The expensive friendship

Loving Nobody

Chap 8 - The expensive friendship

He was actually a loner. He would never admit it but deep down he knew. He didn’t have any friends in his class; those idiots he would be with weren’t his friends. If he could choose somebody else to spend his time with, it would be anybody but them, but he couldn’t since he was the black sheep. He didn’t even sit with them, he preferred sitting alone during class just to get rid of them. Everybody would be sitting together except him and nobody, the girl none else in the class saw except the black sheep, the villain. She would sit at the front row and look awfully alone and embarrassed while the villain would sleep in the last row.

He found it quite fascinating; how she managed to become invisible. Sometimes even he had trouble finding her, when she was hiding in the library during lunch because she had “homework” to do though Jaejoong knew that she was just afraid of her schoolmates. Or in between the classes when she became awfully quiet and lost in their school books. By now Jaejoong had learned her ways though, now she couldn’t become invisible towards him anymore. He had learnt that even if she was quiet, she was still there; you just had to search for her. Even if you didn’t feel her presence, she was somewhere there, hiding behind the corner and if you looked around, you always found her.

 

“You know Nobody, I’ve been thinking.” he started while they were taking their daily walk to school. Nobody was walking some steps ahead of him, and he watched as the wind gently breezed her long black hair. She turned back at him and smiled, and Jaejoong quietly noted how round her chubby cheeks were.

“Oh no, now you’re thinking.” She sighed sarcastically and the classmate could see that little smile she was trying to hide in the corner of .

“HAHA, great, that is just great Sunny, I didn’t know you actually knew what sarcasm was, you’re making progress in your social life!” he bit back at her for underestimating his brain, he could think!

“Fine, sorry, I just couldn’t resist.” She snickered at her own stupid joke. “What is that huge, wonderful result of you thinking?”

“I’m just gonna ignore you’re attitude today, mister.” he said, switching into the serious adult-tone his parents always used. She laughed with delight.

“Fine, fine, you’re good.” She said while looking at him, acknowledging the fact that he was equally good at being an adult as her being a b*itch.

“I know, I can when I want.” he nodded with a small smile while looking at her reaction for his cockiness. She pushed him playfully while smiling at him.

“You are an idiot, you seriously are but you actually have better humor than Jessica.” She exclaimed. Why is that so surprising? Of course he had better humor than his genius little sister!

“I’ve got better humor than both of you together.” he mocked her playfully with a smirk.

“Fine, I’m not going to talk about that with you. What were you thinking?” she changed the subject.

“Ah, yeah, glad you asked because I forgot. Lee Sunny-ah a.k.a. nobody, I’m willing to sacrifice myself to sit next to you during class if you’re willing to do the same.” he announced, exaggerating the seriousness about the situation while watching her reaction as they stopped walking. She looked irritated at first, then surprised and then had a mix of feelings on her face.

“Yah! Kim Jaejoong-shi a.k.a. jerk, idiot, womanizer, etc… I thought we had passed this stage of our friendship when we call each other names, I don’t like it. As for the other stuff you’ve said; I’ll think about it.” She said before continuing walking, leaving him behind. What? Why didn’t she say yes? Jaejoong frowned as he watched her take some steps.

“Yah nobody, why do you not want to sit next to me? Everybody wants to sit next to the underground famous Kim Jaejoong!”

“Why? Well, duh Jaejoong-shi, your grades are like sh*t and you do stupid things, I don’t want to be seen sitting next to you, I’ve got the best grades in class.” She shrugged as if she would have explained the most basic knowledge.

 

“Fine, then… what if I’m willing to change and start studying?”

She slowly turned back to him with an expression that clearly showed her doubtfulness about his offer.

You studying? Fine, Jaejoong-shi, if you get better grades, like much better than what you have now… if you have an average of C, I will let you sit next to me.”

“C? Lee Soonkyu-shi, I hope you know that your friendship is way too expensive but fine, I’ll do it.” he said with narrowed eyes. She only nodded with a smile and continued walking, with him running after her.

 

She silently watched the tall boy as he buried himself in his math book. It was Sunday, 5 days have gone since he said he would get C as his average and now, they were sitting in his room, studying together. He was lying on his bed and she was sitting in his chair at his desk.

The young girl with long black hair and big glasses knew what was happening to her classmate. She remembered when she first fell in love, she was fourteen and the boy was fifteen, had the best grades in the whole school. It was a little bit like in “It started with a Kiss” he was the perfect but cold student while she was an average, hard-working student.

Falling in love with him made her study every day until 10 pm in the same after class study that he was in, even Saturdays, only because he was studying there. She wrote him a love letter which he rejected, saying that he didn’t have time for love. The sad part was that our parents weren’t best friends so she didn’t get to move in to his house.

In short, she knew what Jaejoong must have felt. It could be that he didn’t know about it then but she knew why he had changed. In a different situation it would have been stupid of her to think that a guy would possibly like her but right then and now, all the signs were there. Jaejoong was trying to change into a better person for her, he liked her. One month ago, when their friendship was young Jaejoong said he only took care of her because of his sister. Some days later she asked Jessica about it who didn’t understand anything that she was talking about, saying “asking my brother to take care of you would be pointless since he’s socially too prude to talk with smart people like me and you.” In other words, Jaejoong had lied. All the signs were there.

The young girl wanted to tell him to stop, tell him that they’re too different and even if she would fall in love with him, she could never allow herself to do that. She felt so guilty for thinking like this but she had to choose her family over him, she couldn’t allow herself to fall in love and neglect her studies. She had to be smart and get into a university with full stipendium; otherwise she would never go to college. Her parents didn’t have money to pay her school fees; she had to get a full stipendium.

She wanted to tell him that but she didn’t want to break his heart and his ambitions, didn’t want to break their precious friendship. Besides, maybe he didn’t even know about it yet, girls know about feelings way before boys do so maybe he didn’t even notice the change of his heart.

 

“Yah nobody, could you help me with this one?” he suddenly asked, pointing at one of the easiest problems in the book.

“Oh dear… you’ve got a long road ahead of you to the C’s.” she mockingly sighed, putting aside her thoughts and feelings. One day she would talk about it with him, when he realizes his feelings. Not today.

-

Thanks for reading this far! I was so touched this morning when I read the comments, and the subscribers, you guys are great :) Here comes this chapter, personally I really like Sunny here when she's trying to joke around. I look forward for tomorrow also, when I'll post the next chapter where you can read more about the Jung family :) i'm thinking about writing for an exo contest, what do you think? anything i should improve in? :)

viaxoxo: thanks for answering all my question, you're such a good reader! I'm happy you saw Jaejoong's feelings, though you're some chapters ahead of time :) stop talking with Sunny? hmm, interesting thought, though I won't spoil the fun so I won't say anything :P

-eirlys: welcome, dear! you've an interesting user name with - in the beginning. You like Jaesun too? Didn't know there were many jaesun shippers here :)

kyonhae912: haha, I've already given some spoilers in the intro but go on, try to figure the story out! XD I hope Jaejoong didn't become friendly too soon...