Starlight 7

Daddy's Shining Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground.

Three pairs of eyes then shifted their gazes from each other to a figure who was standing at the entrance of the living room. The figure who was a young boy, still in his school uniform, was looking right back at them with a deep and sharp gaze and they could feel anger in his eyes. His face looked confused and full of questions but it was outrage that was the most obvious.

“Who is she ?” The figure asked again, this time demanding to know the answer and would not tollerate with another silence anymore as it was irritating him. “And why did I see grandma leaving our house compund in a hurry ? She never stopped by and left without seeing me first before. She saw me walking towards the front door but she didn’t stop to greet me.” He asked again while throwing a disgusting look towards ByulHee.

ByulHee caught him doing that, of course and as much as she felt hurt by it she just shrugged it off and kept repeating in her mind to just forgive the rude fellow. He didn’t know her and by the looks of it maybe he was just tired getting back from school.

MinSeok and MinYoung exchanged heavy glances before both of them inhaled deeply. Things were clearly not going through the way they wanted it to be. With a heavy sigh, MinYoung pulled ByulHee gently to her side while MinSeok went to the boy who was still rooted to the ground.

“ByulHee, meet HeeJun. Your younger brother.” MinSeok said as he finally succeeded in pulling the boy named HeeJun towards MinYoung and ByulHee. HeeJun was trying to protest by not wanting to go near ByulHee but since MinSeok was stronger, HeeJun had no choice but to let his father led him into the living room.

Hearing what MinYoung just said, HeeJun’s eyes widened in shock and he stepped even further away from ByulHee as possible. Thinking that she was some sort of a disease. ByulHee, too, was stunned to learn that she had a younger brother. MinSeok and MinYoung didn’t tell her about that when they were in the car and to know the truth now was like a blow to her.

She was a little happy at first but after seeing how HeeJun reacted to the new discovery, she knew that he didn’t like the idea of having her as a sister at all. She didn’t mind to have another sibling as she thought it would be fun to have a company to play with but ByulHee knew she was the only one felt that way.

“HeeJun, this is your sister. Her name is ByulHee and you will call her ‘noona’ from now on. Okay ? I am sure the two of you will get along well.” MinYoung encouraged and tried to put on the most natural smile as possible on her face. She might seem calm on the outside but deep down inside her heart she was worried with ByulHee and HeeJun’s acceptance on this.

HeeJun, who was now standing at a distance between them, let out a small scoff while crossing his arms. On his face can be clearly seen how he didn’t believe this at all. A small smirk was formed on his face despite his 7 year old age and said, “This poor girl ? My sister ? Come on, mom and dad ! You’re better than that ! You don’t expect me to believe this load of crap aren’t you ?!”

“Kim HeeJun.” MinSeok warned sternly as he glared at his son, telling him that he was not happy with HeeJun’s choice of words. Deep down he too knew that it was partially his fault for HeeJun to behave that way. After HeeJun was born all the family’s attention was given to him and only him.

He was the first son and since ByulHee was not with them when HeeJun came, all of their relatives especially MinSeok’s mother always thought of HeeJun as the first grandchild that she can brag about with the other directors. Telling them that HeeJun will definitely inherit all of the family’s fortune and riches when he grew up and not to mention that he was the only boy in the family.

HeeJun was pampered so much by the family for so many years until his ill behaviour was left aside, as they all believed that he was still young and he will learn about the right manners as he grew.

Back to the current situation, ByulHee could only stare at the floor as MinSeok trying to speak some sense into HeeJun. Telling him that what he just said wasn’t nice especially in front of their guest who had just arrived. MinSeok also added that whether he liked it or not, ByulHee was HeeJun’s sister and that HeeJun must respect her like he should.

HeeJun scowled and glared back at his parents, not feeling scared of them or respect even for one bit, “I never wanted a sister ! Why all of a sudden she had to appear now ?! Don’t you and mother love me anymore ? Am I not enough until you have to adopt her ? Why does she have to be here anyway ? You brought her home from God knows where and then told me to respect her. I don’t even know her, let alone wanting her here !”

MinYoung gasped at HeeJun’s words and looked at ByulHee apologetically. ByulHee seemed to appear calm but MinYoung knew that deep inside her heart she was very hurt. HeeJun’s words were like daggers being shot straight into her heart and twisted. If MinYoung herself was hurt by what HeeJun said, then what to make of ByulHee ?

“HeeJun, I warn you one more time. If you still fail to talk politely, you will lose your television time. You know that I’m never joking about that right ? Stop throwing tantrums and listen carefully to us first before giving such remarks if you value your television time.” MinSeok reminded him again and this time his face was dead serious. Even HeeJun had to gulp a little.

With a grunted sigh, HeeJun dropped his school bag and sat on a chair not far from his parents and ByulHee. He looked at them with a bored expression and said, “Well, what is it that you’re going to tell me ?”

With a forced smile as to try to lift up the mood, MinYoung decided to lead the next talking as she knew it took a lot of patience to try to explain things to HeeJun. And since MinSeok had scolded HeeJun just now, MinYoung thought it would be best if she did the next talking.

“HeeJun dear, your father and I never adopted ByulHee. She really is your sister, HeeJun. She’s related to you by blood. It’s just that she hadn’t been in a part of your life as you grew up. I know that this is very shocking to you but we just want you to know that she really is your sister and the first child of the family. I’m so sorry that we kept this from you but we knew you wouldn’t understand if we told you when you were younger. There was a reason why she hadn’t been here before that we think we would tell you later.” MinYoung tried to put her words easily to make HeeJun understand.

He was only seven years old. And probably too much information would confuse him later and MinYoung couldn’t risk having HeeJun asking his grandmother. What mattered most was to have HeeJun accept ByulHee first and the rest would be another matter.

HeeJun, however, was not satisfied with MinYoung’s explanation and in his face he demanded to know more of why ByulHee had to be there and why she didn’t exist in his life before for seven years. “If she had never been here before, why does she have to be here now ? Our lives are fine without her before and didn’t seem to be needing her presence.” He asked.

This time, MinSeok spoke up, “Because she’s been away from us for far too long already and that she is our child too. We want to take care and love her like the both of us love you. And as your mother said, there was a reason why she hadn’t been here before but it will not be something that we will tell you now. Maybe some time in the future, when you’ve managed to understand more. As for now, it will only be better for you to know that ByulHee is your sister and your mother and I will love her just the same. And we expect you to do the same too.”

ByulHee, who had been quiet for so long, began to feel uncomfortable and at the same time felt bad towards HeeJun. The poor boy, she thought. This must be a lot for him to take in. After years living in the family as the only child, it must’ve shocked him to know that he had a sibling and he must have felt some sort of rivalry in him. ByulHee knew as she could feel it everytime HeeJun looked at her. Maybe fear of having the attention and love taken away from him as all these while the spotlight had always been on HeeJun and no one else.

“So, I guess that’s settled then. HeeJun dear, you can go up to your room first as I’m sure you’re very tired from school. As for dinner tonight, your father has decided to take us out since it’s been a while we had dinner together. You’d get to pick where y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter