This Could Be The End

Daddy Is An Original Hipster

 

I was regretting agreeing following Teddy at the club that night as I hadn’t even gotten back to the apartment yet. And it was 6:23am. Already. I hadn’t drunk that much as I was still conscious of what I’ve done this night but things got hazy for me. Clubbing was kinda part of the job for me, a way to listen new fresh sounds and get the inspiration.

Ten more steps, Jiyong, you can do this, I encouraged myself as I finished climbing the staircase, trying to work up the motivation to get all the way back the apartment and not just pass out in the hallway. I wanted my bed so bad at that moment.

But as I managed to schlep my way to my floor, I was immediately greeted with the sound of Haru’s cries. Indeed, the littIe girl was sitting against my door her tears falling on her porcelain cheeks. I frowned as I looked at my watch and wondered why the kid wasn’t with her mother preparing for school.

“hey what’s wrong kiddo? Your mean mother scolded you again?” I tried to joke but it didn’t reassure the little girl who was still crying.

“M-mommy… S-she doesn’t want to answer!” I finally picked her up and cuddled her.

“Answer whaaat?” I yawned

“She’s in the bathroom a-and the door is locked… She doesn’t want to open it.” She sobbed

I was slowly understanding that Chaerin had been in her bathroom for longer than usual and the little girl was worrying as her mother wasn’t answering when she was calling her through the door. I couldn’t help but worry too.

“She’s just taking her time, you know. Your mother is a diva after all…” I was going to open the door when Haru added,

“No, I heard a big noise in the bathroom and then nothing.”

Okay, now it was becoming serious. Even if I really needed some sleep, I decided I couldn’t wait any longer and I walked to her apartment in a quick step. It wouldn’t be the first time I have a sleepless night. Haru was still crying in my arms and I tried to gently shush her and calm her down. I knew Chaerin would never leave her daughter alone, she was everything for her.

 

 

The apartment was oddly silent. I walked to the bathroom and cleaned my throat before knocking on the door.

“Chaerin, are you here?” I called out but got no response.

I tried to open the door but I found it locked. “Chaerin! Be a good girl and open that damn door now!” I screamed. I started to get worried and my instinct told me something was wrong. I turned my head to see that Haru was as worried as me as she was biting her lip nervously.

“Haru go find Seungri.” I told her seriously

“But I want mommy!” she whispered

“Come on,” I kneeled next to her, “everything will be okay Haru, just do what I told you ‘kay?” I caressed her hair

The little girl locked her eyes on mines and reluctantly nodded seeing in my eyes that she could trust me.

As I was sure Haru had left the apartment I sighed and counted to five in my head then kicked the door in. A cloud of steam escaped from the bathroom.

My heart broke at the sight I saw. The shower curtain was pulled down in a pile in the tub and Chaerin was lying on the floor unconscious, a towel loose around her.

I dropped to my knees beside her. Her eyes were closed.

 “Chaerin, can you hear me?” I said bringing up my hand on her cheek. With no response I held my ear above and nose checking to see if she was breathing. But after a few seconds I didn’t feel anything and I blanched. I sat back and put two shaking fingers under her jaw on her neck looking for a pulse. When I didn’t feel the slightest beat I panicked.

I didn’t know what to do as I stared Chaerin’s lifeless form.

She must have collapsed and hit her head as she was bleeding. She needed to go to a hospital as quick as possible. But she couldn’t wait an ambulance or it would be over for her. I had to act now. She might not stand a chance at coming back to life.

I didn’t think twice as I put one hand on Chaerin’s chest then put the other on top of it, lacing my fingers together. I didn’t mind the fact that the girl was almost under me as I was fully concentrated on administering CPR. I leaned up and pushed down 30 times, counting aloud, scared of losing a beat. I’d never done this in my life and knowing that I had her life in my hands was terrifying me the most.

“Come on Chaerin!” I pressed harder, “Stay with us!”

As I applied more pressure on her chest, I panted slightly and sweat began to form on my forehead. When I reached 30, I hunched over Chaerin’s face, lifted her neck, levered back her forehead and pinched her nose closed.

My heart was beating incredibly fast as I took a deep breath and pushed down my chin before sealing my lips with hers. Her lips were so soft that I wanted to kiss them but I couldn’t. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the time for that. One, two breaths were blown into then I sat back on my knees, beginning compressions. I checked for pulse at her neck again but as I didn’t find one I continued with the cycle, but I was unbelievably panting and trembling because of the fear of losing her.

I suddenly thought about Haru. What would she do if her mother was leaving her?

I shook my head, snapping out of my trance and focused on Chaerin. I exhaled a breath into her lungs again providing her with oxygen.

“Breath, please breath!” I muttered.

