Chapter 4

The Perceptions of Beauty

It was Friday. I was so ready for the weekend. Even though I knew I wasn't going to be doing much. It felt relieving to leave hell for a little a while. The bell rang signaling the end of the school day. However, my relief had to be put of because I had to stay after school to help Mr. Wu with some assignments. He asked for volunteers but no one raised their hands, so, lucky me, was chosen to help out. 

I packed up my supplies into my backpack. I packed them extra slowly just so the halls would be cleared by the time I head over to Mr. Wu. I waited for everyone to exit the classroom. A few words and looks were directed towards me as students exited the room. I waited for the room to be cleared before wandering around the class for a little bit, picking up some trash left over by some students. Once I heard the sound of chattering students diminish, I headed over to Mr. Wu's classroom. 

Mr. Wu was intimidating so it was understandable for students to want to avoid him. 

His door was open. I saw him perched over his desk in concentration. I knocked on the door.

Mr. Wu looked up towards the door. He gave me a small smile before nodding his head, letting me enter the room. He rarely smiled in class so it was surprising to see that.

I placed my backpack on one of the front desk. I stood there awkwardly waiting for him to respond. 

"Sit down." Mr. Wu said he stood up from his chair. He was carrying a stack of papers in one hand. 

I sat down on the desk where I put my stuff. He placed the pile of papers on the desk, along with a red a pen. "Thanks for helping me out, Chaehyun. I've only been here for a week and I'm already drowned in work from this week and from Mrs. Kim" 

"No problem, sir." I picked up the red pen.

I went through the papers, following the answer key Mr. Wu provided. We worked in silence. Time passed and before I knew it, the sun was starting to set. I checked the time on my phone, 6:15. 

"Sorry Chaehyun, I didn't realize it was this late." Mr. Wu apologized as he shuffled around papers on his desk. 

"It's fine." I didn't have a specific time I had to be home, anyways. "I'm glad that I was able to help." 

Mr. Wu nodded and then he looked at me, "Chaehyun, do you remember me?" 

I furrowed my eyebrows. He looked familiar but I would never thought he would ask me such question. "You look familiar." 

"I'm a family friend, your parents introduced me to you and Jongin on your selection day party." Mr. Wu said.

I thought back to it. Our parents introduced us to quite a lot of people that day. However, I started to recall meeting Mr. Wu. His name was Yifan but referred to himself as Kris, his english name. I was shocked by how handsome he was when I first saw him. I remember my parents telling us that he just got his teaching certificate. I also believed that my parents made a joke of me marrying him in the future. I found it quite awkward since he is 8 years older than I am. 

I blushed in embarrassment recalling that moment, "Ah, I remember." After that I developed a slight crush on him. It may seem weird since I just met him, but I was a 14 year old girl. I can't believe I forgot about him. 

Mr. Wu smiled brightly. This was the first time I ever saw him smile this brightly. He looked even more stunning now that I remember, "How are your parents?" 

I started to feel a little uncomfortable now knowing who Mr. Wu was. "They're pretty busy, but overall they're doing well."

"What about Jongin? I wonder if he remembers me." Mr. Wu asked. He seemed to be a much nicer person than what he portrays himself in class to be..

"He's doing well I suppose." I said. That's the answer I always give when I'm asked about Jongin.

"And what about you? How are you?" Mr. Wu said this a little a lower than normal.

I don't know why, put I felt a pang in my heart. It's been a while since someone asked how I was doing.

Was I doing okay? 

Not really.

But I am living. Which was good enough. 

I guess.

"Chaehyun, I am aware of what's happening to you." 

So teachers do notice, yet they choose to do nothing about it.

I decided to keep silent and looked every where else instead of Mr. Wu's face. 

I suddenly felt the urge to cry. I eyes started to sting. My face was getting heated. I felt emotions piling up one by one.

"It's fine." was all I was able to utter. 

Don't cry. Why should I cry? I let out steady breaths to calm myself down. They were quiet so Mr. Wu wouldn't hear. 

I started to feel angry. If they knew why wouldn't they do anything. But then I realized that they were Elysians. They had power. They worried about themselves, not Plastics.

Mr. Wu lifted from his seat. He was in front of me leaning on his desk. "What do you want to be when you grow up and finish school?"

I was taken back by the sudden change in subject.

"I don't know." I honestly had no idea. I did not know what to be. My parents were owners of a business. That's what they always wanted to be. Jongin wanted to be a professional dancer. But me. What can I become? 

I still studied hard though.

"What do you like to do? What are you hobbies?" 

I placed a hand on my backpack. I keep a journal in there. "I have a journal, I usually like to write and draw whatever comes to mind." 

Mr. Wu nodded, "That's good, may I see some of your work?" 

I politely shook my head, "No, sorry." 

