Starlight 32

Daddy's Shining Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“The chair is as good as new.” JongDae said to himself, a proud smile plastered on his face as he stepped back and looked at his hard work with arms akimbo. He just finished repairing one of the chairs at the dining table, which oddly enough, had a leg that seemed unstable compared to the others.

Had he not checked the chairs at the dining table, he wouldn’t know that one of the chairs needed some repairing. There was also a possibility that whoever sat on the chair will fall, and he didn’t want that to happen, as the sight would be an ugly one.

Besides, it was what he did all around the house, basically. Making sure that everything was okay and in order, and should he encounter anything that needed him to mend, he would do it before an unpleasant incident took place.

“JongDae?” A voice called him from behind and JongDae automatically turned. He smiled wider when he saw who it was. “Oh, it’s you, MinYoung.”  After a couple of years, JongDae and his two friends had found truce with each other, and he was no longer angry with them. MinSeok and MinYoung even felt the need to foster their friendship as it was, and everything was in order again once they came into a mutual agreement.

“Anything I can help you with? How come you’re home so early today?” MinSeok asked, keeping away his tools that he used to fix the chair at the same time. MinYoung was grasping her hands as she stood there beside him, and she took in a breath before she started.

“Well, nothing important actually. I just want to tell you that you’ve done a great job in taking care of the house. You know, making sure everything is okay and whatnot. MinSeok and I are always too busy at the office to check every single corner of the house.” She said with a grateful smile on her face.

Chen nodded. “No worries. It was what the three of us agreed for two years ago, right? And there is no need for you two to feel uncomfortable about me working for you, because I asked for it.”

“Well, because of that,” MinYoung continued, “MinSeok and I have decided to let you go on a short break. You know, just a few days to unwind since you’ve been working so hard every day. It’s the least we could do anyway, as a gratitude for all of your hard work.”

JongDae laughed but shook his head at the idea. Somehow, the look on his face showed her that the idea was of no importance. “I appreciate it, really I do, but I don’t think it’s necessary. Besides, it isn’t as if I’m doing any labor work around the house. Most of the time I’m just doing a lot of checking here and there. Sometimes I feel like you’re paying me for doing little jobs actually.”

MinYoung smiled as she’d expected him to say that. It was a normal thing for JongDae to say anyway. But deep down, both MinSeok’s and her mind will only be at peace if JongDae agreed to take a short leave, just for him to go anywhere or do whatever he wanted. He deserved it, no matter what he said.

“Don’t you miss your house, by any chance? I’m sure you would’ve liked to go back and visit, after leaving it for two years.” She said, and noticed a delicate change of expression on his face at the mention of his old home.

JongDae smiled sadly and stared at the floor. He had to admit that he really did miss the house, and it never crossed his mind that he would ever leave it unattended, until two years ago. That old home of his stored many memories, happy and sad ones, and somehow being able to go back to visit wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

MinYoung only observed him as he pondered the suggestion, and from his face, she knew what his answer was going to be.

Looking up back to her, JongDae said with a smile, “Well, I guess I could go back and visit. I’d like to see how my neighbors are doing as well, since they’re also helping me to look after the house. But only for a couple of days.”

MinYoung laughed and nodded her head while patting JongDae’s shoulder. “You just take your time, okay JongDae? There is no need to hurry back so make sure you spend a good day off there.”

Feeling that she was finally done with what she came to say, MinYoung turned to leave, but before she could even make a few steps away, she turned to face JongDae again.

Noticing that she was still there, JongDae assumed that there was something else she needed. Hence, with a slight worry coated his words, JongDae asked, “Is there anything else you’d like to tell me?”

This time, MinYoung’s mien seemed to be a bit troubled, and JongDae hoped that it wasn’t anything serious or major. That would be the last thing he needed after being told to have a short break from work.

MinYoung was fiddling with her fingers again, a habit that JongDae had noted she would do each time she felt bothered. “It’s ... nothing actually.” She said in the end, and both of them knew that there had to be something.

JongDae didn’t know her all those years for nothing, and SuBin once told him that each time MinYoung said nothing was the matter, that was when you knew that something was definitely going on in her mind.

With a reassuring smile, JongDae said, “Go on, MinYoung. We both know you have something to say or you won’t be standing here looking uneasy.” He prompted her to continue, but not forcing her at the same time. “The last time you’re acting this way was when MinSeok confessed to you.”

MinYoung made a face at the reminder, though her cheeks started to heat up after that. With a sigh, she carefully began, “Well, like I said, it’s ... nothing big actually. It’s just that I can’t help to notice that ByulHee seems to be looking for you a lot lately. Each time I get home from work I’ll notice that she’s with you at the back garden.” She tried to sound very casual about it, but JongDae knew that the issue must’ve meant something to her, or she wouldn’t talk about it. “It’s just that I’m glad she’s found someone in the house to talk to while MinSeok and I are not home yet. She would be less lonely that way, considering that her brother is away now.”

JongDae nodded his head in understanding, now beginning to comprehend what was bothering MinYoung’s mind. “MinYoung,” he started, “I can assure both you and MinSeok that I am still keeping my promise to the two of you. It’s what we both decided with back then, right? Somehow, it just so happens that ByulHee needs my suggestions on books that she wants to read. That is all.”

MinYoung nodded at the explanation, but JongDae still saw a slight sadness to wash over her face. He frowned, and waited for MinYoung to continue. She exhaled again, “I guess we can never get close to her, can we? Even when she doesn’t remember you anymore-”

“MinYoung, stop.” JongDae said, preferring if she did not continue what she was going to say. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to hear the rest of it either. “Look, from what I see, you two are progressing very well with her. You’re getting closer to her more than you two ever did with her before. And as you said, she doesn’t remember

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter