Bad News

In Love With You Again

(Soo Hyun)

"Soo Hyun, your cousin is coming over! Meet him downstairs in five minutes," Mom said. I knew which cousin she was referring to and I shouted an okay. I wanted to call him to ask for his current location but realised my phone wasn't with me. It must have been the item that dropped just now. I hesitantly walked back to Eun Hee's apartment and knocked on her door. After knocking for awhile there was still no answer. I then keyed in her pin number and entered the house myself. 

"Eun Hee," I called out. The house seemed empty and I looked around and realised she was indeed not here. I took my phone back and that was when I realised how messy the apartment was unlike just now. Something felt off and I rushed down to find her. I took the lift down and when the lift door opened at the first floor, I saw Eun Hee fainting in my cousin Woo Bin's arms. I rushed over and saw how pale Eun Hee was. It was scary how dead she looked. I quickly crouched down beside her and shook her gently, asking her to wake up. Woo Bin called the ambulance as soon as I took Eun Hee from his arms and it arrived minutes later.

 

The doctor, Doctor Lee, told us that Eun Hee needed an operation due to the complication of her miscarriage. He said the miscarriage wasn't handled properly by the doctor who fixed her wounds. Doctor Lee said that he needed one of us to sign for her operation because her family members weren't around. I signed it and they immediately wheeled her into the operating theater. Woo Bin and I stayed outside, praying that the operation would go well even if it was just a minor one. 

"Hyung," Woo Bin finally greeted me. 

"Woo Bin," I said as I hugged him. "I'm afraid."

"She'll be fine," Woo Bin assured me. "Is she your girlfriend?"

"No, but she's the Eun Hee that I used to play with. You remember her?" His eyes widened and he nodded. "We were probably going to get together but something happened and we fought. I feel so guilty because I added on to her stress. It must have led to this."

Woo Bin told me that I shouldn't blame myself because she'll be fine. We waited in silence and after what seemed like forever, they came out of the operating theater. Both of us rushed to them. The doctor told us it was a success and we shouldn't worry. However, he told us that due to the negligence of the previous doctor, she might never be able to have children again. I couldn't imagine how Eun Hee would feel if she found out this news. He said that she must have been in excruciating pain for her to pass out so cold. It made me even guiltier and I felt like it was all my fault. He said that this happening was probably for the best though, because she needed to see the doctor if there was such a symptom that persisted after miscarriage because it was highly unusual that the pain would last so long. In normal cases, the pain would be gone in a few days, at most a week depending on the patient. 

We took turns to stay by Eun Hee's side. Mom called me and I told her about what happened roughly, omitting the miscarriage part and that she's the Eun Hee we knew. She said that she would come over to take care of her but I told her not to. I said that Woo Bin and I could take care of her so she shouldn't worry. 

Eun Hee woke up the next day. I gave her water to soothe her dry throat before helping her to sit up. 

"I'm sorry for being so harsh on you yesterday, it must have been my fault for causing you so much stress," I said, feeling tears welled up in my eyes. She shook her head. 

"It's not your fault Soo Hyun. Forgive me please. I wanted to tell you during dinner yesterday, I really wanted to. I only kept it from you because I felt unworthy of you. I am used and I am nothing but a burden. I also didn't want you to be disappointed in me."

"You're not a burden, Eun Hee. No matter what I will never leave your side again."

I then hugged her lightly, in case I hurt her abdomen area. 

Woo Bin and I shared money to pay for her medical fees. We came from a wealthy family so it didn't matter to us how much it was. We didn't have to ask money from our parents and that's all that mattered. 

 

(Woo Bin)

"Thank you so much, Woo Bin," She smiled. Soo Hyun hyung introduced me to her like he once did eight years ago. I shook my head and smiled at her. This was the girl I've been waiting to see all those time. Since I first saw her, I thought she was adorable and kind, and I fell in love with her. Although she was a year older than me, I felt like it wasn't much of a gap. I first saw her when my family came to visit Soo Hyun hyung's family and she was there playing with Soo Hyun. Although she wasn't pretty at all then, her smile melted me. Her smile was of an angel. We played together and when I had to leave, I swore to myself I'd see her again one day and make her mine. Seeing her makes me fall in love with her again. She had became gorgeous but that had nothing to do with my love for her. It's pretty impossible to get her now since Soo Hyun hyung liked her and she liked him too. I couldn't spoil their relationship but I would try my best to stay by her side no matter what, even as a friend. I just want to be by her side. 

 

(Eun Hee)

I was told the bad news by the doctor that I probably will never ever have children again. I didn't want to worry the guys so I tried to act nonchalant about it. I pretended it didn't matter although it was killing me inside. I wanted to die. I failed as a daughter, as a friend and as a mother. I would fail as a wife if I get married in the future. I would never ever get married. I didn't want to be a useless wife who can't bear a child for her husband.

I could tell Woo Bin and Soo Hyun tried to cheer me up and I was grateful for their effort but I was forcing myself to smile and laugh the entire time. I talked to Woo Bin while Soo Hyun went to my house to get me some stuffs. It was nice catching up with Woo Bin. Although he was younger by a year, I couldn't feel the at all. After a while he made me rest and told me he'd be going to get us drinks. I nodded my head and laid back down.

I cried myself to sleep that night thinking about how much of a failure I was. My mind was filled to the brim with my failures. I couldn't take it. The next morning, Woo Bin went to get food. Soo Hyun went to school. Taking the chance that no one was around, I broke the glass by my bedside. I picked up one of the pieces and slit my wrist after taking a deep breath. Dying was the only way to let me stop being a failure. I could be a mother to my unborn baby. Looking at the blood escaping my skin, I closed my eyes and waited to die. That was my only way out. My family wouldn't be upset at all. They would probably be happy that the burden of the family is gone. They no longer had to be embarrassed about my mistakes.

Before I knew it, sleepiness overtook me and I passed out. 

 

(Soo Hyun)

I stepped out of the lift only to realise that I left my homework in Eun Hee's ward. I sighed and went up to take it. I opened the door to the ward only to be horrified by the scene in front of me. 

I shouted for the nurse and the doctor as loudly as possible. I rushed over to Eun Hee's side and spammed the alert button. I held her as tears escaped my eyes like nobody's business. "No, Eun Hee, no! Why are you so foolish? I shouldn't have left you alone, I'm sorry, I'm really sorry." 

I cried. When the doctor came, they made me go out so they could treat her. The wait was so torturous. After what seemed like forever, they were done. Woo Bin came back at that time with food in his hands. 

"What happened?" He asked frantically. 

"She attempted suicide..." I said, the pain in my heart growing with every word I spoke. Woo Bin was so shocked that he dropped the bags of food on the floor. He quickly picked them up again. The doctor came over to talk to us. 

"We managed to stitch the wound up before too much blood was lost. I noticed that there were several other cut scars on her other wrist so she must have self-harmed. We highly suspect that she might have depression so after she wakes up, she will have to go to a psychiatrist for treatments. Also, when she wakes up, someone should be with her at all times in case this happens again."

We were both in shock but nodded anyway. Depression? Self-harm? Those words made my heart ache for her. She's only seventeen. Having to go through all these at this age was too much for her, it would be too much for anyone no matter how strong they are. I would protect her with all my life. I would marry her even if she can't have a baby. I would do anything for this girl. I would make up for the hurt her family gave her. I would do anything it takes to make her happy again. That's how much I love her.

 

(A/N: If you have any suggestions to make this story better, please tell me via comments! Thank you for supporting this story <3)