Chapter 1

The Perceptions of Beauty

I stared at the guest coming into my house. I did not talk to them nor did I know any of them. The men were wearing business suits while their wives wore pretty flowery dresses. Their children were dressed accordingly as well. 

My parents decided to throw a party a day before my brother's and I's Selection Day. My parents were very social people. They liked having social gatherings and parties. I on the other hand did not like to associate with people. I preferred to stay locked up in my room the entire party and wait until the party was over before I actually go downstairs to eat food. On some occasions, my parents actually let me stay in my room. 

However, since this party was for my bother and I, I had to associate with people. Lovely.

A knock came from my bedroom door. 

I walked away from my window and opened my door. Our maid, Hyejun, an old sweet woman, greeted me with a smile. "Ms. Chaehyun, your mother wants you downstairs to greet the guest."

I gave Hyejun a small smile, "Ok, I'll be down in a few minutes." 

Hyejun nodded and closed the door for me. I loved Ms. Hyejun. She was very sweet and took care of me if my parents weren't home. I would always talk to her if I was bored. 

I looked at myself in the mirror. I let out a sigh. I made an attempt to look decent. I put on a pastel pink off the shoulder dress and paired it with white heeled sandals. My straight long dark hair was brushed neatly with one side tucked behind my ear to accentuated my diamond earrings. My rectangular glasses were perched on nose, hopefully to cover any flaws around that area. I gave myself one last look before heading out my bedroom door. 

Along the way down, I met with my twin brother, Kim Jongin.

"Hey sis." He gave my head a slight noogie. 

I harmlessly glared at him. 

Me and Jongin looked nothing a like. We were fraternal twins. However, we shared a deep bond stronger than anyone else. 

Jongin was wearing a nicely fit black dress pants and a white button down with a pastel pink tie that complemented my dress. His hair was styled up in a messy yet classy style. He flashed me one of his dashing smiles, "Ready?" He held out his hand.

I nodded and entangled my hand with his. We headed down the stairs together and greeted the many Elysian faces. 

 

Two hours have passed, Jongin has left me alone with my parents to talk to some of his friends. I didn't mind though. My parents introduced me to a few families and smiled and bowed politely to them. 

"Chaehyun, why don't you talk to some of the other guest." My father suggested while placing a hand on the small of my back. 

I smiled in agreement and left my parents. I sighed in relief. I walked out to my backyard. I saw Jongin with his friends near the pool along with a few girls my age too. I didn't want to talk to them because they did not want to talk to me. I learned that the girls only wanted to talk to me was to get close to my brother. So I never bothered to make new friends. But I wasn't entirely friendless.

I felt an arm come around my shoulder. I frowned at the owner. 

"Hey stop frowning, you'll get wrinkles. Are you not happy to see me?" The owner of the arm said. 

I rolled my eyes, "Now you show up, I was dying of boredom being with my parents." 

"Hey I'm sorry, my parents take a while to get ready." My best friend, Suho. He was handsome if I must say. He also had the sweetest eyes. 

"Hey, Suho!" My brother called and waved from across the pool. 

Suho smiled and waved back. He turned back to me, "Are you excited? It's Selection Day tomorrow." 

I shrugged, "Yeah I guess, I don't really care about it though.It's not going to change anything." 

I did not know how wrong I was. 

 

Today was Selection Day. I had to wake up early and prepare myself. I wore a black long sleeved a-line dress along with black heels. I fashioned my hair the same way. I wasn't necessarily nervous but I did feel uneasy. 

My family piled into the car and we started heading to city hall. Jongin's hand held mine. He wasn't nervous. He looked confident. Whenever I looked to him, he would give me his radiant smiles that made me feel a little bit better. 

I did not shine as brightly as Jongin did. He was the star while I was just the supporting cast. Everyone knew it. I know my parents love us both but I couldn't help shake the feeling that they favored Jongin a little more than they did me. Whenever Jongin came home with a award in his hand they praised him. If I came home with a award, they would tell to try harder and get an even better award. It's as if I wasn't good enough. 

The other Elysian families that were at the party showered over Jongin. Not once did they go towards me. I'm pretty sure their pretentious asses didn't know I even existed. It didn't bother me though. I always lived with it. 

We arrived at City Hall. I saw the families of Plastics and Elysians pile into the building. Jongin and I were still holding hands the entire time even when we were seated. The seating was in alphabetical order according to last names.

As the names were being called for announcement, nothing was out of the usual. Children born in Plastics were announced Plastics. Children born in Elysian were announced Elysian. 

The announcer then called Jongin to the stage. I felt my heart rate kick up. Jongin was asked to sit in a gold chair. A device would be placed on the crown of his head. The device scans your appearance. Once done, it displays Elysian or Plastic at the top. 

Jongin was placed Elysian. 

My name was called. I felt my heart would jump out of chest in any moment. I placed myself in the chair. I knew where I'll be placed. I was prepared but I could shake the feeling away of what will happen next. I felt the device being placed on my head. 

I gulped every 10 seconds. I saw Jongin and I saw my parents watching me. Jongin was giving me encouraging smiles. My parents face were unreadable. 

I closed my eyes and waited for the results. 

"Plastic." 

I was correct. 

 


 

Hey, so I've been having this story in my mind for years. I just never knew how to go about it. But I did some thinking and inspiration poofed! I had six chapters written 2 years ago but they were trash. So if you were coming back and read actually read the chapters I'm sorry. This is a completely new version. Instead of Kai being the twin, it was Suho, originally. As I was thinking and planning the story, i figured the character of the twin brother fit Kai more. Elysian and Plastics used to be called Perfects and Imperfects in the rough draft. I liked the word Elysian a lot so I decided to use it. I hope you will enjoy this story.

Thank You for reading! :)