Night Sky

100% Synchronized

When she arrived at the place, her eyes immediately wandered looking for Kris, even before she stepped out of the cab. And when she did, her eyes widened to see that Kris was sitting at a bench with his head down and his hair and clothes were soaking wet. She immediately run to and scolded him. “Yah! It’s raining eotteokhe?” She covered him with her umbrella as if he would be dry when she did that. “What time is it already? You should’ve left! Pabo!”

Upon hearing her voice, Kris’ mood brightened, even if it was raining hard. Due to his happiness, he subconsciously stood up and hugged Chaerin. “I’m so happy that you came.Thanks” he softly uttered.

Chaerin was shocked at what he did but she felt that he was shivering so she let him hug her for a while to transfer her warmth to him. He took his hand and led him to the tower’s lobby. She made him sit at the waiting area as she bought something warm for him to drink.

 

After a while, she went back holding a hot cup of coffee, a towel and souvenir shirt. “Here, drink this to keep yourself warm. You’re freezing!” she said while handing the coffee. Kris gladly took it. “Thanks.” Their hands brushed in the process and Chaerin felt pity that his hands were as cold as ice. She immediately dried off his hair with a towel. At that time, she couldn’t explain why she was doing all of those things for him but she was glad that she did.

Maybe, seeing him waiting under the rain for her, made her heart soft towards him. Her obliviousness for his feelings was broken off thinking that he might really be serious. But again, she could not let her guard down too much because she had to stay strong and leave. 

However, for that moment she wanted to experience her dream for a short while. A dream that she knew would never come true for her. She decided to go along with what’s going to happen that night since tomorrow, she had to wake up and face reality.

 

Kris looked at her in awe. After she had turned him down several times, here she is taking care of him, making sure that he won’t get sick. He was touched by her actions. After Jiyoon died, no one else took care of him like she was doing now.

 

Chaerin gave him the shirt. “I… I know this is not your style but I think it’s better than wearing your wet clothes,” she said. Kris laughed and argued. “Yah! I’m Kris Wu! I’m Wu Group’s heir! Do you think I would wear that?!” She raised an eyebrow at him. “You don’t have a choice, okay?! Just go and change!” She pushed him to go to the bathroom.

Kris smiled after he turned his back on her. Seeing and talking to her like this make his heart at ease; like he was in another world, a wonderful one.

 

After several minutes Kris came out, awkwardly brushing the shirt he had changed into. Chaerin let out a giggle as she examined his appearance. “Wae? Wae?” he frantically asked. “Make sure to stick with branded clothes next time.” His expression turned embarrassed and at the same time annoyed, “Okay, that’s it. I’m changing this!”

She stopped him from going back to the bathroom. “Andwae! Don’t take it seriously! I was just joking. It’s not that bad. Let’s go” she assured him. “Where are we supposed to go anyway?” she asked. Without talking, Kris took her hand and led her to the elevator to go up the tower. She just let him and her heart kept on beating fast since then.

 

When they got to the top, Chaerin was amazed by the view. The lights from the houses and the buildings that illuminated the dark city, and the moon and stars which decorates the night sky were all just so dream-like for her. “Thanks for taking me here. It’s my first time in a place like this and I’m happy I get to witness it.”

“I’m glad you liked it” he replied. “This is better than my dream” she stated. “Of course, because this is reality” he gladly said.

Chaerin’s bright mood turned dark and gloomy as she shook her head in disagreement. “This is just a better dream. For a girl like me, these things couldn’t be reality. They will forever remain in my dreams.”

Kris looked at her intently and said, “Wae? Why can’t you accept that this is real?” She looked back at him with a sad expression. “Namsan tower, night lights, the moon and stars in the night sky… and you… heir of Wu Group. I just don’t have time for all of them. I’m still figuring my life out and trying my best to hold it together. I can’t just skip my needs and go straight to luxury. Andwae. That’t not how my life goes.” She was already in the verge of tears and was just trying to hold them back.

“Are you saying that my feelings for you are not real?” he asked in a disappointed tone. “Then, do you think your feelings for me are real?” she answered with another question. “Nae! Chaerin-sshi, I meant what I said. I… really like you!” he firmly stated.

Chaerin’s tears streamed down her face. “See? The way you say those words is so dream-like that it could never exist in my reality! And same to yours. Your reality is so much better than liking me. You wouldn’t actually be here and waste time on me.”

Kris tears also fell. He felt frustrated because the night that he thought would be the best night of his life turned into a miserable one. “Chaerin-sshi, why couldn’t you accept that my feelings for you are real? Is it because you’re afraid that you couldn’t return it to me? Or am I really not worth your time?”

She frantically shook her head. “That’s not it. I wish that one of those is the reason, but no, it’s not. We have different lives that we should live in and both of them would never, no, they cannot cross each other’s paths. Kris-sshi, this is just a dream for you too and tomorrow, when you wake up this beautiful night sky, these feelings, and me… never existed.”

“How can you be so sure? Huh?” he desperately asked. “I’m not sure, but I kept on wishing that it would happen like that.”

 

Kris turned even sadder. “Why do you wish those kinds of things?!” He tightly held both of her shoulders and looked at her eyes piercingly. “Chaerin-sshi, just tell me the real reason why you’re acting like this! I’m so confused and I want answers! Please! Don’t you like me too?”

“I… I…” she couldn’t answer anymore. She looked down to avoid his eyes. “Like I said, this is just a dream for both of us…”

“Yah! If you don’t like me, just turn me down rather than saying that this is all a dream! Turning me down will be less hurtful!” he said in an angry tone. Chaerin looked back at his sad eyes. Seeing them makes her weaker. How can he look this pitiful? “Kris-sshi, close your eyes and you’ll know the answer.”

“What?!” He was even more confused. “Just close your eyes and count to 10” she instructed him.

 

Without any more words, Kris gently closed his eyes and began counting. “1… 2…”

Chaerin began walking away with her tears falling down her face. Mianhe. It’s not that I don’t like you, but I just couldn’t return your feelings for now. No, I can never return them because I have to disappear. Mianhe!, she sadly thought.

 

“…3 …4”

 

She stopped on her tracks and turned around to look once more at Kris. His pitiful image sent thousand daggers piercing through her heart. She felt like she was going to collapse and her heart was about to explode. She ran to face him.

Then it happened so suddenly… her lips were pressed on Kris’ lips. She closed her eyes trying to preserve this moment. Kris didn’t open his eyes either. He wanted this moment to last.

 

Chaerin removed her lips from his and continued counting for him as she slowly walked away. “…7 …8”

This time she was sure that she was going to leave him. She kept on crying until she reached the elevator. Good thing no one was riding it with her. She let out all her feelings and broke down on the floor. “Mianhe! Mianhe!”

 

The truth is she liked him too but due to her circumstances she could not pour it out freely. She didn’t want to drag him into her miserable life. No, he had to live like he used to. He is Kris Wu, heir of Wu Group, and she could not bear ruining that wonderful future for him.

 

“…9 …10”

 

Kris opened his eyes expecting to see Chaerin in front of him. His mind was still clouded by the kiss he had with Chaerin but his feelings instantly fell when he realized that he was already alone at that place. Chaerin wasn’t there anymore. He immediately ran to chase after her until he reached the lobby but there was still no sign of her.

 

He ran outside to look for her, not minding the rain. He desperately looked for her, but again, he could not find her anywhere. His body suddenly fell to the ground. He was already weak from all the frustrations and sadness he was feeling.

 

Several feet away from him, Chaerin stood hidden under her umbrella in the darkness. She was observing Kris from that distance and she felt hurt and sad that he had to be like that just for a mere individual like her. “Kris-sshi, forget this awful night, forget about your feelings for me and most of all… try and forget me! Brush away anything that pertains to me and live like you usually did…”

She walked away, without looking back at or stopping for him anymore. She was sure now that what she had to do is to leave.

 

Tears continuously fall from her eyes even after she reached the hospital. She was relieved that Krystal was already sleeping so she wouldn’t have to explain anything to her. She was determined to forget this night, forget her feelings for Kris and forget that he ever existed in her life. She had to save Yedam and sacrificing her heart and her dreams is the only way to do so.

 

 

The next day, news had already erupted that Chaerin left the competition. Everyone was taken aback at the sudden controversy. The contestants, staff, audience, authorities and everyone alike wanted answers. Many reporters had alredy gathered in front of Wu Entertainment building, Wu Corporation building and even in Kris’ penthouse, waiting for official statements from everyone involved.

 

Kris was woken up with the continuous ringing of his phone. He groaned first before answering it, “Hello? Kris Wu speaking.” He heard a chaotic noise on the background before the person on the other line spoke. “Sir! Where are you?! Everyone is in a state of shock!”

