Starlight 11

Daddy's Shining Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yeay grandma is here!” HeeJun squealed as Director Kim entered the house, her driver towing from behind while carrying her bags. Once her eyes laid on her excited grandson, she immediately embraced him who ran towards her open arms. “Aigoo my darling HeeJun!” She exclaimed, before showering HeeJun with kisses.

“I’m so happy that you’re here. That means I get to spend time with you every single day.” HeeJun said as he extricated himself from the hug. Director Kim nodded with a loving smile and his head. “That makes the two of us, pumpkin. I’m looking forward to spending time with you, too. We shall do a lot of great things, eh?”

Meanwhile, MinSeok and MinYoung who were watching at the side, smiled to themselves watching the touching scene. They had always known that HeeJun was attached to his grandma since he was very small and vice versa. If there were one person that HeeJun would listen to the most, it would be his grandma. Sometimes, even MinSeok and MinYoung didn’t know how to handle him.

It could be because they were always busy with work, but at times when they weren’t busy, HeeJun was always out with Director Kim instead.

“Welcome, mother.” MinYoung greeted politely. “I hope you’ll be comfortable and happy staying in our house. HeeJun was extremely eager while waiting for you, and so was ByulHee. Hopefully now that you’ve moved into our house, you can get to know ByulHee more.”

MinYoung looked at her daughter who was standing very close to her, and the girl tried to put on a smile on her face. Though Director Kim hadn’t acknowledged her presence there yet, she still tried to be positive as much as she can.

MinSeok nodded in agreement. “MinYoung’s right. Who knows after this the three of you will be close to each other that even we can’t separate you.” That somehow didn’t convince ByulHee but she didn’t give it away from her expression. Her heart kept telling her that the day when her grandma would acknowledge her would never come, but she pushed those thoughts away.

Director Kim smiled at MinSeok’s words but no comment was forthcoming about that. Instead, she focused back on her grandson and said, “Well, I can see that my handsome grandson is all ready to go to school. Why don’t I drive you to school today? We can chitchat inside the car throughout the journey to your school. Your mom and dad need to get to the office quickly for a meeting.”

The idea indeed made HeeJun pleased, and as he cheered elatedly, MinSeok and MinYoung said, “But mother, you’ve only just arrived. You must be tired and need some rest from the ride. MinYoung and I can send the kids to school while you get yourself settled. Well, we’re sure we can get to the meeting on time.”

Director Kim waved MinSeok off and replied, “Nonsense, MinSeok. I may be old but I’m full of stamina, if you must know. I have plenty of energy left in me. How tiring can it be to send my grands-, I mean, my grandchildren to school. Besides, the ride here wasn’t even that long, love. Just get to the company, all right? You don’t want to be late.”

MinSeok and MinYoung looked at each other, as if they were having a silent discussion. Then their eyes landed on ByulHee, who was standing in the middle of them. That day was the girl’s first day of school and they were sure that she was a bit nervous, as schools in the city weren’t like the ones from where she came from. Especially the one she was attending. But Director Kim was right, they can’t be late to the meeting either. It was an important one and was held under a short notice and it was crucial for MinSeok and MinYoung to be there. Now that especially when MinSeok had taken over Director Kim’s position.

The said girl somehow noticed that her parents were looking at her, and it proved she was right as she looked up and found them staring directly at her. She threw them a positive smile and nodded her head. “I’m okay with grandma sending me. You two just get to the office quickly, while the traffic is still clear. You don’t want to be there much later than you expected.” She said.

“Are you sure you don’t mind us not sending you to school?” MinSeok asked, as he bent down to meet ByulHee’s eyes level.  “I know we promised to send you to school, help you get sorted and whatnot. Well, we might be a bit late to the meeting but-”

“Oh, she’s already 12, for God’s sake. She’s much older than I am; of course, she can handle all that on her own. She’s not a freaking toddler or anything.” HeeJun interjected, causing both his parents to look at him in disapproval. That not only he was interrupting their conversation, but he also showed a little lack of respect through his words.

“Kim HeeJun,” MinYoung said, “Have you remembered nothing about what we told you about talking to your sister? Yes, she’s 12 years old and she’s older than you are, but this is her first time going to a school like yours, right? Things are different here and you know that. Do you want your dad to cut down your allowance again this time?”

Hearing the threat, HeeJun pulled a face and started sulking. He wasn’t scared about not getting allowance from his parents, he could always get it from Director Kim but it clearly showed on his face that he hated it when his parents were on ByulHee’s side (not that the girl asked for it, though).    

Director Kim quickly pulled HeeJun closer and said, “Enough, MinYoung. He’s only a child. There’s no need to reprimand him this early in the morning. Besides, he’s right. The girl is old enough to handle things on her own, as simple as getting things done at school. You two go on to your meeting, and leave the kids to me. I’ll send them to school and pick them up later. Come on now, children. Let’s get going or you’ll be late for school.”

Without looking at his parents, HeeJun crossly went towards the front door and put on his shoes harshly. He didn’t even turn to look back at them as he went out the door; Director Kim followed him from behind. ByulHee quickly wore her own school shoes, and before she trailed Director Kim and HeeJun, she bowed politely at MinSeok and MinYoung.

MinYoung threw her a smile and said, “Have a great day, ByulHee. We’ll see you later, okay?”

ByulHee nodded her head and quickly walked towards Director Kim’s car, not wanting both Director Kim and HeeJun to wait for her.

MinSeok and MinYoung followed her figure, and once she entered the car, MinYoung asked, “Will she be okay? I can’t help but to feel a bit worried.”

MinSeok turned to his wife and hugged her shoulder, “I’m sure she will be, love.” He replied. “Besides, maybe it’s a good thing to let her be alone with mother and HeeJun once in a while. They could work out on their bond with her.”

MinYoung sighed and looked at her husband sadly, “But what about our bond with her, Xiumin?” She queried, and MinSeok was at a loss of words. He didn’t dare to meet his wife’s eyes, as he had no idea what to say to her. So he just kept quiet, and luckily, MinYoung didn’t ask anything further. He wouldn’t have known what to say.

 

“ByulHee, dear, I have something to remind you about. This concerns your school.” Director Kim said while driving both the children to school. ByulHee, who was sitting at the back seat, was enjoying the view when Director Kim mentioned her name. She turned her attention towards the old woman and asked, “What is it uh … grandma?” She couldn’t help but to feel curious when Director Kim said it had something to do with school. If she were going to give her some advice, well, she’d certainly could use some right now.

“You see, dear,” Director Kim began, “the students at the school you’re going to right now, well, they have no idea that HeeJun has a sister. So, it would be better if it stays that way. Do you understand?”

ByulHee frowned at the back seat, finding what the woman said was hard to comprehend, and yet they were speaking the same language. Why should she keep her status of being HeeJun’s sister a secret?

“Oh. Why can’t we let the students know? Wouldn’t it be a good thing if they do?” She innocently questioned, wondering what was wrong with letting the students know that she and HeeJun were related.

“ByulHee, darling, it isn’t as easy as you think.” Director Kim said. Her voice was all loving and calm when she was tal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter