Change

Nine Days

 

Chapter 8: Change


“Sica,” a familiar voice called for her, “Are you awake?”

“Ow,” she rubbed her head in pain, “Where am I?”

 

She opened her eyes wider and saw that she was in a massive bed. Everything in the room was white except a man wearing a familiar black shirt. She tried to stand up but her legs had failed her. Her head was throbbing and as she lay under the duvet, she could feel herself burning up.

 

“How are you feeling?” Jaejoong came over to her with a wet towel, “Here.”

“What happened?” Jessica asked.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were ill?” Jaejoong asked as he placed the towel on her forehead.

“Why should I tell you anything at all? You aren’t anyone to me,” Jessica huffed, “Go play girlfriend with Miss Yuri.”

“Ah,” Jaejoong smiled, “Me thinks someone is jealous.”

“Jealous?” Jessica shrieked at those words, “Oh boy you do not know me well.”

“Well I’m just saying,” Jaejoong smirked.

“Well don’t say anything,” Jessica said angrily, “Where am I?”

“We are still at Im’s mansion. You suddenly collapsed and the doctor said we’ve gone down with a fever,” Jaejoong explained, “You have to eat the medicine and get well soon.”

“Thanks,” Jessica coldly said as she grabbed the medicine, “I’m fine now. I want to go home.”

 

Jessica opened the duvet and grabbed her things. Just then a pair of hands behind her grabbed her.

 

“Sica-yah,” Jaejoong pulled her into a hug, “Even if you are angry at me, please don’t ignore your health.”

 

Jessica stood there shocked. She felt angry but at the same time her heart was beating quickly. She freed herself from his hug and quickly ran down the stairs.

 

“Unni,” Seohyun cried out as she saw Jessica running down the stairs.

 

It just wasn’t her luck that day because the next thing that happened was she slipped down the stairs and twisted her ankle.

 

“Miss Jessica,” Yuri ran over to her, “Are you ok?”

“Ow,” Jessica rubbed her ankle, “It hurts.”

“Mianhae,” Yuri bit her lip, “I had just finished cleaning the stairs. It was wet. Mianhae.”

“You are so clumsy,” Jaejoong appeared behind her.

“Shut up,” Jessica hit her on the leg.

“Where were you going?” Yonghwa asked as he bought her to the sofa.

“She wants to go home Hyung,” Jaejoong explained.

“Why?” Yoona asked, “Just stay here until you get better. We have lots of extra rooms. Any friend of Yong oppa is a friend of ours.”

“Mianhae but I’d like to go home,” Jessica bowed her head and tried to stand up, “Ow.”

“Hyung, it’s nearly dark. I’ll bring her home,” Jaejoong nodded, “Thanks for the food.”

“Mianhae unni, I’ve got to meet Yonghwa oppa’s parents today,” Seohyun waved goodbye.

 

Jaejoong went over to Jessica and carried her bridal style. Jessica shrieked at his action and hits him on his shoulder. He didn’t let her down and soon afterwards they were already outside.

 

“Ugh,” Jessica hit her once more.

“Are you getting tired of hitting me?”  Jaejoong smiled.

“Why are you doing this to me?” Jessica sighed.

“What?” Jaejoong asked, “Why am I helping you?”

“Yes, why are you helping me?” Jessica asked.

“Because I remember a lady who gave a place for a man to stay when he ill,” he answered, “And then gave her more grief afterwards.”

“Well I didn’t ask for any of this,” Jessica replied.

“And he never even said thank you. He kept whining and boasting and gave her more grief,” Jaejoong looked at her, “I’m sorry.”

 

Silence came between them as he gazed deeply into her eyes and she bit her lips as she saw into his.

“So can I at least try to redeem myself?” Jaejoong smiled.

“What’s with the sudden change?” Jessica giggled, “One minute you were this mean person and next you’re the person who asks for forgiveness.”

“Nothing,” Jaejoong smiled as he carried her home.

 

________________

 

*Flashback*

 

“Oppa,” Yuri smiled, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Jaejoong flashed his smile.

“You should go back to the living room,” she nodded, “Your girlfriend might get angry.”

“Huh?” Jaejoong asked, “Ani, she’s not my girlfriend.”

“But the newspaper said,” she replied.

“It’s a long story actually,” he smiled, “Can I tell you a secret?”

“Neh,” Yuri smiled, “I’m good at keeping secrets.”

“She’s not my girlfriend,” Jaejoong smirked, “I’m only keeping close to her to win a bet.”

“What is the bet about?” Yuri asked.

“My friend said that I’m spoilt and can’t be independent,” Jaejoong explained, “So he said I can prove myself wrong if I disappear 9 days and come back looking like I came out.”

“So you plan to show him you’re independent by hanging around a poor girl like her?” Yuri asked, “That doesn’t make sense.”

“I thought about finding a rich friend to hang out for a while but the rules were I wasn’t allowed to contact any of my friends for help. Other than my friends I don’t know anyone else. So when I met Jessica she was the perfect target to hang onto.”

“But oppa,” Yuri asked, “She hasn’t got any money. How can she help you?”

“Um…” Jaejoong went silent after he was asked, “Well she does have friends and she has a job so she does make money. Don’t worry, after I get back my life I’ll pay her.”

“You’re weird,” Yuri giggled, “I thought you were trying to prove to yourself that you’re independent yet you’re hanging onto a girl who barely makes enough to support herself nevertheless you and telling everyone she’s you’re girlfriend so she won’t leave you?”

“Oh God, you’re making me sound like such a mean person,” Jaejoong scratched his head, “Am I?”

 

Just before she could answer Yoona’s head popped into the kitchen.

 

“Oppa,” Yoona cried out, “Sica-unni collapsed.”

“What happened?” Jaejoong asked worringly as she led them to the rrom.

“Ask the doctor,” Yonghwa smiled as he gestured for Jaejoong to enter the room.

“Excuse me,” Jaejoong politely bowed, “Is she ok doctor?”

“She’s fine, just a little fever,” the doctor explained, “She is overworking. What is your relation to her?”

“She’s my…my…my girlfriend,” Jaejoong stuttered.

“Well please tell her to stop doing heavy work. She is lacking important nutrients in her body. You need to feed her well,” the doctor replied, “She’s underweight.”

“Um…I will,” Jaejoong nodded as both of them went out the bedroom.

“What did the doctor say?” Seohyun quickly asked.

“She’s just a bit tired,” Jaejoong smiled, “She’ll be fine. I’ll take care of her. Don’t worry.”
“Thank you,” Seohyun smiled, “She has been overworking lately. The landlord kept calling us to pay the rent but we aren’t making enough. She also needs to send money to her family back in Busan.”

“Don’t worry,” Jaejoong nodded, “I’ll make sure she’s ok.”

 

________________

 

Jaejoong slipped off the rubber gloves from his hands after cleaning the dishes and slumped himself on the couch. He gave a big yawn and looked at his watch. The long hands pointed to 1 am. No wonder he was tired. He pulled himself up and went over to switch off the lights. The he headed back onto the couch to end the day.

 

Creak.

 

Jaejoong opened his eyes but didn’t move.

 

Creak.

 

There it was again. Jaejoong slowly sat on the couch in a curled up position and looked behind the couch. A small outline was seen carefully taking step by step towards the front door.

 

“Jessica!” Jaejoong thought to himself.

 

Creak.

 

The door opened and in swiftly the figure closed the door without a noise.