Flashback

100% Synchronized

“Where can I get the money to pay for these?” Chaerin said as she looked down at the total amount on the calculator, which is the sum of all the bills that had to be paid. “I think it’s time to wake up and face the reality that I can’t continue studying in Wu University.” She felt sad at the idea but she had no choice. More than half of all their income goes to her studies.

“Yah! Noona! What are you saying? You can’t quit your studies; you already promised me that you’ll graduate there! Don’t forget that Eomma and Appa wanted you to finish!” Yedam reacted angrily when he heard what Chaerin said.

“But Yedam-ah, we can’t pay for these bills if I kept on studying there. Almost all of our money goes to my studies. How can we possibly make ends meet?” Chaerin said, already on the verge of tears.

Yedam noticed that his sister was about to cry so he went near her and put his hand on her back to comfort her. “Noona, we can transfer to a cheaper apartment. I can also transfer to a public school.”

“Why should you be the one sacrificing? You already have friends in that school? I won’t allow that to happen.” Chaerin covered her eyes to hide the tears from his brother.

“I’ll be fine. Ok? You have to finish first then I can go back to a private school when everything is better? Right? I still have lots of time to make new friends” he said very comfortingly. “Eomma and Appa would be happy to see you graduate at Wu University.”

Chaerin looked up at his brother and said, “Will you really be fine? You won’t get mad at me?”

“Why would I be mad at you? You did everything for us to live. You deserve to reach your dreams.” Yedam smiled.

Chaerin felt better upon seeing his brother’s very comforting smile. She smiled back and said, “Thank you! You are the best brother!”

Chaerin and Yedam moved to a smaller and cheaper apartment at the end of an alley. The place gets very dark at night and drunken men often pass by, but they had no choice but to take it.

 

Flashback

5 years ago…

“Annyeong! I am Song Jiyoon. Please take care of me!” she said then bowed after she was introduced by the manager to her co-workers. She sat at the desk near the window, beside a tall boy who is about her age. “Hi! I am Song Jiyoon, you are?” she then flashed the brightest smile.

The boys beside her ignored her as he continued looking at his cellphone. This was their first interaction.

Everyone liked Jiyoon immediately because of her bright and gentle personality. She is friends with everyone at her area, except for the boy seated beside her.

“Unnie, the person beside me, who is he? He seemed to hate me. I don’t know why. I shouldn’t care right? But I am bothered every day. He always sits beside me but we never talked at least once” Jiyoon said to a lady with a curly hair.

“Who? Kris?” the lady asked.

“Is that his name? The tall one?” she replied.

“Yes! Aigoo! Don’t even try to get close to him. He is purely cold and mean” she answered.

“Really? Why?” Jiyoon asked.

“There was one time when an employee tripped and spilled coffee all over him. He had that employee fired. I heard he also beat him up in the carpark” she cautiously stated.

“Really? Just because of a coffee? He had that employee fired? Who is he to do that?” she said angrily.

Kris suddenly appeared and the lady Jiyoon was talking to gasped in fear and worriedly said, “Yah! I think he heard us!”

“I don’t care!” Jiyoon was still mad.

Kris felt a stabbing pain in his insides after hearing everything. He was never greeted by the girl after that.

 

6 months later…

Two drunken men, who seemed to be employees of Wu Corporation bumped into an old lady  5 meters away from Jiyoon. “Yah! Watch were you’re going grandma!” one of the men shouted, and then they left the lady who fell on the ground. Jiyoon was about to approach the two men to scold the when…

“Yah! What do you think you’re doing?!” Kris said as he appeared in front of the employees.

“Why? She was the one who wasn’t looking! That blind grandma!” the shorter man answered.

Kris felt his blood shot up and his whole body felt hot. He was furious at what the man said. Without hesitating, Kris punched the man’s face then elbowed the other, who was about to beat him. Both men fell on the ground in pain.

“Yah! How dare you do that to us?!” they said angrily.

“You are at fault and yet you blamed the poor grandma over there! I won’t let you off until you say sorry to her!” Kris shouted very angrily. He pulled both of the men up from their coats and dragged them to the old lady.

Jiyoon helped the grandma up, “Are you okay, grandma? Are you hurt somewhere?”

“I’m okay” the grandma replied, even if her leg was really badly hurt.

