The truth

In Love With You Again

"Have you given rice cakes to your new neighbours yet?" Mom called to ask.

"Oh right, I forgot. I'll buy and give it to them tonight," I promised. "Also mom, stop calling to check up on me."

"I do what I want alright and you know we don't trust you much, don't you?" She sneered. I sighed, feeling super frustrated what with me being on my period now.

"I know and I'm sorry. I got to go, bye mom," I quickly finished and took the chance to hang up the phone. She's really pissing me off. She just can't stop rubbing my mistake in my face. I quickly went to take a cold shower before leaving house to go buy rice cakes. It was a long walk to get the rice cakes but I have to so I it up. I quickly bought them and went back. Pressing the doorbell, I waited and waited for someone to open the door. I prayed it wouldn't be Soo Hyun because after what happened in the lift, things were really awkward between us and we avoided each other no matter where we met. However, after seeing the person who opened the door, I regretted thinking that way and really hoped it was Soo Hyun instead.

It's his mother. The mother of the Soo Hyun I knew.

"Hello, how can I help you?" She asked. Oh, right, of course I'm not recognized.

"Hi, I'm the new neighbour. Sorry it took so long for me to come and greet you," I bowed slightly and then passed her the rice cakes. She smiled kindly at me.

"Oh, no problem. Thank you so much," she patted me on my arm. "What's your name, dear?"

I contemplated before telling her, "Eun Hee."

I searched her face to see if there's any sign of recognition but nope, none at all. I guess looks really did make a huge difference. We chatted for a little before she had to go cook dinner for her family. She invited me to join them for dinner because she found out that I lived alone but I declined. We bid each other goodbye and I went back home. Although my relationship with my family was very strained, I still miss the warmth that being with family brought. Since I didn't have much appetite I decided to skip dinner and went straight to bed.

-Turn- -Roll- -Roll- -Roll-

"Ugh!" I screamed out in frustration. I still can't believe it's him. I did suspect but I never thought such coincidence would happen, but knowing this just made me feel even worse. As much as I want to, I won't tell him that I'm the Eun Hee he knew because I don't want to hurt him. I can't trust anyone anymore and I can't let him get close enough to find out what happened to me. The last thing I wanted was to look at his disappointed face, especially if it was directed to me. I don't think I could handle it. I would rather die.

 

"Get out of this house right now if you don't want to obey us," Dad shouted. "You are already in the wrong and you stll want to do things your way?"

"I'm sorry Dad! I'm sorry," I cried while rubbing my hands together to beg him. Tears were streaming down my face as I knelt on the floor. I proceeded to cling onto my dad's leg but he pushed me away.

"Don't touch me," he sneered coldly. "I don't want to see you for the time being." With that, he stormed off, leaving me all pitiful kneeling on the floor. No one came to help me up. Not my sister and certainly not my mother. The whole world had abandoned me. Whoever said that the only people who would stay by your side when you're in trouble are family was lying.

 

I woke up all sweaty and feeling more fatigue than ever. It's the second time I dreamt of this dream since arriving in Korea which was better than in the US because I had this dream everyday there. It would've been a nightmare if it wasn't real, but this did happen. I went into the bathroom to shower and realised that there were tear tracks on my cheeks. Even after a few months I'm still as affected as I was. I took a quick cold shower and afterwards I looked into the mirror to see that I had lost weight. Again. I sighed, went to dry my hair and dress for school. I was about to have a quick breakfast when I felt a familiar sharp pain in my lower abdomen and thus went on a hunt for my medicine. I knew that I had to eat before taking the medicine but I just didn't have any appetite to eat.

After exiting my apartment, I bumped into Soo Hyun, who was of course also going to school. We ignored each other and took the same lift together. Talk about awkward. Even more when I already know it's him.

Poke. I turned to him and waited for him to say something. He placed a bag of something warm in my hand and walked out, leaving me confused. I opened it while I was walking and saw that it was ddeokbokki. It made me smile. It smelled really delicious and the sight of it made my mouth water. Before reaching school I had already finished the entire bag of it. Once I reached class, I quickly took my seat.

"Thank you," I whispered. He turned around and looked at me.

"It's from my mom," He said. Oh... Why would I think that he knows how to cook anyway? Ridiculous me.

"Still, thanks for passing it to me," I smiled politely. He nodded and returned a smile that made me melt. I quickly turned away so he wouldn't see my blushing cheeks. The rest of the day passed by uneventfully. I was packing up my bag to go home when my phone rang. The number was unknown but I assumed it was my mother so I answered it.

"Hello?"

"Is this Olivia?" Came a smooth and deep voice. I'd recognize that voice anywhere. My mouth fell open and my phone almost slip from my grip. "Hello?"

"D-Damon?"