...Partners?

My Second Chance at Love

Jung hee’s POV

 

Ugh, cooking. The so called fact that girls like to cook was total bull in my case. I would be lucky if i didn’t burn down the entire school. I glanced down at the empty seat next to me and sighed. Why did it have to be a boy-girl seating arrangement? It might’ve benefitted the people with boyfriends and girlfriends, but it certainly didn’t work out for me. I mean, what guy would want to sit next to me?

 

I looked up and saw that most of the people had already found a desk partner. Would it make me look bad if I chose to sit alone. “Hi,” a voice came from behind me. I turned around to see Taeyang grinning at me. “Uhh..hi,” I stammered. “Is this seat taken?” he asked, gesturing to the chair next to me. “No,” I said, my loneliness turning into disbelief.

 

“Well now it is,” he said, sitting down. “Wonderful,” I muttered under my breath. “Of course it’s wonderful. You get to sit next to me,” he said. Vain and shallow. Just the guy every girl dreams about. I rolled my eyes in frustration and glared down at the table. “You don’t like me?” he asked, frowning. “No. You’re just so easy to get along with,” I said sarcastically.

 

He pondered on that for a second, and then said “Can we start over?” “I’d like that,” I said softly. He smiled, then held out his hand and said “I’m Taeyang. Nice to meet to you.” I shook his hand and said “Yoon Jung hee.” “Jung hee is a nice name,” I was surprised to hear him say. “Thanks,” was my blunt reply. “And you don’t have anything nice to say about my name?” he asked.

 

“Well, uh..” “It’s okay,” he cut me off. “I know you think my name’s perfect, just like me,” he said cheerfully. I sat there shell shocked. His mischievous smiling face shook me out of my coma. “That’s not what I was thin…” He put his finger to my lips, silencing me immediately. I glared at him in disbelief. “Shhh. You don’t need to deny it,” he said.

 

I was well aware that everyone in the class was now staring at us, which only added to my anger. He must’ve seen that I was beyond mad, because he removed his finger from my lips. Smart boy. Too bad for him that I was about to slap that stupid grin right off his face. Just as I was lifting my hand, the bell rang and the teacher walked in, which saved his almost sorry . He looked at my disappointed face, my hand that was poised to hit him, and laughed out loud. I glowered at him. He might be laughing now, but I would make sure that he would be crying later.

 

Taeyang’s POV

 

When I put my finger on her lips, (why I did it, I don’t know. My hand has a mind of its own) Jung hee turned redder that I thought was possible. I busted up so hard that it drew attention to us. Suddenly, there were twenty pairs of eyes on us. Big mistake. The phrase “if looks could kill” wasn’t really a figure of speech with Jung hee.

 

Guessing that I would probably lose my finger if it stayed on her lips for a second longer, I quickly withdrew it and put my hands up in a mock surrender. I knew she was gonna let me have it, but the bell rang, disrupting what most likely would have resulted in my death. I turned my body to face the teacher, and I saw that she was recovering from almost slapping me and doing the same thing.

 

As the teacher started talking, I spaced out and my thoughts obviously went to Ga Eun. I was seriously a guy with too much time. I was just starting to create a little fantasy about us when my daydreams were interrupted by… a pair of gloves and an apron. I looked at Jung hee. “What’s going on?” I asked.

 

“Were’nt you paying attention?” Jung hee asked coldly. Apparently somebody was mad about a recent incident. “Uh.. let me think. Uhh...of course I wasn’t paying attention! Why do you think I asked you?” I asked sarcastically, which was probably uncalled for, but it was fun to make her mad. “Well, Mr. I’m too cool to pay attention in class, we’re in cooking class, so what do you think we’re going to do?” she asked.

 

I shrugged. “We have to make something  using the mystery ingredients that she gives us,” Jung hee said. “Do we work by ourselves or partners?” I asked. “Partners,” she said, wrinkling her nose at me. I winked at her. “Lucky you then,” I smirked. She shook her head and grabbed her apron. I knew she was trying to ignore me, but I couldn’t ignore her, especially when she was having trouble tying her apron.

 

She attempted multiple times to loop the two strings together, but failed. So, I pushed her hands away and tied it for her. “Thanks,” she said without looking at me. We watched as Ms. Yeong (I finally discovered her name after ten minutes of the class) reached into a basket and pulled out a strawberries, a can of chocolate cream, and…. a bag of ramen? “You have twenty minutes to make a dessert of your choice. You may begin.” With that said, the whole class rushed to create a dessert that would wow Ms Yeong.

 

Jung hee’s POV


As soon as I heard Ms. Yeong allow us to begin, I rushed into action because my partner (who shall not be named, but if you look up the word “vain” in the dictionary, his name would be under there) just sat there and stared at the ingredients. I was going to get a knife, but a sturdy hand caught my arm. “What now?” I asked. “We need to make a dessert, right?” he asked. I looked at him.

This guy had serious attention span problems. “Yes Taeyang,” I exaggerated my words slowly. “Well, then why don’t we make chocolate covered strawberries?” he asked. I thought about it for a moment. “That’s not a bad idea, but what would we do with the ramen?” I asked. “We could…. crush it up and sprinkle it on the chocolate,” he suggested. “That...could...work,” I said, shocked that he had came up with an idea.

Maybe this guy wasn’t as stupid as I thought. “Okay. Umm… what do I do?” he asked. Okay, I take back my first comment. “It was your idea Einstein,” I said, laughing in my head. “I’m no cook,” he said in defense. “Neither am I , but I have some common sense,” I said. “Hey! I do too,” he complained. “Okay,okay. We’re wasting time. Just grab knife and start spreading the chocolate cream onto the strawberries,” I instructed.

He nodded and went to the counter where a bunch of utensils laid. I had to urge to go over there to make sure that he picked out the right utensil, but I knew he wasn’t that dense (hopefully) so I started crushing the ramen. He came back with a knife and started spreading the chocolate. It was right there and then when I regretted my choice to let him spread it.

”It looks like a kindergartener made this!” I exclaimed. “Not like you can do any better!” he said. “Oh yeah?” I grabbed the knife and started spreading the chocolate. “There. At least it looks appetizing,” I said, pointing to the three chocolate covered strawberries that were lying on the plate. “Hand me the ramen,” I said. He gave it to me, I sprinkled some on each strawberry.

“Voila! What do you think?” I asked. “Nice,” he smiled. I smiled back. I forgot that when he wasn’t being a jerk, he was a decent person to talk to. “Time is up,” Ms. Yeong announced. Taeyang and I nodded at each other, and we turned in our plate together.