Kris stopped and pushed the two men nearer to the old lady and then said, “Say you’re sorry!”

The two men apologized and bowed in fear.

“I will report this to the Company and have both of you receive a disciplinary action!” Kris said threateningly.

“Please don’t! We’ll never do it again,” they begged.

“Disciplinary action? Or do you want to get fired?” Kris replied.

“Aish!” they both reacted.

“Go now before I do something more to both of you! Leave!!!” Kris shouted while both men almost run. He then turned towards the grandma, then bowed, “Grandma, I apologize for what they did. They are a shame to our Company. I’m sorry. Are you okay? Can you walk home?” He looked very concerned.

Jiyoon was surprised at the man’s gentleness towards the lady.

“Thank you young man. I’m fine” the grandma replied. Jiyoon let her go for her to walk, but her legs were really in pain.

Without hesitation, Kris lifted the grandma carefully and carried her towards his car. “Let’s go take her to the hospital” he said to Jiyoon.

Jiyoon just nodded and followed him to his car.

They took the grandma to the Wu Hospital to have her leg treated. She was immediately discharged since the injury wasn’t serious. Kris and Jiyoon took her to her home. The lady invited them in to have dinner which they agreed to.

“Thanks grandma! The food was really nice!” Jiyoon brightly said.

“Come visit me anytime you want okay? I’ll cook more for you” the grandma replied happily.

“Yes we will. Thank you. We’ll leave then.” Kris said then bowed.

They walked towards Kris car.

“Where do you live? I’ll take you home” he offered.

“I’m fine. I’ll just take the bus. Thank you” she replied. She bowed and the walked away from Kris.

Kris let her go home alone that night since he is not the kind of person to insist.

 

The next day…

“Hi! Good morning!” Jiyoon tried greeting Kris who was already there.

Kris smiled at her.

Jiyoon was taken aback at what she saw. She brightly smiled back to him. This was the first time Kris saw her smile, it was hypnotizing.

 

End of flashback

 

“Hyung! What are you thinking? It looked very deep?” Tao interrupted.

Kris snapped back to the present and realized that he was at the VIP table at his bar. “What? It’s nothing”, he denied. The image of the girl smiling stayed in his mind the whole night. He lost the mood to party so he left early leaving Tao behind, who was still enjoying himself.

He stopped by a convenience store during his way home. He was greeted by a familiar feeling upon entering the store. He went straight to the back of the store and picked up a banana milk and an instant ramen. He had the ramen prepared and sat on the table near the window.

Upon opening the ramen, the familiar smell made his mind wander again to the past.

 

Flashback

4 years ago…

Kris was driving that time and was passing to the same store when he saw Jiyoon. He noticed her troubled expression as she heads towards the store’s entrance. He parked his car then went inside the store.

He that Jiyoon seemed blank so he went to her and said, “Jiyoon-sshi?”

“Omo! You shocked me!” she reacted. “Annyeong! Kris-sshi!” She greeted after calming down. She smiled at him brightly.

Again, Kris was hypnotized by her smile. “What are you buying?” he asked.

“Ramen and Banana Milk” she replied.

“Don’t tell me that’s your breakfast” he said.

“Well, it is. It’s yummy! You should try it. Here I’ll treat you!” she picked out two ramen and banana milk.

Kris did not react since he was curious at what would it taste.

They sat at the same table near the window.

Jiyoon excitedly opened her cooked ramen and inhaled the smell from the food, “Waaa! It looks good! Let’s eat!” She started eating while Kris just stared at his food. “Yah! Aren’t you gonna eat? Omo! Don’t tell me you haven’t tried this?” she said upon realizing that Kris was a rich man. “Just eat it, it’s yummy, it won’t kill you” she then smiled.

Kris tried the food and upon swallowing it, “Waa! You’re right! It’s very good!” It was Kris’ first time to eat a meal that wasn’t cooked by his chef and served by his maids.

 

End of flashback

 

Upon arriving at his own penthouse, he took a shower and changed in his pajamas. He went to his work room and opened his drawer which is full of sticky notes with messages on each one of them. On top of it was a necklace with 2 rings and a cross as its pendant.

 

Flashback

3 years ago…

Kris was promoted as the manager of his department. When he arrived at his office, he saw a green sticky note posted on his door, Oppa! Congratulations on your promotion! I wanted to see you last night but… anyway, let’s have dinner later. Ok? –JY

Kris smile, took out his phone and dialed Jiyoon’s number.

