Starlight 27

Daddy's Shining Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Milky Way upon the heavens is twinkling just for you.
And Mr. Moon, he came by, to say goodnight to you. 

Oh, my sleeping child, the world's so wild.
But you've build your own paradise.
That's one reason why I'll cover you, sleeping child.

“ByulHee ... please be safe. I know you can make it through.” JongIn muttered to himself, while he was sitting outside the ICU, waiting for his parents and ByulHee’s to come. He was still sobbing, his chest rose and fell, and his hands were sticky with thick and red blood.

It was ByulHee’s blood.

His shirt was stained with it, too but JongIn couldn’t care less of how he looked. His face was wet with perspiration mixed with tears, and his eyes were sore red from all the crying since the past hour.  His hands were still shaking; his mind kept bringing him back to what happened earlier, and how ByulHee laid still in his arms before the ambulance came.

And there he was, sitting outside the room while trying to calm himself down, but he kept pondering over ByulHee. He knew that the doctors were doing their best to save her, but he couldn’t imagine what would ever happen to him if ByulHee cannot be saved.

The mere thought of it itself was terrifying, so JongIn tried to have positive thoughts and told himself that ByulHee will be fine.

He closed his eyes as he leaned his head against the wall, and after a few minutes, he heard footsteps running across the quiet corridor towards him, and he looked up to see whom it was. Despite his unclear vision, JongIn could identify his parents, both looking frantic, and ByulHee’s parents too.

“My dear child, are you all right?” His mother asked, hugging JongIn tight and close to her. JongIn was too overwhelmed with sadness and anxiety that he couldn’t even utter a word, let alone making a respond, but the adults knew it just by looking at him.

MinYoung’s face was red, and JongIn knew that she too had been crying. MinSeok ended up sitting on one of the chairs, face buried in his hands as he breathed deeply while being comforted by JongIn’s father. There was nothing they could do other than waiting for the doctors to come out, and there was nothing to be said as well.

It all happened so fast, and they couldn’t put the blame on anyone. No matter how many reassuring words were given, still couldn’t penetrate their sorrow. JongIn took in the sight of all of them, and he knew that the feelings were mutual between them. They were all worried for ByulHee’s safety, and prayed for the best for her.

JongIn’s mother gently helped JongIn up from the chair, and said to him as she led him towards the nearest washroom. “Let’s get you cleaned up, shall we? And there’s a shop downstairs that sells a few t-shirts. We can replace the one you’re wearing.”

JongIn only nodded his head, and numbly followed his mother. She was right; he needed to change his shirt that was stained with blood. Each time he looked at it, it was as if the blood was reminding him of the previous episode, and he would start shaking again.

However, the both of them didn’t get to go far as they heard a loud commotion from the other adults they left behind. A loud punch was overheard and they immediately turned to see what happened, and the sight they saw was a shocking one.

MinSeok was on the floor, looking limp and helpless while there was a man in front of him, seething with anger as he tried many times to charge towards MinSeok but JongIn’s dad held him back. MinYoung was by her husband’s side, sobbing harder now.

“What did just bloody happen, MinSeok?! How did ByulHee get into an accident?! I TRUSTED YOU TO TAKE GOOD CARE OF HER! HOW CAN SHE GET INTO A CAR ACCIDENT?!”

“Chen, calm down!” JongHyun tried, and mustered all of his energy to hold Chen back before he landed another fist on MinSeok’s already bruised face. The poor man only stared at the floor, as if giving in to Chen’s wrath and waiting for another blow.

His lips were bleeding and dropped on the floor, and he couldn’t even lift his head up to look at Chen.

“How do you expect me to be bloody calm?! My daughter’s life is at stake right now!” Chen yelled right at JongHyun’s face, who despite everything, stayed composed as he tried to sooth Chen down. He knew what Chen was feeling, but fighting or getting absolutely angry will not help save ByulHee’s life.

“I know you’re extremely upset, but please calm down, Chen. This is a hospital and I’m sure you don’t want to cause any trouble that might cause them to ask you to leave.” JongHyun said. “And I know you don’t want to upset ByulHee right now, yes? You think she’s doing all right in there, knowing that her father is throwing punches out here?”

That seemed to do the trick, as Chen finally managed to take a few deep breaths and settled down on a seat far away from the others. JongHyun let him be, as he needed time to cool down.

JongIn and his mom were still standing not far from where they were, watching the whole thing in shock. JongIn, in fact, was getting curious about the situation, especially the man who claimed to be ByulHee’s father.

He was sure that he’d never seen him before, and ByulHee never told him anything about that man.

On first impression, he didn’t look like he lived in the city, and if this man was ByulHee’s father as he said he was, and then what was ByulHee’s relationship with MinSeok?

A lot of questions were running inside his head, but before he could find any answers to them, he first had to go to the washroom and cleaned himself up. He wouldn’t want to face the angry man with ByulHee’s blood on his shirt, as things would just get uglier.

Chen was staring at his shoes, and his heart was beating rapidly in anxiety. Every minute that passed by felt like hours, and how he wished to be in that room himself, standing beside his daughter to give her encouragement.

Chen couldn’t imagine his life without ByulHee, and having lost his wife years ago, he didn’t want to lose ByulHee too. Both of them were the love of his life, his heart and soul, and without them, he would be nothing.

He was getting so scared, because the situation right now was getting all too familiar.

Seve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter