Starlight 33

Daddy's Shining Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was break time, and they were tucking in their lunch boxes silently. It turned out that day that the three of them were famished and no one spoke a word, unlike how they usually did whenever they ate together. At least one of them would start a topic about nothing in particular and their conversation will go on from there.

However, it was oddly quiet at the table, until SeHun broke the silence. “Say, JongIn, you’re still coming today, right?”

Hearing the question, JongIn nodded his head instead of answering, as he’d rather not talk with his mouth full. But once he’d swallowed down his food, he replied nonetheless, “Yeah, sure.”

ByulHee who was sitting beside him looked perplexed and asked curiously, “Are you two heading somewhere after school?” As far as she could remember, it wasn’t their ice cream day so to hear that SeHun and JongIn were going to go somewhere together was kind of a new thing for her. She’d noticed that SeHun got along tremendously well with JongIn, much to her amazement and she was glad that it was so.

SeHun laughed awkwardly at her question and seeing her inquisitive eyes, he answered, “Oh, I forgot to tell you. JongIn and I are going to meet some of my friends after school. It just so happens that they know of JongIn too, so we’re going to get together after this.”

ByulHee nodded her head upon the explanation and asked, “Do you mean the bunch of boys you mentioned before? If I’m not mistaken there are four of them, right?” SeHun smiled wider and nodded, as to say that she was correct.

ByulHee smiled too, and continued eating her lunch, at the same time saying, “I’m glad to hear that your friends and JongIn know each other, too. It’s about time for you to hang out with your friends anyway, SeHun. I rarely hear you ever meeting up with them, and it’s not as if you just have to hang out with me every day, you know. Mix around with kids your gender, too.”

Instantly, JongIn looked at SeHun with the kind of eyes that the boy didn’t comprehend, but he sensed something from the way JongIn was looking at him. Knowing JongIn, it must be something for him to tease SeHun about later. Mayhap ByulHee was giving away needless information at the table.

Turning to the girl next to him, JongIn asked casually, “Do you want to come with ... ByulHee?” He almost slipped out the word again, and thank God, he caught himself just in time. He had a lot of answering to do if ever he accidentally mentioned the word.

ByulHee didn’t take long to answer though, and almost immediately, she shook her head after thinking about the invitation for about five seconds. “No, thank you. I think it would be better if I sit this one out. Besides, I don’t want to intrude your gathering with the other lads. I being the only girl there might be uncomfortable for them, and for myself.”

But the other two were thinking otherwise though, and they really wanted her to come. Quietly, SeHun softly kicked JongIn’s leg under the table, and JongIn understood right away that it meant SeHun wanted him to try again.

“I’m sure things wouldn’t be uncomfortable, ByulHee. They’re a good bunch of lads, I promise you. I am certain that you can get along well with them. It’s going to be fun and the boys themselves have brains of a nine year old though now they’re 14. I have a feeling that they’re going to like having you around.” JongIn encouraged, and briefly looked at SeHun to know whether he was doing it right.

ByulHee seemed to ponder about it, but the look of reluctance was still marked on her face. She then looked at SeHun, as if asking for his opinion and the lad only nodded his head with a smile. “It’s going to be all right. Besides, you’re alone at home, aren’t you? You can hang out with us until it’s about time that your parents are going to be home. I promise the boys are not like the problematic ones we have out there.”

ByulHee looked at him, then at JongIn, then at her lunch box, and then to the empty table next to them, giving it more thought. SeHun signaled to JongIn that she was still thinking, and since this was something new about her, JongIn was glad that SeHun told him before he started asking.

In the end, with the slightest bit of hesitation still, she looked back to the both of them, and said, “Well, if you say so, then I guess I’ll hold onto your words.” The both of them smiled when she finally agreed to come, and they were sure that the other boys would be ecstatic to see her again.

“Good girl.”

They quickly continued finishing their lunch, and silently JongIn knew that if it weren’t for SeHun stepping in to reassure her to come, she wouldn’t have accepted the invitation. JongIn only made her think whether she should come or not, and SeHun helped her made the final choice. Had SeHun just told her that she didn’t have to come if she didn’t want to, she would straight away just say no.

That showed she actually trusted SeHun, and JongIn was glad that it was so. Somehow, he was actually glad with how things were going.

Time went by in a blur and ByulHee couldn’t believe that she was there right now. It was too late for her to change her mind now, and since she was already standing in front of all of them, there was no way she could turn back and leave right. It would be rude, and her other two friends might be disappointed in her.

“So you guys, meet ByulHee, my and JongIn’s classmate. ByulHee and JongIn’s parents happen to know each other, just as you people happen to know JongIn. It’s such a small word.” With a slight look of warning in his eyes, SeHun added, “Be nice to her, okay? Don’t scare her.”

SeHun sensed that she was standing very stiffly next to him, and he hoped that she would be at ease soon. Deep down, he was certain that his other friends wouldn’t literally scare her; just that he hoped they were still aware of the fact that ByulHee didn’t remember them, so they should know of the boundaries when approaching her.

She was comfortable being around them

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter