The Talk (More Than Bestfriend)

More than Bestfriend

Jinki came to Jonghyun’s house around 7 p.m., earlier than the appointment time. He wanted to spend more time with Jonghyun. After what happened at school this afternoon, he realized he spent less time with his bestfriend and he didn’t even know what was bothering his bestfriend. He even felt that Jonghyun didn’t want to talk with him and acted awkward around him, not like when he was with that kid. Remembering that kid, Jinki grimaced. ‘Where did I went wrong? What I did that make Jonghyun acted like this?’ thought Jinki bitterly.

 Jonghyun smiled fondly at that kid like what he used to do with Jinki and now Jinki rarely saw him smiled. Did Jonghyun change or did Jinki change? Jinki didn’t know the answer, but he felt he was still the old Jinki. Did Jonghyun not consider him as bestfriend anymore? Did Jonghyun get another friend and then forget about him? Jinki shook his head, trying to get rid of that thoughts. Jonghyun that he knew wouldn’t ever do that. He was a loyal person and he also had a lot of friends before, so what was different right now?

“Hyung?” Jinki startled and jumped a little bit then he turned around. He was lost in thought and didn’t realize he had been standing in front of Jonghyun’s house for the past 10 minutes before Jonghyun greeted him and pulled him out from his thoughts. “How long have you been standing here? What are you doing just standing in front of my house?” asked Jonghyun with a curious look. “Ah, I come for practice. Don’t you remember it?” said Jinki with a sheepish grin. “Of course, I remember. But isn’t it at 8? it’s only 7.15.” “Yeah, I know. I just decided to come earlier,” Jinki chuckled, ”Hey, did you just get back from school at this hour?”. “Yes, hyung. Let’s go inside first.” Jonghyun and Jinki got inside the house.

“I will take a shower, just feel at home, hyung. After all you come here often,” said Jonghyun then he left Jinki who was feeling a little bit awkward now. Yeah, he used to come here and even stayed the night, but his  somehow he felt like a stranger or just a friend who came to Jonghyun’s house for the first time. “Aisssh, what’s wrong with me?” said Jinki to himself as he walked to the kitchen to get a drink for himself.

 After 15 minutes, Jonghyun came out from the bathroom felt refreshed. His sore body felt a little bit better after he took a warm shower. He was still sleepy and tired after all of that rough dance practice but at least he felt refreshed right now. He called his hyung to come to his room and they decided to start practicing.

Actually they didn’t need to practice for long, because they used to sing together and their voices blended perfectly made such a harmonious melody. Despite that, there was something off today. They didn’t get the feeling of the song. Their voices still beautiful but the feeling wasn’t right. It was a ballad song with sorrowful and hearbreaking feel. Jonghyun sometime got the feel right then he lost it then his voice wasn’t stable or even shaking. Jonghyun was often lost in his thoughts while singing and Jinki just observed him. Jinki knew Jonghyun got some problems even though he didn’t said so when he asked him. This time, Jinki wouldn’t let Jonghyun off the hook, and he would get the truth out from Jonghyun.

“Jjong,” said Jinki. “Hmm, hyung,” replied Jonghyun absentmindedly. “Let’s take a break for a moment.” “Okay, hyung,” Jonghyun agreed and then he walked to a table beside his bed to get his drink. “Want to drink, hyung?” offered Jonghyun. “No, I’m fine,” replied Jinki as he was still thinking how to voice out his thoughts. He gathered his courage and cleared his throat.

