Better Circumstances

100% Synchronized

The following day, Tiffany arrived at the set early. She was happy to see Kris’ car already parked outside Wu Entertainment building. She immediately dialed Kris’ number and called him. “Oppa, where are you?”

“I’m at the rooftop. Wae?” Kris anwered.

“I saw your car at the parking lot” she replied. “Oppa, let’s eat before the show starts.”

“Okay, I’ll meet you at the nearby café” he said.

“Okay bye” she happily said and then hung up.

 

When Kris arrived at the café, Tiffany was already there. “Annyeong oppa” she brightly greeted.

Kris gave her a small grin.

“I was surprised you weren’t late. Were you that excited for the show?” she skeptically asked.

“Yes. It’s something I’ve never experienced before. It’s very different from what I grew up with” he honestly replied.

“Really? Wae? Is it because of the models?” she sarcastically asked.

Kris smiled, not noticing Tiffany’s annoyed expression.

“Who? Lee Chaerin? Huh oppa?” she pointed out.

“What are you saying?” he asked suddenly surprised at Tiffany’s accusation.

“I’m saying that you are excited for the show because of Lee Chaerin!” Her voice rose.

“What does she have to do with this huh?” he calmly asked, trying to tolerate her.

“Oppa! You have your eyes on that , huh?! I saw how you looked at her photos. And all the time, you get hers first! Oppa! You don’t even know her and yet you’re all over her!” she argued.

 

He couldn’t take it anymore so he dragged her outside of the café. “Yah! How come you’re like this now?! Yeah I don’t know her and so do you! So don’t call her a or any other names. She’s Lee Chaerin and it’s none of your business why I kept on looking at her photos! Understand? Whether I’m all over her or not, also doesn’t concern you!” he coldly said.

“Yes it does!” she shouted, already in the verge of tears.

“Wae?” he coldly replied.

“We were engaged oppa! Doesn’t that ring a bell to you anymore?” she weakly said as tears began to trace down to her face.

“That’s the point, we WERE. It's past tense” he said in the most hurtful tone. “I gotta go.”

He was about to walk away when Tiffany hugged him from the back. “Oppa, you don’t mean that right? I still have a chance. We still have a chance. Aniyo?” She cried even more.

 

Across to where they were was Tao who had just got off his car. Seeing them hugging sent a thousand daggers piercing his heart. It didn’t take long before tears fell from his eyes.

 

“Tiffany, there’s no chance anymore. WE won’t happen at all” he seriously said.

“Oppa, look at me and tell me that once more, and then we’ll see if there’s really no chance anymore” she begged as she turned his face towards her.

Kris looked at her intently and began speaking, “Tiffany, there’s no…” He was cutoff when Tiffany put her arms around his neck and pressed her lips against his. She had her eyes closed.

Kris just stared blankly in front of him while he stood frozen. He was only waiting for Tiffany to let go of him and then he’ll leave. He really wasn’t feeling anything for her.

 

Tao didn’t want see anything anymore. He turned and walked away. Kris! This is the last strand of patience I can offer you. I’ve had enough! I won’t let you get everything anymore!, he madly thought while his tears were still falling.

 

When the judges sat together, there was a noticeably awkward mood around them. No one was talking nor smiling to one another from the beginning up to the end of the show.

 

The next two episodes were pretty much the same, wherein Jiyeon was still best photo followed by her three arrogant friends while CL and Ailee trailed just behind them. It went on like that until the special episode, The Gucci PhotoshootFor that day, guests were invited to have a peer talk with the remaining six models and to judge that day’s set of photos.

The host introduced them as Patrizio di Marco, Gucci’s President and Ms. Lee Hyori, the most famous and in demand female endorser in Korea. Both of them were to visit the girls separately, with the former accompanied by Tiffany and the latter accompanied by Kris.

 

Chaerin was waiting anxiously with Ailee and Hyosung for the arrival of the guest. They don’t know who they were but they only heard that they were respected people in the industry.

“This day surely is exciting and at the same time nerve-wracking!” Ailee exclaimed.

“I know, not only the best photo is on the line but also products from Gucci!” Chaerin spazzed with her. “And we’ll be meeting more famous people!”

“Kyaaa! What’s taking them so long?” she panicky said.

“You two just shut up and keep on hoping okay? Just be scared that one of you will be eliminated today!” Hyosung sneered feeling annoyed at their reactions.

Chaerin shockingly stared at her.

“Just ignore her Chaerin-ah!” Ailee defended her as she pulled her away, to sit somewhere else.

 

And without waiting much more, they heard knocks on their door, and appeared in front of them were none other than the famous model, Lee Hyori with Kris Wu. Chaerin’s eyes widened as she looked at her in awe. I have seen her somewhere, not in magazines, televisions or billboards, but somewhere else, she thought.

Hyori caught her staring and she smiled at her. “It’s you again! I’m happy to know that you’re still in the competition!” she happily said, which made Chaerin even more confused.“Uhm… nae!” She tried to sound like she knew where they first met. “Just imagine that a few weeks ago, I just saw you slumping on the benches in the locker room, and now, you’re here!” the model exclaimed. Chaerin mentally snapped on her mind as she suddenly remembered that day when she was feeling so down because everything wasn’t going the way she expected it to be.

 

Flashback

Chaerin sat on the chair in the locker room, feeling frustrated with what was happening to her.

“Hey, rough day?” a gentle voice sounded behind her.

“Yes, everyone is giving me a hard time because of what I said in the first day” she replied without looking at her.

“That shows how first impressions last” Hyori stated.

“Really? Can’t I be given the chance to give them second impressions of me?” she complained.

“Oh dear, of course you can. You’ll see. As time passes by, you’re life here would be much better” she advised.

“Why do you sound so sure?” she confusingly asked.

“I’ve been there” she briefly answered.

End of flashback

 

Hyori then began her mentoring. “Girls, being a model doesn’t mean that everything is good and nothing else would go wrong. That’s a wrong notion on being one. You have to feel a lot of disappointments and failures before you can reach the top. And it’s always a constant learning and practice. Not because you’re the best today, means that you’ll still be the best tomorrow. You have to be more creative and unique in order to be noticeable from the crowd. You have to show people something new. It’s also the same on Kris’ line of work. If you don’t show the market something else, they’ll get tired and bored with what you have. Right Kris-sshi?” she professionally spoke as the three girls listened intently at her. “Nae. You have to offer something interesting on the table” Kris added as he looked intently on Chaerin only. No one noticed because they were too engrossed with the words. 

 

After those words of wisdom, Hyori decided to talk to each one of them alone to sort out their strengths and weaknesses and to give them special tips for their own benefit. She talked to Hyosung first and followed by Ailee, so Chaerin was left alone with Kris. She politely bowed to him when their eyes met for a few seconds while he also did so awkwardly.

 

To break-off the silence, Kris decided to open a conversation. “Are you nervous?” “Yeah! A lot! It’s a very difficult thing for me. I didn’t expect to reach this far but since I’m here I’ll just be thankful” she humbly replied. “All the girls here are pros and competing with them makes me feel small and unskilled” she sadly admitted. Kris only stared at her as he tried to understand how she was feeling.

“Oops!” she exclaimed. “I’m sorry for chattering away like this, Sajangnim. Please feel free to shut me up” she shyly uttered. “Why do you doubt yourself so much?” he pitifully said. “Don’t you even think that you could beat these girls?” he asked in confusion. She shook her head. “They’re prettier, ier and have more experience than me.”

Kris shuddered at the familiarity of her weak spirit and self-doubting words. Song Jiyoon used to say, “Oppa, I can’t do it. These people are better than me. They all have experience in this field. They’re smarter and more professional! I think I’m not fit for the business world. Mianhe! I don't think I would be of much help to Oppa, when your work gets tougher” and his usual response are uplifting words which magically gave her self-confidence.

“Sajang-nim?” Chaerin called after she noticed that Kris had already dozed off. “Are you okay?” she said and then smiled brightly at him. He, once again, felt his heart raced as he caught the sight of that wonderful smile. “Y-yeah, I-I’m fine” he stuttered. “Oh. Okay. I gotta go. Ms. Lee already wants to talk to me.” She bid a polite goodbye before walking away.

But before he could even reply, she was already running away from him. “Bye Chaerin-sshi. Good luck!” he uttered under his breathe.

