Chapter 12

The Perceptions of Beauty

After my last final of the semester, I quickly left my exam room and heaved a heavy sigh of relief as the fall semester has finally came to an end and I was free from school for a few months. Or so I thought. 

I hear the chatters of students through the halls as the spoke of the winter trip happening tomorrow. I leaned my back against a wall and closed my eyes trying to free myself from the suffering that will be happening for the next week. 

In my hand I felt the buzz of my phone. I looked down at the screen to see a few texts from Suho. 

How are you doing?

How was your exam? 

Where are you? Let's meet up! 

I scrolled through the unanswered messages he had been sending me, feeling conflicted on the situation I am currently in. I was about to text my driver I was ready, but suddenly remembered he was ill. I let out a sigh and clutched onto my backpack as I walked out the exits of school. 

Walking through the school was always a journey, as I can feel the burning gazes and snickers of the other students. I know that keeping my head down and avoiding any eyes would lead to the least amount of trouble and commotion. I let out a heavy breath as soon as I exited the front gate of the school. I plugged my headphones in and started my trek towards home. 

Before I even get to step out into the street, I meet my face with a broad shoulder.

"I found you!" I hear a chipper voice come from the owner of the chest. 

I closed my eyes as I try to mentally try to prepare myself for the upcoming interaction. I let out a deep breath, "Yes, Suho?" 

"Where are you going? We should hang out today!" Suho was smiling before me. As my eyes gazed downwards, I saw him carrying two drinks, one seemed to be coffee and another was a green colored smoothie like drink. 

He pushed the green drink towards me, "I got this for you. It's your favorite, matcha smoothie." 

Indeed it was my favorite drink but I did not accept it and simply looked at him, meeting his eyes once again. A pounding in my chest started. I brought my head down, "I'm busy today."  

I took a step towards my right, but at the same time Suho also stepped to his left.

"C'mon, If you're busy, then... I'll watch you be busy!" Suho said still pushing the drink towards me.

I looked at him, midly confused at his statement. 

Suho must have realized what he said and immediately shook his head," No not like that.. I mean, I 'll keep you company." He flashed a smile at me for his mistake. 

I suddenly felt my lips curl up, but I caught myself before he could see. I then looked up at him, "I would rather be alone." 

Suho's face had faltered a bit before once again smiling at me, "Chaehyun, you look tired. You were studying hard as always, correct? Let me take you home then!" 

"I can walk home." As i finished my statement, I turned opposite of home, preparing for the long walk home to greet my bed. A couple walks in, when I realize there were no footsteps after me nor his voice calling my name, I let out a relieved sigh. I untangled my headphones from my hand. 

Right before I plugged one of the earbuds in, I hear a voice, "Suho!" It was low husky voice.

I felt shivers up my spine, in rememberance of that night. I noticed I had stopped my trek home because I felt a wave of memories wash over me once again. I felt a lump form in my throat as I found it hard to breathe correctly. I found myself quickly losing balance and shifted to wall nearby. Leaning against it, as I tried to calm down and regain my posture. I felt onlookers and by passers give me weird looks at the sight of my mild panic attack. 

I closed my eyes and plugged in my headphones. I my music and let the flow of beats distract me. I concentrated on the music. I felt warm tears slowly fall from my cheeks. I quickly wiped them away and continued listening to the music. 

Then I slowly felt a hand wrap around my shoulder. The hand was moving in slow soothing circles. 

I still had my eyes closed and concentrated on my music. The motion of moving hand was helpful in calming me. 

Once I felt better, I opened my eyes and looked at the owner of the hand. It was Suho. I was honestly exhausted and was too tired to even fight Suho away. I met his eyes and stared at them, trying to read what his intentions were. 

But they were unreadable.

 

 

"Oh Suho!" Heejun had cooed as soon as she saw Suho come in through the door with me. "It's been so long since you came home with Chaehyun! I am glad you two are together again!" She was smiled adoringly at Suho and offered to take his things, including my things he was also holding.

