Starlight 20

Daddy's Shining Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"When I look at you,
I see forgiveness, I see the truth.
You love me for who I am,
Like the stars hold the moon right there where they belong.
And I know I'm not alone."

“She’s there, JongHyun’s wife just informed me. They just had lunch, and JongIn’s friends were there too, it seems.” MinYoung told her husband, as the pair were still sitting in the living room, and hadn’t moved a muscle since ByulHee ran out of the house.

Both of them were still shaken with what recently happened, and it appeared that they had both regained their composure after the fight they just had with ByulHee. MinSeok couldn’t believe just how fast his heartbeat was earlier, and had to take about 15 minutes for him to cool down.

And it never crossed their minds that ByulHee would run off like that, let alone her sudden outburst as well. They were too angry to follow her trail, and it took them a moment to realize that she didn’t know her ways in the city well and that she could get lost.

Luck was on their side that day, as they received a call from JongHyun’s wife moments later, telling them that their child was having lunch with JongIn and his friends. As much as they were curious as to how ByulHee was with them, they felt grateful that at least she was with people they trusted.

“Should we go get her now?” MinYoung asked, after her statements earlier received no reply from MinSeok. The man was staring blankly into space, and despite not saying a word, he heard everything his wife just said. Only that he didn’t know what to answer.

In the end, he just sighed and rubbed his face with his hands. MinYoung’s heart really went out to her husband, as she could see just how tiring this whole thing was to MinSeok. He looked worn out and exhausted. Not only he had to deal with many things at the company, and now there was this matter regarding their daughter.

“She just had lunch with them, right? Let her stay over for a little longer. Maybe she still wants to play with JongIn and his friends. She’d never been to a friend’s house before, hadn’t she?” MinSeok said eventually, and MinYoung couldn’t disagree with that. Though she might have a feeling that MinSeok was trying to avoid ByulHee, judging from the way he said it.

Director Kim, who’d been sitting in the living room as well throughout the time, let out a loud sigh and shook her head dramatically as she said, “I told you many times before that the girl doesn’t fit in here. But the two of you insist on letting her stay. Just take a look at yourselves in the mirror. You both look like you’ve aged ten years in trying to deal with her alone. Even HeeJun doesn’t make you this tired before.”

MinYoung quickly shook her head at Director Kim’s statements. “No mother, ByulHee has nothing to do with us being like this. Yes, there’s been a tiny hiccup with her lately but I can assure you that we’re just stressed with the matters at the company. Besides, MinSeok is always like this during this time of the year, right?”

She turned to her husband, expecting him to have her back and agree with what she said. Fortunately, for her, MinSeok got the message and nodded his head eagerly. “MinYoung’s right, mother. I guarantee you that this is just due to the loads of work at the office. We’re handling ByulHee pretty well right now, and we think she still needs a little more adjustment in living here.”

“You think?” Director Kim repeated and scoffed while shaking her head again. “Adjustment? Just how long do you two think she’s going to take in order to adapt to her new life here? It’s been like, what, months already, hasn’t it? It hasn’t been a year yet and now she’s caused this kind of trouble. You cannot keep on giving me the excuse of her not settling in well yet. For all we know, she might get involved into more trouble and the word will spread throughout the nation. I’m sure that you two are aware of the consequences if it is so.”

MinYoung and MinSeok looked at each other, not knowing what to say but they both were thinking the same thing. Yes, things had been a little bit bumpy but there was no way they can escape from this, can they?

“I think you two should do something about this. It is obvious enough, in my point of view, that the girl is some sort of protesting. According to you, she isn’t like this throughout the years she’d lived with your friend. So why is she behaving like this now? I’m sure that you have the answer, yes?”

As much as he didn’t want to believe it, he had to admit that it sounded somewhat true. Could it be that ByulHee misbehaved because she was protesting?

Sighing, MinSeok asked with a deflated voice, “What would you propose us to do, mother?”

Hearing his worn-out, capitulated voice, Director Kim smiled inwardly. Moments like this were the ones she’d been waiting for, when her son would finally ask her for help on what to do with their child. “I think you should send her back to her daddy. That’s where she truly belongs, and I’m certain that you know that.”

