was making Gi Kwang panic, so he finally broke it. And maybe that almost gone can of beer was helping… or so he liked to think.

“What’s on your mind, Gi Kwang-hyung?” asked the boy leaning back on the metal.

“What does it matter? It’s nothing you should worry over.”

“Maybe it worries me that you’re worried?”

“Why would you care?” laughed the boy looking at his hands. “I’m just the add-on to the company of Yoseob and Hyunseung. You don’t have to worry about me.”

“What are you talking about?” Dongwoon’s voice sounded stern, something the dancer never heard from him, but he ignored that and continued talking.

“We never talk when we’re alone… It’s awkward and it’s like both of us want the other away… So why do you bother?”

“I don’t know about you, but I don’t want you away.” At that Gi Kwang looked into Dongwoon’s eyes. “You said it at the rooftop, right? That we’re friends? Are you backing in on that now?”

“Dongwoon-ah… What am I to you?”

“A precious friend.”

“How precious?”

“Does it matter?”

“It does.” Murmured the older baiting his lip and looking down.

“Hyung?”

The lights went on. The elevator started moving again, though Gi Kwang and Dongwoon stayed down, Gi Kwang’s lips were on Dongwoon’s, his hand the boy’s shirt and his legs straddling the other’s. Gi Kwang pulled back eyes straight into the widened ones of Dongwoon. He smiled faintly and as soon as the elevator rang, announcing their arrival, the dancer stood up, running out of the small metal box, past his friends, who were waiting patiently; and straight to his and Hyunseung’s room.

Of course Hyunseung followed, finding a crying Gi Kwang sitting a few steps from the door. The older one shut the door and locked it as soon as he saw his friend in that condition.

“Kiki?” the older’s voice was faint, barely audible.

“It’s over, Seunggie. If he didn’t figure it out… No, if he refuses to figure it out I will just leave him with no choice but to face it… I’m tired.” With that his friend hugged him tight, rocking him back and forth, telling him everything will be alright, that he was there.

 

Doojoon’s POV:

The boy was lying on the bed staring at the ceiling. He had no idea what happened earlier with Gi Kwang and Dongwoon in the elevator, but Junhyung promised to tell him the minute he found out. The man sighed and rubbed the temples of his eyes. He reached for his phone, only to see the battery was gone.

“Ah… I better text Jun to not call until tomorrow.” The boy reached to Yoseob’s phone and right before he grabbed it he thought a little about it. He tried getting Yoseob’s phone earlier these days and the boy was really frantic about not letting him see it. His hand hovered over the device a little before he looked at the bathroom.

“Yoseobbie, are you getting out soon?”

“In 10 minutes~!” cheered the boy from inside the bathroom.

It’s not like he was going to find out, right? He would delete the text and tell Jun not to tell. It’s not like he would start browsing through it. He was more worried about his maknae than Yoseob getting mad at him. Without thinking twice he took the phone, sat up and unlocked it.

….

He’s seeing things, right? What he’s seeing now can’t be real.

….

There, on the wallpaper of Yoseob’s phone, was a photo of Yoseob, Hyunseung and Gi Kwang… thought there were two Gi Kwangs and none of them looked like the Gi Kwang he knew. None of them looked dull and nerdy. The opposite – they looked dazzling, even being too different from one another. Hyunseung was with dark hair so… was the picture old …because he has never seen the boy with something else than orange as his hair color. He gripped the phone tighter. He was not stupid. There was something going on that not he, nor Junhyung, nor Dongwoon knew about… and especially not Dongwoon.

The door of the bathroom opened and Doojoon looked up at his blond boyfriend, he hoped he would stay as one, his eyes angry and piercing. Yoseob arched a brow, confused, before he saw his phone in his boyfriend’s hands. The younger’s eyes widened and he hurried and snatched the phone away.

“I told you not to touch it!” yelled the blond, but Doojoon stayed still. For a moment Yoseob saw why he too was labeled as a delinquent – he was beyond scary.

“If you were scared so much that I will see it, why did you leave the picture as wallpaper? … All I wanted was to text Jun, since my phone is out of battery and what do I see?” the man stood up stepping towards Yoseob, who clutched the phone close to his chest. “Hey, Yoseobbie, care to explain?” Doojoon continued to go forward while Yoseob went backwards, that was until Yoseob’s back hit the wall and Doojoon leaned above him, still glaring. “I won’t be mad… Just explain?” he raised his eyebrows a little, but he still looked angry. Like someone who would beat him to a pulp. Yoseob gulped and looked down at the phone. He unlocked it and frowned.

“This is me, Seunggie, Kiki and Chin… Actually it’s Kwang Chin – Gi Kwang’s brother.”

“Brother?”

“Deh… He was Gi Kwang’s twin brother… Three years ago he was hit by a car, along with their father…” Doojoon retrieved his hand back and made space for the blond, as for him not to feel suffocated. “Can you believe this scary looking guy was our Kiki?” the blond smiled, eyes tearing up; “Though he was a big fool and he laughed a lot too, most of the time he would look like this. The one smiling is Chin. After he died Kiki changed. He stopped dancing, and he loved it so much, but he stopped. He studied hard to get where we are now, his mom and he moved; now he lives around me and Seung but I still want the old Kiki back, not the one who is always pretending… After a year passed he started getting back to himself a little, but only around me and Hyunseung, but I hate that he has to lie to others…  For the others he is the Gi Kwang you all know and I don’t like it, because that’s not the Gi Kwang I know for almost all my life...” Yoseob stopped and buried his head in Doojoon’s chest, wrapping his hands around the older’s waist tight.

“Yoseobbie, is Gi Kwang…?” the question was left unfinished but the blond understood it.

“Isn’t it obvious?” he looked at Doojoon, eyes not even blinking. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, but that was his wish.” Doojoon hugged the smaller boy tight and rested his head atop his.

“You know Dongwoon is important to me, right?” the blond nodded. “I don’t want to lie to him.”

“I know, but… can you wait a little? Kiki wants to tell him himself… Give him some time to do it, please?”

“I will.”

 

 

***

Hey readers: Merry Christmas to the ones still reading~! ^^
It won't be long until Kiki tells him, don't worry I won't drag it too long =)
Please comment me with your oppinion?

Thank you for reading!