“Wait, who is this?” he wondered without even checking the caller ID. “Mr. Wu, this is Secretary Yoon. Where are you?” his secretary said.

“Yoon-sshi? What happened? Why are you in such a panic? I’m still in my penthouse” he worriedly said. “Didn’t you know that Ms. Lee Chaerin quit? I guess not since you had just woken up. Anyway, everyone is in shock about the news. They want answers as to why she quitted and why the team let her go so easily” he nervously said.

Kris eyes widened upon hearing Chaerin’s name and quit in one sentence. “What are you talking about? She won’t quit! She can’t!” he frustratedly said. “Look at the news Mr. Wu. I’ll come to pick you up since it will be difficult for you to go out alone” his secretary said.

“Wae?” He was even more confused. “Reporters are gathered outside your penthouse also outside Wu Corporation and Wu Entertainment buildings. It’s difficult to control them yourself so I’ll go there and take 3 bodyguards with me. I’ll see you soon.” He hung up even before Kris could speak.

 

He watched the news that morning. Everyone keep on saying that Chaerin already quit but he still doesn’t believe it. He saw her last night and she didn’t mention anything about quitting. And then her words echoed in his head, Kris-sshi, this is just a dream for you too and tomorrow, when you wake up this beautiful night sky, these feelings, and me… never existed.

Never existed? Is this what she meant about that? He didn’t want to believe it but something inside him tells him that he was right, unfortunately. He dressed up quickly and waited for his secretary to arrive.

 

After a few minutes, the doorbell rang and when Kris checked the monitor, it was his secretary and behind him were three other men dressed in similar suits. He opened the door for them.

“Have you seen the news?” his secretary asked without even greeting him and Kris could only nod in response.

 

They head first to Wu Entertainment to have an emergency meeting with the whole production team of the show. When he arrived, reporters swarmed to him asking multiple questions which he could not answer for the moment since he still doesn’t know the whole story and saying half-thought answers might make the issue worst.

 

When Kris entered the board room, everyone was there; his parents, Tao and his parents, Tiffany, Suga, the director and assistant director, the producer and the two other contestants. He felt all their eyes are looking at him so he took a deep breath before taking his seat.

“I know the news about one contestant quitting is a big shock to all of us. Though we are still not sure if she really quit, we still have to deal with this issue ahead. We tried to contact Ms. Lee but she could not be reached by any of the staff. We are also on the process of investigating why this issue just suddenly exploded even if we still have no words from the person concerened” Kris spoke.

“We already know everything you said. Shouldn’t we be dealing with things that are unknown?” Tao harshly asked. Everyone was shocked at the way he asked his question but no one spoke up. “Nae, I agree with you Tao. Since you’re in-charge of this show, what do you suppose we do?” Tao smirked. “How about a press conference to declare our statement on the issue and also to clarify some of their questions?”

“That’s a good idea Tao. But we should wait until tomorrow before holding the press conference. We need to get Ms. Lee’s statement first before we could formulate our own. So everyone, please try contacting her and inform us as soon as you talked to her. For now this meeting is adjourned.”

 

He stood up and went back to the car to go to his office in Wu Corp. He didn’t know what he should feel right now. He also didn’t know where to begin thinking. Everything was just too much to handle.

He put his head down on his desk and closed his eyes. However, after a few minutes, someone knocked on the door. “Come in” he said.

A girl in her mid-20s entered the room with an envelope on her hands. “Mr. Wu, these are the pictures from yesterday’s episode. I was instructed to deliver it to you” she said as she placed the envelope on his table. “Thanks” he replied before the girl left.

 

He stared at the envelope for a short while. He knew that he’d be seeing Chaerin’s photos with it so his heart raced. Thinking of you makes my heart beat fast. What should I do now? How can I ever treat you as a person from my dream when I get these real feelings every time I think about you?

 

He slowly opened it and the first picture he saw, made him froze in his seat. Chaerin’s photo was the first one, but that’s not the reason why he went to a shock.

It was because her hair was dyed black. That jet black hair made her even more 100% synchronized with Song Jiyoon. Looking at the picture and thinking about her name made his head hurt once more. It hurts so much that his vision became blurry.

 

After minutes of struggling, his body passed out but his mind was left in a complete trance. He kept on seeing Chaerin’s face even though he knew that he should be seeing Song Jiyoon. Song Jiyoon? Lee Chaerin? How are you related? Why does my heart beat like this for the both of you? Why? Why? Why?

***END OF CHAPTER***