MinYoung’s shoulders fell hearing that while MinSeok shook his head furiously at the suggestion. “No, mother. We cannot do that. No matter what happens we cannot send her back. I know, things have been rough around here of late with her, but returning her to Chen is not an option! It’s like we’re giving up on her and by doing that is going to make her feel that way too.”

“Returning her?” Director Kim asked with a raised eyebrow. It took every fiber in her old body not to smile as widely as she had wanted. “Do you even hear yourself, son? Returning? The way you said it is as if she’s not yours to begin with but Chen’s instead. Tell me honestly, MinSeok, is she really your daughter?”

“Mother!” MinYoung gasped in shock, and no words can describe just how her heart broke hearing that from her mother in law. Tears fell from her eyes as she buried her face in her hands, and though her head screamed for her to leave the living room, she stayed because of MinSeok.

“How can you say that, mother? Of course that ByulHee is our child!” He exclaimed and started breathing heavily. In a way, his mother was not helping them at all. But what he failed to notice was how much his mother enjoyed this discussion very much.

Lifting her shoulders and putting on an innocent expression on her face, she said, “Well, I’m just confirming, that is all. You can’t really blame me for saying that. It was what you said that made me think that way. In any case, back to the main point. Since you two refuse to let go of her, I’d suggest you send her for a short respite at her father’s place. Just for the weekend, at least. Who knows, she might gather her act together once she comes back. I think she’s a little homesick, that’s why she’s behaving this way. What do you expect, anyway? She lived there her whole life, 12 years to be precise, and now she has to adapt to a completely new surrounding. What do you say?”

At first, the older woman thought that the couple wouldn’t agree with her again, but it seemed to her that they were actually discussing about it, only silently. They must agree, she thought. And they’re lying if they say they don’t need a break from her.

After about ten minutes, the pair finally finished discussing and faced Director Kim to give her their answer.

“So, ByulHee, it’s all set, all right? The two of us will be there at the school gate tomorrow when you arrive, and we’ll stay with you until JongIn finishes chaining his bicycle. Does that sound like a plan? Even if it doesn’t, just say it does.” ChanYeol reminded, while the five of them boys were preparing to take their leave.

After lunch, they had a good two hours of playing Monopoly and ByulHee loved it very much. She’d never played with friends before and it was so much fun playing with JongIn’s friends. Even JongIn’s mom, who was watching at the side, was thrilled seeing them playing together.

And she appreciated them for not leaving her out just because she was a girl, or giving in occasionally in the game either. They certainly didn’t make it easy for her to win the Monopoly game, but despite their determination to win, they helped her out from time to time as well.

“You know, you don’t actually have to do that.” ByulHee said, watching them putting on their shoes while pushing one another. “I mean, they cannot be doing that again. Surely they’ll start to freak out by now.”

“But still we should take no chances, shouldn’t we?” SeHun said, separating BaekHyun and ChanYeol who were fighting with each other’s shoes. “I mean, we cannot risk having you kidnapped by the second time. The outcomes are too dire for JongIn and I don’t think KyungSoo can handle any of his panic mode anymore.”

“Yah!! Just go home already!!” JongIn whined, and the five of them hurriedly scampered away, afraid to be knocked on the head by JongIn. “See you tomorrow, ByulHee!” They all hollered, and as ByulHee waved, their figures gradually faded away from her sight.

“So, are you planning to sleep-over? My mom would’ve loved having you here for the night. She keeps saying how hard it is being the only female in the house and there’s no one she can talk to regarding girls’ stuff.” JongIn rolled his eyes and shook his head, and ByulHee couldn’t hold her laughter seeing his mother glaring at him from behind, after appearing from the kitchen.

“Kim JongIn!”

The boy jumped in surprise, and turned with a sheepish smile at his mother before taking a few steps away from her. He pretended that he didn’t say anything and busied himself with rearranging the shoes at the front door.

Mrs. Kim made a fu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter