The Beginning

Nine Days

 

“Quickly,” he pulled her and ran towards the opposite direction.

“Wait,” Jessica was inevitably pulled by the mysterious man.

 

Both of them ran until they were out of sight. He pulled her into alley and wore his sunglasses.

 

“Excuse me,” Jessica whispered to him.

“What?” he said whilst inspecting his stain.

 “You’re still holding my hand,” Jessica pointed.

“Oh!” he quickly let go, “Sorry.”

“Actually I’m sorry,” Jessica smiled nervously.

“You should be,” he looked at her, “Do you know how much this shirt costs?”

“No,” she bent her head down, “I really am sorry.”

“It doesn’t matter,” he sighed and started to walk away, “People like you wouldn’t even know even if the price was screaming at you face.”

“Wait,” Jessica cried.

“What?” he glared into her eyes.

“Can I interview you?” Jessica smiled weakly, “I’ll even clean your shirt.”

“Humph,” he sighed, “I should be at a conference right now.”

“I am Jessica Jung from The Daily Zon,” Jessica handed him a card, “I’m the writer for the Smiling Zon section. I was meant to be interviewing you at the conference. I was late you see. That’s why I was running without looking. I was careless. I’m sorry. But I really need this story or else I’ll be fired.”

“What are you writing about?” he asked.

“It’s about your concert,” Jessica smiled, “Please?”

“Do you have a venue?” he asked.

“Yes,” Jessica smiled, “The perfect place!”

 

______________________________________________

 

A few hours later they arrived to a small place just outside of the city.

 

“This is the ‘perfect’ venue you were talking about?” he asked when they arrived.

“Well we needed to clean your shirt right?” Jessica smiled, “My house is perfect. I can even make you food and put your shirt in the wash. And I can interview you at the same time.”

“It’s a bit small,” he brushed the seat before sitting down.

“Take off your shirt,” Jessica ordered.

“What?” he looked at her not believing what she just asked him to do.

“Well I need to wash it right?” Jessica smiled, “You weren’t thinking of something else right?”

“Are you crazy?” he defended himself, “I just need a shirt to cover myself.”

“Here is a bunch of clothes I got from the Elle conference,” Jessica handed it over, “I need to take pictures of you as well.”

“Ah,” he looked at her, “You’re asking for too much now.”

“Please,” Jessica made her aegyo face.

“5 shots only,” he grunted in defeat.

“8,” Jessica bargained.

“6,” he replied.

“7,” she grinned.

“6 and a half,” he smiled.

“You can’t have a half picture,” Jessica giggled.

“Well 6 and a half or 6. You choose,” he smirked.

“Well I’ll just take the 6 then,” Jessica grabbed his shirt and went to the kitchen.

“Babo,” he whispered to himself.

“Would you like something to eat?”  Jessica asked.

“Just a drink please,” he said while slipping on a shirt from the pile.

“Here,” Jessica bought him plain water.

“Water?” he looked shocked, “You could’ve at least given me orange juice.”

“Sorry,” Jessica smiled, “I don’t have anything in the fridge now. I’m a bit low on stock.”

“You don’t even have orange juice?” he said in shock.

“No,” she smiled as she snapped pictures of him, “Can you pose or something?”

“No,” he smiled, “My poses costs.”

“Well that smile will do,” she smiled.

“Well get on with the interview,” he said.

“Oh yeah,” Jessica got up, “I nearly forgot!”

“Babo,” he said once more.

“Ahem,” Jessica cleared , “Well how do feel having finished your first concert?”

“Well I am very happy. It’s been a main goal since I started in the industry. The company is also very happy,” he smiled thinking about the concert, “Our wish has been fulfilled and the fans were very supportive.”

“What was the best part of the concert from your point of view,” Jessica asked.

“I think it was the encore when the cheers were the loudest,” he smiled.

 

_____________________________________________

 

The past hour went on like that. Jessica would ask questions and he would answer. They didn’t realize it but hours had passed.

 

“Here is your shirt,” Jessica handed over to him, “You can have that Elle shirt as well. I don’t wear male shirt.”

“Ew,” he looked at the Elle shirt, “It’s free.”

“It’s still clothes,” Jessica sighed at his childish behaviour.

“Keep it,” he smirked, “Try selling it on ebay. Then maybe you can buy some orange juice.”

“Cheeky,” Jessica said and took back the shirt.

“You should be thankful,” he sighed, “It’s not like you get to see a famous Hallyu star on your doorstep everyday.”

“Thank you,” Jessica bowed politely to him, “I’ll have that orange juice next time you come.”

“What a horrible thing to say!” he rolled his eyes, “You expect me to come again to this place?”

“Thank you,” Jessica pushed him to the door, “Bye.”

“How dare you slam the door on me!” he shouted and left.

____________________________________________

 

“Did you hear what happened at the conference?”  Gyuri nudged Jessica.

“I didn’t go,” Jessica said.

“You didn’t go?” Gyuri said in shock, “Are you trying to get yourself fired?”

“I got a better story,” Jessica said ignoring her work mate, “It’s nearly finished.”

“You are so done for,” Gyuri smirked, “Since it’s probably your last day here I’m going to offer you hot coffee.”

“Yes please,” Jessica nodded, “By the way thank you for the coffee earlier.”

“It was cold,” Gyuri said in disbelief, “You like cold coffee?”

“The cold coffee gave me my story,” Jessica smiled as she kept on typing.

 

The door suddenly flew open. As soon as the boss stepped in the whole room went silent. The air suddenly became cold and the day suddenly became dark. The boss looked around. Nobody dared to look at her. Their eyes were fixed on the ground. Only one noise was heard and that was the printer. The boss looked at the printer.

 

“Who’s printing?” her voice boomed through the corridors.

“Me,” Jessica lifted her hands and smiled.

“You,” the boss went over to her table, “Did you manage to get a story from the conference?”

“I didn’t go to the conference,” Jessica smiled.

“You didn’t go?” the boss tried to calm herself, “Do you know that was the biggest concert event this decade?”

“I didn’t go but I got my story,” Jessica smiled.

“If your story is not best concert of the decade worthy I will fire you with no doubt,” she grinned.

“Here,” Jessica handed the paper.

“The concert fulfilled my dream,” the boss read, “My one on one encounter with the main man himself.”

“You met Jaejoong?” Gyuri said shock.

“He was a nice man,” Jessica said whilst biting her lip, “Not to mention good looking.”

“He didn’t attend the conference today,” Gyuri said, “So does it mean he went to do a solo interview with you?”

“I guess,” Jessica shrugged, “I just asked him to do an interview and he said yes.”

“This girl is a genius,” the boss smiled, “I’m giving you a raise.”

“Thank you,” Jessica bowed as the boss left the room.

“You met Hero Jaejoong?” Gyuri asked Jessica as soon as the boss left, “Let me see that article.”

“He was quite a charming man,” Jessica giggled to herself.

“Hero Jaejoong, the new solo artists who is now the leader of the Hallyu wave, gives his thoughts on the recent concert in Seoul. He describes it as a lifetime accomplishment,” Gyuri read aloud, “The man himself who has kindly given time to have a chat with me voice out his inner feelings on the concert. It’s not just his face that’s easy on the eyes but also his melodic voice which is easy on the ears. Those 2 traits have earned him many fans of all ages.”

“Can I have that back now?” Jessica asked politely, “I’ve got to go shopping for orange juice.”

______________________________________________

 

“You gave out an interview for free?” Changmin asked in shock.

“My shirt was dirty,” he smiled, “She offered to wash it for me.”

“Why don’t you wash it yourself?” he said shaking his head, “You’re too spoilt.”

“Yah! I’m not spoilt,” Jaejoong banged on the table, “I just don’t wash my own shirt.”

 The maknae looked at him and grinned, “Oh I’m sorry. You’re more than spoilt.”

“Min!” Jaejoong sighed, “If I really wanted to I can wash my own clothes you know.”

“I know,” Changmin smiled, “But you don’t.”

“I can,” Jaejoong showed his aegyo.

“Fine fine,” Changmin laughed at the aegyo, “Prove to me that you can be independent.”

“Ok,” Jaejoong stood up, “How?”

“I want you to disappear from the face of the earth for 9 nine days,” Changmin smirked, “Don’t contact any of your close friends to borrow money. Give me your credit card and phone and come back looking just like you are now.”

“What does that prove,” Jaejoong asked.

“That you’re independent and not spoilt,” Changmin smirked, “Hand over your credit card.”

“But…” Jaejoong looked at the shining card.

“You don’t have to prove yourself,” Changmin smiled, “But that just means you’re a spoilt brat.”

“Here,” Jaejoong slammed it on the table.

 

He grabbed his coat and went out the door. The bet was on.