Scared

Daddy Is An Original Hipster

Four years ago

“What do you mean you want me to get an abortion?” she yelled in anger, “Are you out of your mind!”

“No, I’m not out of my ing mind!” he yelled back, “I want you to get the damn abortion!”

“Well, it’s not your decision is it? It must be your mother who convinced you, she hates me!”

“Let my mother out of that Chaerin! I can’t ing raise a kid! Do you know how expensive it is to raise a child? I don’t have the money for that!”

She couldn’t believe he had said that, “You’d have the money if you’d stop hanging out in bars almost every night with your stupid friends! If you really wanted to fond a family with me, you’d find the money for that! You’re selfish!”

“I’m selfish? I’m working all day for you so you can buy your stupid clothes! I bought this house for you. I even agreed to see your boring parents every Sunday for you! Can’t I just have time for myself sometimes?”

“So I’m a burden for you now? Am I made to shut my mouth and clean the house while you go all the girls you can?”

He had it. He was done. He walked right up to her and slapped her right across the face. “Don’t ever talk to me like that again.”

Tears forming in her face, Chaerin glared up at the man and tried not to cry as hard as she was now, “Go to hell.” She walked away and never looked back. She didn’t make eye contact.

She was going to do all she could to protect her little baby.

She couldn’t help thinking about these particular memories as she unconsciously locked her eyes with the man who had yelled at her and slapped her four years ago. The man she used to date and love. Haru’s father.

“Soohyuk…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chaerin was scared. Jiyong knew it at the way she was chewing on her lip, planning. Jiyong was actually proud of the fact he really understood Chaerin. He knew happy Chaerin. He knew sad Chaerin. He knew sick Chaerin, tired Chaerin, pouty Chaerin, drunk Chaerin, y Chaerin. And scared Chaerin. Jiyong was scared for her the most. Because this involved haru and he knew she would do everything to protect her, regardless of risk or repercussion. And the fact she hadn’t said one word since they had reach her apartment only caused his stomach to turn.

Jiyong remained silent. Both of them sitting on the sofa, he pulled her to him immediately and held her close to his side, but he remained silent. He watched as her mind ran through the scenario over and over.

“Why didn’t you tell me that Haru’s father is Lee Soohyuk?” he suddenly cut the heavy silence

Jiyong wasn’t familiar with South Korea economy and its biggest companies but he was well aware of who was Lee Soohyuk. In the last years, every citizens of Seoul had heard about him, in newspapers or on internet. Lee Soohyuk was the younger CEO of the city and consequently the most influential man of Seoul. Jiyong also heard about him in his own studio as Soohyuk was one of YG’s financial partner. He wouldn’t have imagined that this powerful man was Chaerin’s first love.

“He wasn’t the man he is nowadays. He just started working as a simple employee in his company when we were together.” Chaerin shrugged, “I’m going back to Haru’s school.”

“Chae…” Jiyong spoke her name and she turned to face him. Meeting his eyes and holding his gaze, she knew what was coming before he even spoke the words.

“Don’t stop me Jiyong.” she shook her head, voice small, weak.

“Haru’s going to be fine.”

“No she isn’t!” she shook her head, “this knew she’s going to this school.”

“Don’t be overly-dramastic Chaerin!” he ran a hand through his hair, “He’s not going to kidnap her or hurt her!”

 Chaerin stood then, “He is coming for Haru. What do you want me to do Jiyong? What do you want me to do huh? This man is one of the richest of Seoul, everyone loves him. And I, I’m just a starbucks poor employee. Can’t you see it? If he wants to separate me and Haru he will! Aren’t you worried about Haru?”

“Of course I am! You know I love her.” Jiyong yelled back exasperated

“It doesn’t seem like that.” She met his glare getting angry

“You’re doing it again Chaerin. Over-protecting Haru, trying to control everything.” He straightened anger in his eyes and his voice.

“Really?” her face twisted up, “And you what are you doing huh?” she walked away from him as her mind tried to sort through what was happening, “Sitting as if nothing happened? I’m over-protecting Haru because you don’t give a about my daughter!” she felt tears begin to form urging her to flee.

“Don’t give a about Haru? Don’t forget I consider her as my own daughter! You can’t hide Haru from the world Chaerin, it’s crazy.”

“But she’s not your daughter! You never…” she countered and then feeling the lump form in she wanted nothing more than to be far, far away from this conversation, “You know what… It doesn’t matter.” she reached for her coat

“What are you doing?” Jiyong watched her in disbelief.

“Leaving, “ Chaerin answered pulling on her coat, “And don’t worry, I’m not going to Haru’s school. I’m not that crazy for that.”

“That’s not what I meant,” his face softened slightly.

“I have to go.” Chaerin shook her head and moved towards the door.

“Chaerin…” he reached out to her

“We can’t speak right now!” she yelled back at him, “I can’t do this right now. I have to think. I… I thought you understood… I… I think I should leave.”

“Fine,” Jiyong nodded, confused and angry and… confused, “If that’s how you want to handle this then…”

“Yeah. Have a good day.” she opened the door and without another word she left him stunned in the living room.

 

He took a deep breath and let it out, looking around the apartment as if the answer to the question racing through his mind might be found there. Rolling his eyes, he ran a hand through his hair. This was not exactly how he had hoped this would go. Having long ago resolved to not go chasing after somebody who refused to talk to him, he stood his ground. For all of five minutes then, with a groan, he pulled on his coat and gave in.

When he emerged out onto the street, he glanced up and down it looking for a cab. And then he saw her sitting on a bench at a bus stop. Sighing he walked towards her.

“Chaerin?” he called out, stepping closer to the bench.

“What do you want?” she called back without turning to face him.

“I was… I was coming to see you.” His voice soothing as he moved to sit next to her.

“You were?” he nodded. “After all the awful things I told you?”

“Yeah.”

“I hated it. Every minute of it,” she nodded and then her eyes met his and he could see they were developing tears, “I hate being mean with you. I hate hurting you.”

“I hate it too.” He sighed and moved to wrap an arm around her. She relaxed into him a little, seemingly still hesitant, “You know, just because we fight… It doesn’t mean I love you less. It doesn’t mean I want to be with you any less.”

“I know,” she nodded, and he could tell she was relieved to hear him say that, “But this, is a little bigger than just a fight.”

“Yeah, “he nodded, “But you had to know that Soohyuk would come back in Haru’s life.”

“I guess,” she shrugged, “I just wasn’t expecting it to be today. And I wasn’t expecting it to bring up all of this…”

“Emotion?” Jiyong offered.

“Yes, that’s it. When I saw Soohyuk today I couldn’t help imagining Haru in his arms taking her away. And leaving me on that roadside.” She explained sick at the idea.

“You know, my boss knows Soohyuk… They’re financial partners. I could try to meet him and dissuade him.”

“It’s my problem Jiyong, not yours…” she looked away staring down the street at the cars as they passed.

Jiyong moved to take her face in his hands, “Let me deal with him okay? Let me protect my family.”

“Fine.” She nodded and then leaned up to kiss him

“Don’t worry about it okay?” Jiyong asked waving for a cab.

“Okay,” she promised and slipped from his arms towards the waiting car.

“Have a good day Chae,” he opened the door to the cab and leaned to kiss her once more

“You too. Thank you again.” She smiled up at him and he shut the door behind her. And as the cab drove away, she watched as he disappeared from her vision.

Jiyong stood and watched as Chaerin moved away from him. He felt a little better than he had earlier, even if the idea of meeting Chaerin’s ex was paralyzing him the most.