“Jjong,” “Yeah, hyung?” “We need to talk,” said Jinki with a serious voice. Jonghyun looked at Jinki with raised eyebrows. “About what hyung?” “Just come here first, sit near me and look at me then answer me honestly. We need to talk about what happened today at school.” “What happened today at school? I didn’t do anything wrong, did I?” asked Jonghyun back. “No, not exactly, but I know you are hiding something from me. You also seem to avoid me and we spend less time together,” replied Jinki. “Listen hyung, if this about I didn’t tell you about my other performance, I’m sorry. Moreover, I am not avoiding you, like what I said before I’ve just been busy with life hyung. I am busy and you are busy, both of us are busy with our own business,” answered Jonghyun. “Ani, Jjong. I know you. Yes, I am a little bit upset that you didn’t tell me about that performance, it is one thing but there is more than it. You didn’t tell me all the truth this afternoon. You have some problems that you didn’t tell me. Aren’t we best friends?  I am worried about you. We used to share secrets and help each other. What went wrong Jjong? Did I made some mistakes that upset you? You also don’t smile like you used to at me. Sometime you didn’t even look at me. I want to know what is wrong and I want to help you,” Jinki finally voiced out his thoughts.

Jonghyun kept silent and looked down at his hands. He didn’t know how to answer, obviously he couldn’t lie to his hyung but he also didn’t want to tell the truth. If he told him the truth then his hyung would know about his more-than-bestfriend feeling toward his hyung. He needed to think for an answer and fast. He needed to get out from this situation. He wasn’t ready to confess his feeling. He was ready a few weeks ago but not right now when his hyung already had girlfriend who he loved dearly.

“Jjong, answer me,”said Jinki sternly. “Ummm… Hyung, I just got a lot of things on my mind right now. I am also tired with school tasks and activities. I am also starting to look for part-time jobs, hyung,” answered Jonghyun after a while. “Then do you mind to share with me what are your thoughts that have been bothering you? Perhaps I can help you. Best friends are supposed to share and help each other,”asked Jinki.

Jonghyun bit his lip as he was thinking about his answer. Once more, he decided to tell half the truth. “I.. I- I am thinking about” you “my future hyung. We are going to graduate and go to university,” I want to move on from you but at the same time I don’t want to and I can’t “I am thinking about what major I want to take and which university. I am also looking for scholarship and I need to improve myself. I need to study more,” I am going to make myself busy to forget you “I have a lot of things to worry about and I don’t want to burden you with my worries, you also have your own worries, activities, and life. You also has girlfriend now hyung, you need to spend your time with her,” I am hurt to see you with her but I need to let go “I am sorry if I just hurt your feeling by not telling you all of this before,” I am sorry for not telling the truth “But remember this hyung. Whatever happens, I am still your best friend and you are my best friend. I will always love you and care about you,” more than best friend, hyung. I love you hyung with all my heart and soul more than best friend “Don’t ever doubt me,” answered Jonghyun with a painful smile.

Jinki let out a sigh. “I won’t ever doubt you Jjong. But you should tell me all of this before. You aren’t a burden for me. I am happy if I can help you. Just don’t keep more secrets from me okay? I will also love you forever even we grow old and have our own families, we always be best friend forever,” said Jinki with a reassuring smile and hugged  Jonghyun, trying to comfort him. ‘But I want more than that hyung, I want to be more than your best friend. I think I will always just be your best friend, no more than that,’ thought Jonghyun as he hugged Jinki back and a lone tear escaped from his eye.

“Okay, now you should cheer up more, Jjong. We still need to practice. Don’t you want to perform perfectly?” asked Jinki with a huge grin as he let go of Jonghyun. “Of course hyung, let’s get back to practice,” Jonghyun smiled back at him.  After that the room was full of their laughter and beautiful voice, just like the old times.

Jinki got back to his house around 11 p.m. He was having fun with Jonghyun and didn’t realize time flew so fast. He bid his goodbye to Jonghyun and left Jonghyun alone with his thoughts. “Thanks hyung for trying to cheer me up. I’ll try my best to move on and don’t show my feeling to you,” whispered Jonghyun to himself.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again thank you for staying with me even though it's been a long time since the last time I updated. I just wrote this whole chapter today. I didn't read it again and I just posted it hehehe ^^

I accepted your critics and suggestions, so please comment :)

Thank you. I hope you like and enjoy this chapter :)