Two Cosmopolitan And One On The Beach

Daddy Is An Original Hipster

“Hello?” an overweight man clicked his fingers in my face, “I said I wanted a white moccha, not a black moccha!”

No please? No thank you? Serioulsy I plastered on my fake smile and tried my best to be nice to this jerk. And seriously I couldn’t tell the difference between a white mocha and a black moccha

“Coming right up sir, please excuse us for our mistake.”

“Yeah, be glad I’m not hurried or complained to your boss.”

Oh how I loved working at Starbucks! Rude customers, men that your for free and a boss that watches you like a hawk.

“Lee Chaerin, I’m leaving you for a minute and you make a mistake? Aish, stop daydreaming or I’ll really fire you. You know I’ve been with you because you have a daughter but I won’t protect you eternally!”

Well speaking about the boss…

I didn’t care because just 20 minutes and the work will be over. And I was going out tonight with my friends. I actually hated clubs but I didn’t have the choice as my dear friends forced me. It was a girls’ night. It was Bom unni’s idea because in her opinion I wasn’t going out enough for a girl who was still single. Indeed, it should sound inimaginable to her as she was already married to Seunghyun and Dara unni was dating Youngbae since high school. I was the only single girl in our group. It was slightly frustrating to be the only one alone when we were all gathering for special events.

 

 

We ended up at a place called Pink Paradise. The bar was crowded but it was a Friday night so it wasn’t surprising.

“What do you want to drink girls?” the barman asked us. It was a cute guy, nice and friendly. Too bad because Bommie unni was ing him with her eyes.

“These girls would like a cosmopolitan and I would like a “ on the beach”…” Unni said seducing the man who just gasped.

“Noona, stop seducing the barman! You’re married remember!” Dara sighed.

“And what?” Bom unni retorted rolling her eyes

“You’re his wife!”

“And he’s not here to see what I’m doing. We’re a free couple!”

 “Here are your cocktails girls!” the barman said, avoiding Bom unni.

“Thank you very much cuty!” Bom noona said.

“I give up… He’s too handsome, must be gay.” Bom unni shouted suddenly

The cocktails were put on front of us and after I had paid for all of us we both picked up the shot in our hands and looked to each other with happy faces.

"Drink!" Dara unni shouted

"Jesus, that tastes like crap!" Bom unni laughed grimacing as she wiped .

As Dara unni started a conversation about Youngbae’s hormones, I looked over to the dance floor as a flash of something bright, reflecting the laser lighted back at me.  I looked attentively as I thought I’d seen a familiar face in the crowd.

I shook my head and looked at Bom unni who was suddenly too busy scanning the crowd to notice me. Finally, it seemed that her eyes found what she was looking for.

"Damn, he's hot! See ya guys later!" She got up and rushed towards her victim. It was her habit, she couldn’t go out in a bar without flirting with men.

“Damn, she’s impossible…” I sighed

“I’ll follow her, don’t worry” Dara unni gave me a wink

 

I sighed as she left the bar to the dance floor where Bom unni was. It seemed I would have to stay alone tonight. I ordered a Sprite and I ignored the barkeeper's eyebrow raise. I probably looked weird as I was the only twenty-three year old girl at the bar that wasn't drinking.

I sighed again when a man sat in the stool next to me. What the hell, did I forget to turn on the 'Piss off' sign attached to my back or something? Actually I wasn’t surprised, I was left alone in the bar full of men. I should have known that one of them would accost me. It was really boring but inevitable. So, I decided to behave. Sort of.

“I’m sorry but I’m not interes…” I started to say bitterly as I gave him my most threatening glance I ever made.

But then I realized I knew him.

 “Hi to you too dear neighbor.” he smiled warmly to me as he supporting his stance with his forearms that protected his beer on the counter.

“Oh, it’s just you Jiyong. I’m sorry I thought you were one of these desperate guys who pick up girls.” I explained a bit relieved

He looked delighted at this response and grinned as he came closer to me taking his glass in his hand.

“Don’t worry I understand you, I have the same problems with girls.” he offered me a genuine smile

“As if you would complain…” I rolled my eyes, “So, are you stalking me now?” I narrowed my eyes suspicious looking back at my drink

"No, I come here often. What's a girl like you doing at a place like this?" he asked slowly straightening his posture as he took a sip of his beer

“Haru’s at my parents’. I accompany my friends” I said pointing to the crowd in which my unnis where probably dancing and doing-whatever-what with some men.

"Ah," he winced, actually looking slightly apologetic as he saw on my face that I wasn’t enjoying my time waiting for them at the bar.

“And you? Waiting for your annoying friends too?” I asked

Laughing lightly, he titled his head my way and spoke softly, “My friends and I are here for a couple of drinks and to celebrate."

I raised an eyebrow, "Celebrating what?"

“Bigbang’s new album, we finished the last song yesterday.” he stated

“Wow, but I thought you had lost your inspiration…”

“Well, it happened that someone appeared in my life and inspired me.” Jiyong explained another smile gracing his face

“Good to you then” I congratulated him half-smiling, “you shouldn’t spend your night with a boring girl like me then…”

“You’re not boring, actually you’re the only normal person I have met tonight. Except the fact that you’re drinking Sprite!” his eyes danced with laughter

“These young chicks have been looking at you for a while now! You should go join them.” I took a sip.

Not that I hated being in his presence but I was kinda uneasy seeing these girls looking at us for at least ten minutes.

“I don’t want them. And I already get my young chick…” Jiyong laughed as he leant against my shoulder and nudged me with his elbow playfully

I was stunned. I didn't know what to say, how to react. I smiled a dopey smile

“Shut up.” I groaned and nudged him back

“Why?” a small smile playing on his lips.

“Nothing, I just don’t see myself as a “young chick” really!” I half-smiled uneasy

“Well technically for me you’re a young chick because you’re younger than me.” And the smile broadened as he took a fresh sip of his newly topped up beer that the bartender had just placed in front of him.

“These girls are young, I’m not. I’m 24. And I gave birth to a baby.” I sighed

“Stop denying yourself…” he rolled his eyes annoyed

“I’m just being honest with myself. See, I don’t attire a lot of guys tonight…” I looked down trying to cover my now blushing face

“You’re not just a mother chaerin. You’re a woman too and honestly for me you can beat these girls easily.” He posed hesitating and finally added, “You have amazing legs.”

“My tummy is flat.”

“Amazing s.”

“Because I’m fat.”

“You’re not fat, it’s called curves.”

“Guys nowadays like thin girls.”

“I’m not one of these guys.” He looked amused by the situation

“Then why am I alone at the bar?”

Jiyong sighed finishing his beer as if I was irritating him. He straightened on his seat and turned to face me. We hold each other's gaze for a long moment. Then Jiyong shook his head and bit his lower lip as he took my hand in his.

“Because I already claimed you. You’re mine tonight.”

"Oh," was the only intelligible noise I was able to make.  

I felt my heart stutter in my chest. Well, I couldn’t deny that this man was intriguing and made his effect on me! What was going on? I was never the type that even considered this type of scenario happening, let alone hoping the night would end up like I suspected it would. My mind was wandering, working a thousand miles a minute and I failed to realize Jiyong was asking me to dance with him.

 

 “What? No, no, no, no, I’m not dancing. I don’t know how to dance!”

“Me neither. I just want you to relax and have fun. Nothing more.” He assured me not moving his eyes away from me.

“Fine, then…” I smiled trying to relax as Jiyong held my hand securely and led me onto the dance floor. We walked past Bom unni and Dara unni who gave me a thumbs up causing me to blush.

Well, I’ll have to explain that to them later.

We stopped in the middle of the dance floor and Jiyong wrapped his hands around my waist and pulled me closer. I reluctantly rested mines on his chest.

The song was Addicted to you by Avicii and was particularly slow and romantic.

We began to sway slowly to the rhythm of the song. Jiyong took the lead. I was still very tense and rigid as I was very aware that most of the girls and boys’ eyes were on me and Jiyong. Jiyong didn’t notice or choose not to notice as he was looking straight at my eyes confidently. But I avoided eye contact by keeping my eyes on his chest.

“Trust me Chae” Jiyong leant down to whisper in my ear. So I looked up.

He was staring at me with his dark eyes sparkling and focusing on me. And I did relax. I felt my heart beat against his as we slowly swayed to the music. Without thinking about what I was doing, my fingers gently played with the short hair in the back of his neck. Our bodies moved flawlessly together, our rhythm perfect and our bodies fitting together ever so well. I felt Jiyong lowering his head again to nuzzle my neck and place a kiss onto my skin. I sighed of pleasure as a shiver ran down my spine at the feel.

We were still moving, slowly but passionate in small circles on the dance floor. Time seemed to stop as Jiyong’s hand slipped under my chin, tilting my head up and our eyes met, his intense eyes locked with mine. Without rush we brought our faces closer.

But then the song stopped and so did we pulling away, thought we didn’t really let go of each other. While he was unaware of his hand on the small of my back, I sure wasn’t. I felt myself blushing at the realization.

“Could we… Go out for a moment?” I shouting after I cleaned my throat looking down

“Sure.” Jiyong smiled

 

~

 

“Omo, it’s already 4am!” Chaerin exclaimed as we were heading to the nearer bus station, “I think I’m getting too old for this.”

I laughed a little, “Don’t be silly. What should I say then, huh?”

