Starlight 34

Daddy's Shining Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She's at the startin' line of the rest of her life, as ready as she's ever been.
Got the hunger and the stars in her eyes, the prize is hers to win.
She's waitin' on my blessings before she hits that open road.
Baby get ready, get set,
Please don't go.

“So, ByulHee, do you want to get anything else before we enter the cinema?” MinYoung asked the little girl beside her, who later shook her head as an answer. “No thank you, omma.” She replied even so, giving her mother her widest beam. “I think we’ve had enough popcorn and corn dogs to share. Besides, the last thing I ever want to happen is to fall asleep in the middle of the movie for having a full stomach.”

“Let’s hope none of us falls asleep anyways, okay?” MinSeok chimed in, ruffling his daughter’s hair with his free hand. “We all know how much you’ve always wanted to watch this movie.”

ByulHee grinned wider at that, as she couldn’t deny the fact in any way. It was true, she’d been talking about seeing the movie for days and her parents very much wanted to fulfill her wishes. In the beginning she felt like going with SeHun and his friends, but she figured none of them would want to watch the movie as to her opinion, they would say it was too childish for them.

Lo and behold, in the end her parents offered to take her to the cinema, to watch the movie she’d wanted for so long, Inside Out. ByulHee had never imagined that they would agree to watch such movie, for all this while they’d been watching action movies together.

But still she felt grateful for having such parents, who were always dance attendance on her.

They were waiting for the right time to enter, and it was in their nature to be there ahead of the showing time. That way, they would be just in time to enter the hall, look for their seats and just sit back and relax while waiting for the movie to start.

They didn’t want to be with the huge crowd who’d all enter at the same time, as to them it was uncomfortable. Not many were queuing together with them, and while waiting they idled away time with talking.

“Oh, I forgot to tell you something, ByulHee.” MinSeok said, taking a bag of popcorns from his wife’s hands, as she’d been holding them the whole time. “I’m sorry, we should’ve informed you of this long ago but it totally slipped our minds. Your mother and I are going on a short business trip to China this week for four days.”

Hearing that, ByulHee automatically whined, and looked at her parents with a pout. “Aww, four days? That’s too long! Can I come with?” she pleaded, trying to shoot her parents with the saddest look she could give.

MinYoung laughed and pinched her cheeks. “I’m sorry, my dear cinnamons roll. We would’ve loved to take you but you have school and we don’t want you to miss it. Besides, your father and I have gone to countless business trips before and you were always fine.”

“Well, I was a child then. Now I’m 14 years old.”

“Honeybun, the last time we went on this trip was a month and a half ago.” MinYoung stated with arms akimbo, and ByulHee spontaneously lost the argument. There was no way she could beg her parents to go with; not even with feigning she was sick or anything.

“I’m going to be so lonely.” ByulHee said sadly while looking at the ground wanting to try again, but as much as her parents would always fulfill her wishes, they wouldn’t budge with this one. “JongDae can keep you company. From what we see you seem to be getting along well with him. And maybe you can have some friends over, if you’d like. Have a sleepover, or something. We believe that JongDae could manage it on our behalf.”

ByulHee folded her arms across her chest then and said, “Well, that’s a good idea, but the thing is, my friends by far are boys and boys don’t like sleepovers, omma. It would be weird too if I randomly ask my female classmates to have a sleepover at our house when the most we’ve talked is when they are going to return my notebook.”

Her parents laughed aloud then, and though they sympathized her for having to be alone for four days, they believed that JongDae can keep her company and helped occupy her time. There was no one else they trusted more than their dear friend, and they trusted him enough to keep an eye on their daughter.

“You’re going to be fine, ByulHee. With school and all, you wouldn’t even realize that four days have gone by. We’ll be home before you know it.” MinSeok consoled, and slowly ByulHee had to give in, knowing that she didn’t have a chance in begging them to take her along.

She’d never followed her parents on their business trips, mainly because it was on business purposes and that they’d be too busy to even take her around, but she’d always waited for the moment when they would take her along, and she’d consider it as a family holiday hyphen her parent’s business trip.

But for now, she’ll hold onto her parents’ words, and perhaps they were right. She wouldn’t even realize that they weren’t home.

She nodded with a pout, and later entered the cinema just on time.

“So, how do you like the movie, ByulHee? Did you enjoy it?” MinYoung asked, as the three of them were helping themselves with hamburgers at the Burger King’s after the movie. It turned out that ByulHee and MinSeok were still hungry and they decided to go for fast foods instead of the normal restaurants as MinSeok had a craving to have a hamburger.

ByulHee was halfway munching her burger when she answered her mother’s question. “It was awesome, omma! Way better than what I expected. I really like it but appa kept distracting me by taking my popcorns. When I looked over, his was already finished before we even got to the center of the movie. His corn dog was nowhere to be found too!”

MinYoung laughed aloud while shaking her head at her husband, who pretended not to hear. “Well, I can understand now why ByulHee is still hungry after the movie, but I still can’t believe you, dear. After eating all that it seemed as if you hadn’t eaten anything at all!”

“I always have rooms for more food, dearest, aside from my love for you and my children.” MinSeok casually replied, causing MinYoung to roll

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter