Angel Wu Zitao

100% Synchronized

Even if Chaerin had told him to stay away from her, Tao still didn't budge. He got nothing else to do so he kept on going to her workplaces or the hospital but he never let her see him. He was often at Yedam's room since that was the place where Chaerin rarely goes because she was busy with work. He was already used to seeing Yedam and there were times when he talked to him, or read a story to him even if he does not know whether he could hear him. Surprisingly, he felt good after that.

One day, after Chaerin's last job she headed straight to the hospital, like she always did. When she arrived Yedam's doctor was already waiting for her. "Good morning Ms. Lee. I was hoping to see you today" Dr. Nam greeted. "Annyeong haseyo Dr. Nam" she politely greeted and then bowed. "Why were you waiting for me?"

"Well, you see Ms. Lee, the hospital was concerned on whether you could still payoff the dues from your brother's admittance" he cautiously said. Chaerin's mood fell. "Wae?" At that time, Tao had just arrived at the hospital and he saw them talking. He went nearer to hear what they were talking about.

"We might need to transfer Yedam to a public room and we have to dettach some machines" he answered. "Aniyo! No need to do that! I can pay for it" she firmly said. The doctor's tone became mellow. "Chaerin-sshi, we know that you're doing your best to pay off the bill. We know that you are very willing to pay so that your brother could stay here but that is not enough for us. We need proof that you could pay because even with the right attitude, circumstances might force you to neglect your obligations and in order to do so, we need to ask you to pay for at least half of your total bill by the end of the week."

"I... I understand what you're trying to say but half?! That's too high. I should work for two months to earn that much!" Chaerin argued. "Then I'm afraid we should transfer Yedam to a cheaper room and some machines attached to him should be removed. I'm sorry Chaerin-sshi."

"Can't you at least extend it for 2 weeks? Please. I will find a way to earn that amount but please give me more time" she begged. She could not hold back the tears as it began to stream down her face. It was the first time that Tao ever saw her cry. He stood frozen as he watched her.

Dr. Nam placed a hand on her shoulder to comfort her. "I know you have a good intention Ms. Lee but I can't. It would be unfair to the others in the same situation as you" he regretfully said. "I... I understand." She gave up on negotiating because she knew there was no chance. She cried even more. How could I fail in this? Why can't I do anything right? She knew she would let her parents and especially Yedam down, she was saddened by that fact.

"Then please give me until the end of the week! I... I will find a way to pay half of our bill. Please don't transfer Yedam yet!" she exclaimed. The doctor nodded in agreement. "Okay. Ms Chaerin. You have 4days." Chaerin bowed, "Thank you Dr. Nam! Thank you!"

She stayed in her postion for a while as she watched the doctor disappear from the corner. Tears won't stop from falling; the happy life she wanted for Yedam was disappearing. Eotteokhe? She wanted to scream but nothing would come out of ; she felt like she was going to faint.

 

Chaerin stared blankly at the empty hallway in front of her. It took a while before she could realize that someone was already standing a few feet from her. He was looking back at her; his expression was gloomy as he stared at her tears, her most vulnerable image. Tao stared at her without knowing what he should do.

She just kept on crying while looking at his direction. He began to walk towards her and when he was just a few feet away, she spoke weakly, "What are you doing here again? I told you, don't appear in front of me anymore. That also meant stop visiting Yedam!" Yes, she knew he was still visiting him after seeing the books and toys in Yedam's room. "You don't know him and he doesn't know you so please, stop coming here!" she loudly stated.

"I... I know that but..." Tao was still in a state of shock after seeing her cry. "But what?! Tao! Everything is a mess now, there is nothing you can do to make it messier!" She cried harder. Everything in her life had fallen apart what else can make it worse? She waited for him to speak but instead of speaking Tao hugged her. Her frail figure instantly leaned to his muscly chest, and that's when she knew she almost passed out. She struggled to get away from him but he was too strong, or rather, she was too weak. She could not stop crying that her tears soaked a part of his clothes.

"I know that you and Yedam are strangers to me, and I am to you, but it felt like I knew you after days of staying here. Chaerin-sshi, I don't expect you to forgive me, but let me comfort you at least because I can tell that you don’t have anyone to lean on right now.” Chaerin stopped fighting him off. Firstly, he was too strong. Secondly, she was weak. And lastly, at some point Tao was right; she really didn’t have anyone to depend on right now. However, she still hesitated. How could she trust a person who made her quit the thing that she loved doing; the reason why she in that place right now?

 

After a while, Chaerin had already stopped crying. Tao left and came back with two cups of hot chocolate. He extended one to her and said, “Here drink this. It’ll calm you down.” She took it without saying anything but a brief “Thanks.”

 

No one talked for almost an hour. Chaerin was already getting sleepy. She worked for more than 12 hours and hasn’t rested even for a few minutes but she didn’t want to doze off while Tao was still there. Good thing he began talking. “I didn’t intend to eavesdrop but I heard that you have to pay at least half of your bill or else Yedam would be transferred to a public room. Eotteokhe?”

She was flustered at what he said. Of course, he heard that conversation, she disappointedly thought. “I… I don’t know. I still haven’t figured that out.” She bit her lip and looked sadly at the ground. “I’ll pay for it” Tao volunteered but she frantically shook her head. “I don’t need anyone’s help. I think I can handle my own problems alone” she snapped. The memory of accepting his help while giving up on her dream is still fresh in her heart and mind.

Tao fell silent. He knew that she was doubting him. “I… I know you can handle it on your own, but how long would it take? Isn’t the recovery of your brother the most important thing right now?” he gently said. Hearing those words, Chaerin can’t help but feel pain. “I heard those words before! What do you want me to do now Tao? Do you want me to even go further?!” She flared up. “Just go Tao! I would never accept your help anymore because the last time I did, I had to disappoint a lot of people, even Yedam and my parents! So please leave!”

 

Tao could hear the firmness in her tone. He didn’t want her to get madder because it would exhaust her remaining energy. Without second thoughts, he stood up but didn’t walk away yet, instead he spoke without looking at her. “I know I have ruined your dream. I feel bad but I won’t say sorry for doing it.I really wanted things to go like that. But please know that I’m sincerely offering my help to you right now. I hope you can see that a person like me can change, at least at some point. Okay, I’ll go now, but I won’t stop worrying for you and Yedam.” With that said, he slowly went away.

 

Chaerin stared at his tracks, in confusion. How can he sound so different now? It’s like he meant everything he said. She massaged her nape to calm her tangled thoughts and rested her head against the cold wall until she fell asleep.

The next four days were more exhausting than ever. Chaerin looked for others places where she could work for a short time to earn the money she needed. Her schedule for the whole day was all spent working, without rest. She was awake for 23 and a half hours with only 30 minutes left to rest before she begin another long day. But even if she worked that long, she still could not earn enough to pay for half of the hospital bills.

 

On the fourth day, which was the last day given to her by the doctor, she was very exhausted and she only has half of what she needed. After the last hour of her shift, she went back to the hospital and sat beside Yedam’s bed. She held his hand and felt the warmth of his touch. Tears began to fall from her tired eyes.

“Yedam-ah, I did what I can but it still wasn’t enough. Mianhe! I am the worst, I know. Mianhe Yedam-ah, but I won’t give up. I won’t let you stay in a public room for long. I will work even more to earn enough and bring you back here. Arasso?” She could not speak anymore because her sobs had been choking her. She put her head down and cried even more.

At that time, Tao was listening outside Yedam’s room. He wanted to visit him again but when he saw Chaerin already there he just stayed outside and watched her. His heart ached when he saw tears stream down her face.

That morning, Chaerin woke up, still holding her brother’s hand. She kissed it and stood up to kiss his forehead. She looked at him, peacefully sleeping. “Yedam-ah, sarangahaeyo.” She carefully covered him with a blanket and went on to wash up and change her clothes. When she was done preparing, she took the small envelope from her bag and counted the money she earned for one last time, still it was half of what she needed. She took a deep breath and proceeded to the hospital’s cashier to pay what she could.

She was actually expecting the people around to look pitifully at her, but they smiled and greeted her brightly. Of course they wouldn’t know the misfortune I am in right now, she thought to herself. She slowly headed to the cashier window.

“Hi. I’m Lee Chaerin, sister of Lee Yedam. I will pay my dues right now. I understand that I have to pay half of my bill but unfortunately, I can’t earn that much, in such a short time, so I’ll just pay 1/4 of what I’m due” she said in a low voice and pulled out the envelope from her pocket. “Ms. Lee. We’re not expecting you to be here right now but do you want to pay in advance even if you have already advanced for a month?” the cashier brightly said, which made Chaerin feel confused.