Chaerin gave me a silent huff and smiled. I had no idea, how something so simple as dancing could be this natural and feel so good.

“That you’re an ajusshi?” she smirked poking my shoulder

We sat next to each other at the bus station waiting for a bus which seemed to never arrive. It was our only way to go back home as neither of us had a driver license.

“Do you want to see something cool?” I suddenly asked a bit bored

“Hum… Should I be worried?” she scrunched her brows together skeptically

“Nah, don’t worry. It’s nothing dangerous, you know me!” I shrugged but Chaerin didn’t seem reassured so I just grabbed her hand and coaxed her, begging her to follow me

“Come, on. It’s not far away!” I laughed seeing Chaerin lazily pouting  

We reached the park a few minutes later. I ran over to a broad bench with seats on each side. I removed my jacket and lait it over the table, making it comfortable to lie on. Well, more comfortable at least. I gestured for Chaerin to sit next to me.

“Really? Sitting on a table in a park is what you call ‘cool’?” Chaerin sighed, “You’re really an ajusshi!”

“No, it’s not that.” I rolled my eyes

She mimicked my movement but she reluctantly sat on the table crossing her arms on her chest.

“And now?” she asked a bit impatient

“Let’s watch the stars.” I gave her my warmer smile and we leaned back to lay flat on my jacket.

The night sky stretched out above us, peppered with twinkling stars. The moon was full overhead and casted its silver glow across the park. It was actually one of the rare place in Seoul where you could see the stars. It was the perfect place to stargaze.

“Oh… It’s, beautiful.” Chaerin looked at me with a big grin on her face. She kinda reminded me of Haru.

“Yeah, I told you.” A small smile played across my lips. I knew she would like it.

 “Do you know the constellations?” she asked suspiciously

“Of course,” I challenged as I raised my arm to point the sky, “That one is Virgo. And that one is the Dog. And there’s Centaurus too.” I enumerated searching the sky for stars.

“Oh, you surprise me Kwon Jiyong. You’re smarter than I thought.” Chaerin smirked

“Yeah, my father was an astrophysicist.”

“Wow, really?” she cocked her head inquisitively

“Nah, kidding. I just looked on google.”

“You pabo.” She shook her head gazing at the stars

I didn’t know if it was because I was alone with her, but I felt freer and braver than usual and more self-confident. I felt like nothing was impossible now that I was next to Chaerin. My instinct was telling me that if something had to happen between us, it was now or never.

Still looking at the sky, I breathed deeply and slide my hand slowly over until I brushed the soft skin of Chaerin’s arm. Her breath hitched as I finally slide my hand to cup her palm. The weather was still hot but I could feel Goosebumps forming on my forearms at the contact. My heart was beating crazily even if I knew it would just be ephemeral as Chaerin would move her arm away. But surprisingly she didn’t and even intertwined our fingers together. I casted my head to the side and I locked my eyes with hers and I was struck by her lovely, glittering eyes. Looking through her eyes, the world was beautiful colored and hopeful. Through her eyes, I saw something in me that I could never read until now.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” she whispered

“Like what?”

“I don’t know. Like I’m this amazing person.”

I smiled and rolled on my side. I reached to brush back a lock of hair from her face, my fingers moving of their own accord to cradle the fine line of her jaw.

“Because you are.”

And then my lips were on hers and everything else faded behind the starbursts of electricity sparking in my veins. A quick flash of panic flitted through me when I realized I was kissing Lee Chaerin, but it faded away when I felt her fingers clench into my shirt because she was kissing me back.

Warmth blazed through my veins as I traced slowly the contour of her lips, playfully nipping her bottom lip with my teeth. I didn’t want to scare her or push her as I knew she still wasn’t self-confident. So the kiss stayed soft and tender, made of subtle moans and delicate caresses, until Chaerin pushed off of me.

My eyes were slow to blink open but when they did, I realized Chaerin had already sat up. And from the way her entire body tensed up, I knew that kiss was the wrong thing to do.

“Chae…’

‘Don’t.” she held up a hand and shaded her eyes with the other, “Just, don’t say anything. I’m going home and we’re going to pretend this didn’t happen.”

“Wait, what? No.”

I jumped to my feet. I got the impression that she was putting space between us. And that I wasn’t about to allow.

“Give me a good reason, Chae. Because I think you and I both know that we can’t forget what happened.”

“Jiyong, don’t. I just, I can’t right now. I’m sorry.”

I wanted to push. I wanted to tell her that she was more than a mother, she was the woman I felt for. I wanted to tell her that I would never hurt her and Haru, I would protect them against the world if I could. But I sighed then. I needed to be patient if Chaerin wasn’t ready. I really could.

Because it’d be worth the wait.