As I was losing faith, I suddenly heard a gasp of breath and I moved my head back as Chaerin finally came back to the land of living. I rushed off to find a blanket and tucked it around Chaerin.

Without waiting more, I stood up trying to find back my breath too and I picked her up bridal style and started walking out of the apartment not minding closing the door behind me.

 

 

 

 

 

It felt like I had been waiting for hours by the time the doctor came. My head on my hands, my legs shaking uncontrollably, my head spinning out of control, thinking about what would happened if she died. She could not die. I did my best to keep her alive but what if I did wrong and hurt her?

I knew the hospital was not the place for a child to be but I didn’t have the choice but took Haru with us. She was cuddled in my arms dozing. Seungri was there too as he drove us to the hospital. I carried Chaerin which was still unconscious in my arms in the building until some doctors took her away and ordered me to stay in the waiting room against my will.

I was lost. I didn’t know if I had to call her family and her friends. I didn’t even have their numbers. It was unfair that I was the only one by her side during this painful moment as I was just a stranger to her.

The doors finally opened and a tall middle aged man walked in. I instantly stood up Haru in my arms but he gestured me to sit down and sat across from me.

“My name is Dr. Kong and I have been looking after Chaerin. I believe you are her husband?”

I stayed speechless for a moment. Haru needed to stay with her mother and I couldn’t let them alone.

 “Hum… Yeah, i-I’m her husband.” I stammered

“Your wife fainted because the hot water lowered her blood pressure. There wasn't enough blood return to her heart to shunt enough blood to her brain for a few seconds. She then fell over and her head hit the tub.” The doctor explained

“Will she be alright?” I asked concerned

“She will feel a bit dizzy for a few days but everything is okay now. We’ll keep her for the night in case but she’ll be able to leave the hospital tomorrow.”

Seungri and I thanked the doctor and waited until we could see Chaerin. It was not too long before we were taken up to her room. Only me and Haru were allowed in, Seungri waited outside.

The room was in relative darkness. My gaze held the floor and slowly I looked up. Chaerin was sat in her hospital bed, covered by white blankets. Her eyes had a far away look staring at something through the window of her room. Her skin was pale and her blond her cascading on her weak shoulders.

I looked at the machinery that was attached to her. Heart monitors, blood pressure monitors. Beneath her nose she had a oxygen tube running the length of her cheek and tucking behind her ears.   

“Mommy!” Haru shrieked and I almost dropped her from reflex

I walked to Chaerin’s bed and I let her sat on it, nearly losing my balance when she took off fast and barreled straight into Chaerin’s arms.

“I’m alright Haru, I’m alright.” Chaerin mumbled into her hair. The expression on her face showed utter relief.

I walked away a bit not wanting to intrude on this moment but then Chaerin lifted her head to look at me.

“The doctors told me what you did for me. You saved me. After what I said to you the other day, I didn’t deserve that.” She said her eyes tearing involuntarily

“Aish, don’t worry I already forgot about it.” I patted the back of my neck as I leant on the extremity of the bed, “It was my fault, I’m the one who provoked you.”

“I really regret what I said really. I don’t know what would have happened if you hadn’t been here. I mean for Haru…” she looked down at her daughter which was cuddle against her visibly sleeping as she was breathing slowly.

“Where’s her father?” the question wasn’t as innocent as it looked as I’d thought about it since the moment I’d met Haru and her mother. And as I was getting more and more familiar with Haru I was really wondering if the two of them were really living alone.

Chaerin blinked twice before sighing deeply and looking outside,

“He left me when I was three months pregnant. I had never expected it so it was a real shock when it happened. I was 20. We were happy together like every young couples, well it was my feeling. But he hasn’t planned on being a father this fast. And maybe not with me.  Paradoxically, I forgot about him rapidly, because I didn’t have the choice, I had to take care of a baby after all. I forgot everything even the idea of falling in love again in order to protect Haru. But she starts asking questions about him. She’s curious and she sees her friends with their father. She knows she’s different from them. She’s looking for a fatherly figure in her life.”

She stopped a moment as if she was looking for the right words to say, “I know you never claimed acting like Haru’s father and I would understand that it bothers you but… Haru needs you.”

“What do you mean?” I frowned

“I won’t complain if Haru wants to see you.”

“Why?”

“Because after what happened today I think I can trust you now.”

 

 

 

 

So no, this is not the end XD

Wow, I wasn't expecting so much support from you guys, it really encourages me to continue writing. Thank you, I love you Skydragon shippers! You'll always be the best because even if our dear leaders are kinda distant these few days the Skydragon ship will keep sailing!

I think the next chapter will be ready at the end of the week, Friday or Saturday, I'm trying not to keep you waiting too much! Wait for it!

Chu~~