"That's fine, it is yours." Mr. Wu sighed. "Before working here, I worked in a school for Plastics. There were many bright and great students there. They studied hard even though they knew that they won't be able to get that dream job they want. They liked the feeling of being accomplished. It was nice to be surrounded by that. To be honest, I hate living in a society like this. There are so many Plastics that have the potential to become something great but because they don't fit the standard of beauty this society strives for, they can't. I'm not saying that there aren't great Elysians out there. There are. But this society is only striving on the works of Elysians and not Plastics."

I understood and agreed with Mr. Wu, "A person's outer appearance should not define a person's worth. There's so much more to a person than looks. There shouldn't even be Elysians or Plastics. We are all humans. We all have something to contribute to this world." This was the first time I ever spoke about the subject with someone.

Mr. Wu smiled in satisfaction, "Now Chaehyun, tell me why you're number 1 in class, what's your motivation?" 

I looked Mr. Wu straight in the eye, as if I suddenly found what I've been searching for, "To show that I'm not just a Plastic." 

 

After leaving school, I decided to go to the Plastic side of the city. Elysians and Plastics are seperated in this city. However, the center of the city is the only place where Elysians and Plastics are in the same place. Since it's the corporate area where many businesses are, along with the city hall. 

As I got further and further away from the Elysian side, I noticed the change in architecture, environment, and people. The buildings in the Plastics side were old and deteriorating. Most made from wood. There was graffiti on some buildings. There were people on the streets, sitting and surrounded by blankets. I never been to the Plastic side before. I thought it would be the same as the Elysian side. I learned it was the complete opposite. 

Elysians run the city, yet they only seem to improve their side and not the other. I felt sick to my stomach as I saw this. Suffering was apparent on this side. 

I saw a small antique shop and went inside. 

I was greeted by a small elderly woman, "Hello there." She smiled showing her very few teeth. She seemed happy to see me. 

I gave her a smile and bowed politely to her.

I walked around the shop. There were many antique items. I liked many of the items that were there. However, one item caught my eye. It was a journal. It was hard covered with a latch to open it. The design was exquisitely detailed. The design looked had many shapes and forms to it. I admired it. I went to the elderly lady and asked how much it was. 

"30,000 won but I will give it to you for 20,000 since it's almost closing time." 

I smiled brightly at the lady and thanked her. 

"Oh no problem! You have a very bright smile. Brightest I've ever seen. Never loose the smile." The elderly lady gave me a pat on the shoulder as I exited the shop. 

I checked my phone for the time. 8:00pm. It was getting late.

I was going to head home but I saw another small shop. It was a restaurant, called "Oh My Ramen!" 

I had not eaten much that day so I decided to visit it. Plus I thought the name was quite cute.

I walked in and was greeted with a delightful smell that made my stomach growl. 

"Hello!" I was greeted by a middle aged woman. She had the menu tucked into her arm and led me to a table. 

She placed the menu on the table. I flipped through the menu, many of the dishes seemed amazing but I couldn't decide.

"What are your signature dishes?" I asked. 

"Mmm, many customers like to order the Oh My RamHun." 

I nodded, "I'll take that." 

The lady gave me a smile before walking away. This was the most I've been smiled at in a long time. The place was small but comfy and homely. I liked it a lot. 

I could here a playful muffled conversation at the back. I turned around and saw the middle aged lady along with a middle aged man. The lady smiled as she watched the man cook. 

It warmed my heart to see it. My parents would never look at each other with that much love before. Now that I remember, I never once saw them show any public affection for each other. My parents seemed satisfied with each other but that seemed to be all there was between them. Satisfaction.

Seeing them made me want to have that feeling of love. However, I knew it was highly unlikely that I'll ever feel that with someone mutually. 

I passed time by playing with my phone. 

Next thing I know, the food was being placed in front of me. It looked and smelled absolutely delicious. I thanked the lady for the food and told her that I will eat well. 

I dug in. It was absolutely pleasant to eat and it filled my stomach very well. I will definitely be coming here more often. 

I looked at the time. 8:45. I should be getting home, but I didn't want to leave. The place made me want to stay. 

The woman came up to me with a smile, "I hope you had a good meal." 

I smiled, "I did, thank you very much. I will definitely be coming here more often." 

"I'm glad to hear that. My husband and I love regulars. You should be getting home, it's pretty late." 

I nodded, "I know, it's just this place makes me want to stay longer. It feels very cozy." 

The woman once again smile gratefully, "Thank you, what's your name?" 

"Chaehyun. Kim Chaehyun." 

"Well Chaehyun get home safe, it can be dangerous at night." She lead me out the door.

I bowed to her and thanked her once again before heading home. 

It felt nice to be a small confined place. I was always surrounded by large spaces. I had a large house, a large room, a large bed. I just felt comfortable to be a small place such as that one. 


quite an important chapter...

Thank You for reading!