“Hello?” the girl on the other said sickly.

“Jiyoon-ah? Are you okay? Are you sick?” Kris concernedly replied.

“Oppa! I’m fine. I just have a cold.” She lied. “Congratulations oppa! I knew you’d make it this far!” She tried to sound enthusiastic.

“Thanks. Don’t go to work, ok? Get better first. Let’s also cancel dinner. You need to rest” he said.

“Ok, but let’s not cancel the dinner. I’ll be fine after some rest. I’ll meet you at the restaurant at 8pm” she reminded.

“Okay. Aigoo! There you go again, insisting! Have a lot of rest okay? I miss you. The office feels sad and empty without you here.”

“Really?” she sadly replied. “You should get used to it.”

“Why?” Kris curiously asked.

“Oppa, saranghae! You mean everything to me,” she said avoiding his question.

“Saranghaeyo Jiyoon-ah” he gladly replied.

 

They have been dating for only 11 months but it seemed like they’ve been together for many years. They know each other’s secrets, weaknesses and strengths. They depended on each other and couldn’t live a day without meeting. Both of them were so much in love that it seemed that nothing and no one could separate them.

Kris’ father refused at their relationship since the girl is not an heiress on another company, though she belongs to an elite family. His father wanted him to marry someone richer and someone who they could benefit from, but Kris kept on refusing. He wouldn’t leave the girl he loves just to make his father happy. He was almost disowned many time but his father had no choice because he is the only son.

 

That night…

Jiyoon came early. She wearing a pretty blue dress but it couldn’t cover her bad condition.

Kris came 10 minutes later. He can’t help but notice how pale his girlfriend is, “Are you sure you’re okay?” He felt very concerned.

“Yes,” she lied.

Kris was about to kiss her on the cheek but she avoided it then sat down. He was confused at the girl’s gesture.

They ate dinner while they both tried to make light and happy conversations. It worked out, they were both happy as they looked into each other’s eyes until Jiyoon’s expression changed to the most saddest face Kris’ had ever seen from her.

“Why?” he asked.

Jiyoon was already teary-eyed. “Oppa,” she, then, inhaled deeply and exhaled to calm herself and hold back her tears, “let’s break up.”

“Why?” he asked blankly.

“We can’t live like this,” she said.

“Like this? How?” His mind was becoming more and more blank as he felt the pain inside him like thousand knives stabbing his heart.

“Oppa, let’s face it. Your dad doesn’t like me and my parents don’t want me to be associated to you anymore. They said I’m just having a hard time” she replied coldly.

“I thought we won’t care at what they will say? Why did you suddenly change your mind? Did my dad do something to you?” Kris was already holding back his tears.

“No. That’s not it. I’m just…”  she hesitated for a moment, but she had no choice, “I’m tired of living like this. Each day that passes, little by little, I’m falling out of love for you.”

Kris couldn’t believe what he just heard, “You’re lying. Right? This is just one of your pranks, right? You really don’t mean that.” As he uttered each word, his tears kept on falling.

Jiyoon didn’t answer but she looked down.

Kris was already in so much pain. He stood up and held Jiyoon up from her shoulders to make her look at him, “Yah!!! Tell me it’s a lie! Tell me this is not happening! Tell me!” He was frustrated and mad.

“Oppa, I wish I can… but sorry” her tears fell. “I’m sorry, oppa!”

Kris let her go. “Why? Why did you do this to me? I hope you won’t regret it. I loved you so much. What more do you want?” He gave up and walked out of the restaurant. It was raining that night. He ran. He kept on running towards nowhere while his tears kept falling. He felt his world crumbling down. He wanted to die.

 

End of flashback

 

Kris didn’t notice that his tears were already falling as he remembered what happened in the past. He wiped his tears and said, “Why are these tears still falling? Pabo-ya!”

 

***END OF CHAPTER***

 

Hi readers. I’ve already finished Chapter 1. I hope you all liked it. Tell me what you think okay?

To the subscribers of my story, Life of an Idol, don’t think that because I made another story I’ll stop updating the other story. That’s not true okay? I’ll do my best on updating every week. So I hope you can wait. Bear with me okay.

I love you my very wonderful subies!