 

When Chaerin arrived at the room where Hyori was, she gave her a polite bow before sitting across her. “Okay Lee Chaerin-sshi, let’s us look first at your portfolio from the past photoshoots.” Hyori looks at each one of them, carefully examining it. “Hmm.. these photos are great. What places were you in with these?” “The first one, I was 9th and then for the last three pictures, I was able to get 5th place” she answered.

“5th place for three consecutive days?” she clarified, wherein Chaerin replied with a nod. “That’s not bad at all! It’s good that you were able to maintain it, but Chaerin-sshi, are you happy or satisfied with always trailing behind four girls?” she nicely asked. Chaerin didn’t answer. She knew that this kind of question are not meant to be answered in one snap but she thought of it, Do I really want to be 5th forever?

“Looking at these pictures tells me that you have are expressive and your poses are exquisite but they seem to lack some grandness. It kinda looked like you were holding back. You know what I mean?” she stated. The younger shook her head in confusion which made the famous model smile.

“Okay let me ask you this instead. Chaerin-sshi, what are you most afraid of when doing photoshoots?” She answered, “Overdoing things?” 

“That’s it!” Hyori snapped. “That is why your poses and expressions were held back, it’s because you were afraid that you might overdo it!” She held Chaerin’s hand, just like how people do to calm or make the other feel better. “Ms. Lee Chaerin, there is a fine line between overdoing it and exerting your best effort on it. When you overdo it, you think and do too much that it makes you look funny, awkward or plainly disgusting. But when you exert your best effort, you don’t think too much instead you just naturally go with what your heart suggests.”

Chaerin smiled as she suddenly processed what Hyori meant. “And for this Gucci photoshoot, I think exerting your best effort will help you reach the top. Chaerin-sshi, think first of doing your best before you think about overdoing it because once you think about the latter, you may stop at the middle looking like you have done it half-heartedly. You know, it will look more awkward and fake. Gucci is all about the elegant lifestyle and you should naturally and confidently look the part. Do you understand that?” Her tone sounded like she was more of her sister rather than her mentor. 

“Nae. I do. I guess I’ll start doing things whole-heartedly” she replied. “You guess? Aniyo! You should!” she cheered her on. “Be confident on what you have. Don’t hold back and just do it!”

“Okay. Thank you Hyori sunbaenim!” she happily responded. “Goodluck Chaerin-sshi! I’m counting on you!”

 

Chaerin thought about Hyori’s words until her photoshoot. She was so excited in wearing Gucci clothes and accessories for the first time and she was able to bring that excitement until the end of her shoot. Hyori, who was sitting among the judges, feeliny pleased at Chaerin’s performance. She was hoping for the best during the judging portion.

 

After the long discussion with the judges, the models were called back for the announcement of the best photo to be done by the Gucci president himself. “Okay ladies, after a very long and difficult debate with my co-judges, we have agreed that this day’s best photo goes to….” he paused for a moment as he admires the picture he was holding. “Aigoo! This girl looks perfect in my Gucci clothes and accessories! I would definitely give her those. Add a bag and perfume!” he declared which made the girls even more anxious. “Without further ado, let me introduce to you the best photo for today… Ms. Lee Chaerin!”

 

Hyori, Suga and, of course, Kris was happy. They watched how Chaerin’s posture stiffened and expression went blank. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. It was a shock not only to her but also to the other contestants. Ailee kept on clapping and cheering for her friend. Jiyeon glared the top performer while her three minions comforted her and insulted Chaerin with they eyes.

 

Chaerin slowly walked towards Patrizio di Marco to get her photo. Her mind was still in the clouds and her body was flying somewhere else. She didn’t know how to react until she was face-to-face with Gucci’s president. Her tears suddenly fell as she looked at her photo and received a hug from him. Hyori also stood up to hug her. “I knew you could do it! I’m so proud of you!” she excitedly whispered which made her even happier. After her parents died, there was no one else that made her feel like she was doing perfectly well. Although Yedam and Krystal were always there to support her, they were never vocal about it.

 

After that wonderful day, Chaerin were always chosen as the model with the best photo up until three of them was left to compete, herself, Jiyeon and Ailee.

***END OF CHAPTER***

 

Hello subbies and readers!

I'm back with another chapter!

Hope you like it!

Please don't forget to leave your comments!

Anticipate the next chapters!

Thanks for reading!