"Hello, Heejun!" Suho declined Heejun's sweet offer, "Chaehyun wasn't feeling very well so I was making sure she was getting home okay." 

I was too exhausted to rebute and nodded at Heejun as a greeting. 

I made my way up the stairs. Suho was closely behind, leaving a hand on the small of back, making sure I won't fall from the stairs. However, it's something that I do not mind happening at this moment. 

I took off my school uniform blazer and threw it on my desk chair. I climbed on my bed and laid there. Not making any effort to move. 

"Hey, get under the blankets, so you don't get cold." Suho was the tugging the blankets under me, trying to get me to move. 

I still didn't move. I can feel a wave of tiredness fall over me as soon as I landed on the bed. Before I realized I had closed my eyes and fallen into a deep sleep. 

 

I have not known how long I have slept, all I know that the sun was no longer up and moonlight took over my room. I let out a long sigh and risen from my bed. My school uniform was distorted. I gathered my hair into a ponytail and went to pick up my book bag that was next to my bed. 

Upon waking from my slumber, I did not register the noise of chattering and music coming from downstairs. Jongin must have some of friends over tonight. I guess I was staying cooped up in my room for the rest if the night. 

I rubbed my stomach due to hunger. I had not eaten breakfast or anything all day for that matter. I was so exhausted that all I could think about was my final exam and how much I wanted to sleep. 

I checked my phone for the time. 

11:30 pm. 

I sat down on my bed and debated whether or not I should just go back to sleep or stay up and suffer from hunger. Before I could fully make a decision, a knock came to bedroom door. I paused and waited for someone to say something. I suddenly felt my heart beat more rapidly as I get a flashback to that night during the party. I stood a foot away from my door with my hand the handle, waiting for another reply. 

Jongin's friends were here, so that means Chanyeol was most likely here. 

"Chaehyun." A sweet and soft voice spoke behind the door. 

I closed my eyes and let out a long sigh preparing myself to open the door. I slowly opened the door and came face to face with Suho's smiling face. 

"Chaehyun, you're awake." Suho was smiling brightly and his eye shifted to my clothes. "You're still in your uniform." He shook his head in a jokingly disappointed manner. 

"What do you want?" I asked, my hand was still on the door knob.

"Are you hungry?" Suho stilled smiled at me. 

"No." I said and moved the door to close it back again.

Suho pressed his left hand on door frame, preventing me from pushing it forward. "Chaehyun, you haven't eaten all day, you must be starving." 

"I'm fine," I applied more force to the door. 

"Hey Suho!" I hear a voice call from downstairs. Jongin had so many friends, I could not distinguish which one it was. "Where you at? We're about to leave for the club." 

If they're going to leave soon, that means I can get some food from downstairs. Suho called back saying he will down in a few moments. 

"You're going on the camping trip, right?" Suho asked. 

"Unfortunately." 

"That's great! We can spend some time together, there's a really nice spot I would like to take you." Suho removed his hand from the door frame, allowing me full control of it. "I'll get going now, see you tomorrow!" He waved and walked away from my door. I let out a sigh of relief. 

I waited until I heard the voices disappear and the garage door fully close shut before heading downstairs. I opened the fridge for any left overs from the previous dinners Heejun had cooked. I pulled out a couple of containers with food and popped them into the microwave. Once I heard the ding, I impatiently grabbed the food, earning a small burn of my mind but it's okay. Anything for food. 

I was quite satisfied after finishing my meal. I also felt at peace to be at home alone. I didn't have any exams to worry about in that present moment. Just me in silence. I took the moment in for a bit before cleaning the dishes. I definitely needed this moment to prepare myself for tomorrow. 

72 hours with them. 

 


 

Yo, Idk who still goes on asianfanfics anymore. But for those who do stray once in a while like me, I hope you find this story and I hope you enjoy it :)

Lots of stuff happened. I graduated university! I now have a Bachelor's in Molecular Biology and now working a big girl job :') 

I still love this story and hope to work on it as much as a possibly can. 

Thank you for reading!