“I… I thought I was asked to pay half of my bill today or else my brother will be transferred to a public room?” she asked, still baffled at what the woman was saying. “In know that Ms. Lee, but haven’t you paid for everything already? And even advanced for a month?” she nicely replied.

“What? But who would…?” Before she could even finish, Tao’s name suddenly rang through her mind. “Uhm… may I know who paid the bill?” she slowly asked. “Mr. Wu Zitao, the tall, blonde and handsome bachelor” she dreamily answered. I knew it! “Uhm… okay. Thank you.” She was about to go but the cashier spoke again.

“Ms. Lee, we are sorry for causing you inconvenience. How can we even doubt you for a second? It would never happen again in the future. I pray for the best for you brother” she said. “You’re so lucky to have someone like Mr. Wu.” Chaerin awkwardly smiled and bowed before leaving.

 

A lot of things were running through her mind as she hurriedly walked. “The whole amount is already paid? And a moth had been advanced? Tao paid it even if I told him I don’t need his help? But why? Did he want something in return? Where is he now? And why did the lady said “I’m lucky to have Mr. Wu”? What the is happening?” She kept on pacing quickly, looking around. He could not have gone away immediately.

 

When she turned a corner she saw him standing at the end of the hallway looking straight at her, smiling. She felt flared up so instantly. That smile of his really bothers her. She stormed her way towards him. “Yah! You! I told you to stay away! But you still won’t!” she shouted even if she was still a few feet away from him. Tao stayed still as she approached him. Chaerin could feel her head throbbing hard and her sight became blurry but she kept on walking. “What do you want now?! Huh? What do you want me to do now? Just tell me now and let’s get over with this?!” She was so mad.

“Like I said, I don’t want anything” he calmly answered. “Oh just say it Tao and spare me from the worry! Every time you appear in front of me, nothing good happens. Do you know that? Seeing you scares me and makes me want to run away! You’re a big trouble that is waiting to happen so as much as I could, I want to avoid you so badly!” Her words took a toll on Tao. He was already feeling a pang of pain as each of her word sank, hardly piercing his heart. “You know you can at least say thank you but like I said, I don’t want anything so I’ll just leave” he took a few steps forward and then stopped. “I really hope that someday you could at least smile when you see me.”

 

Chaerin refused to look at him. She made her way towards Yedam’s room she was about to open the door when she remembered what he said. “I really hope that someday you could at least smile when you see me.” She felt guilty upon hearing those from him. What if he was really was sincere? A lot of things run through her mind but she did not entertain any of them anymore. She was already very tired.

She opened the door and her eyes widened upon witnessing Yedam’s room neatly decorated with colorful balloons floating to the roof. A sofa and a small dining table was also added to the room. She noticed that a superman blanket was covering Yedam and also, beside his bed are story books and clothes printed with superman logo. How did he know that Superman is Yedam’s favorite character?, she thought. Lastly, she noticed the stuffed dog that Yedam was hugging. It was identical to the dog that Yedam lost a week after losing their parents.

Tears subconsciously fell from Chaerin’s eyes, not because she was sad but because she was touched that someone like Tao appeared to help her brother. She immediately ran outside to look for Tao, but he was already long gone. He left the hospital, even Busan and went back to the place of misery, envy, anger and competition.

 

Chaerin did not realize that she was holding the book Tao left for Yedam. She became curious when something fell from it. It was a piece of paper neatly folded. She carefully opened it and fresh tears formed on the corner of her eyes as she read what was written inside.

NOTICE OF TRANSFER

Patient: Lee Yedam

From: Busan Hospital

To: Seoul District Hospital

Transfer Fee: 500,000,0000 KRW

Paid by: Wu Zitao

An authorized signature was only needed so that Yedam could be transferred back to Seoul and for Chaerin to live once again in the place where their parents left them.

And here it is! Another chapter for you all.

I know I know. I took too long to update.

I'm sorry. Work had been hectic lately and it would last for a long time but I'll still try to update.

I can't tell you how often I could update now so I just hope you'd stay put and wait patiently. 

I'll do my best and make you all happy!

Please leave your comments below.

Thank you so much. 

Don't forget that I LOVE YOU GUYS sooooo much!