The First Date

My Second Chance at Love

Taeyang’s POV

“Wedding dress.” I looked into her eyes to see if I could find any hint of emotion that she wouldn’t say aloud. Her eyelashes blocked my view as she looked down at her lap. “What’s it about?” she mumbled so quietly that I almost thought she was talking to her lap.  I grimaced. Could I tell her the truth? Could I tell her the song was about cherry blossom scented perfume, a special 16th birthday kiss, a horrible breakup? I wanted to, but I couldn’t. So I lied

 

“It’s about a love story that can never happen.” Okay, so maybe it wasn’t a complete lie. It was quiet for a minute, then she said “I should go.” I grabbed her hand just as she was getting up. She looked at me in surprise. “Don’t go. Why don’t you stay for dinner?” I said before I could even process what I was saying. Her surprise turned into skepticism. “Sure,” she said, but she didn’t sound sure. I sighed. I didn’t mean to upset her.

 

Junghee must’ve seen the disappointment on my face, because her guarded expression softened and she said “Thanks. Really.” She didn’t sound like she was lying, so I let go of her hand that I had unconsciously been holding onto. She blushed, and I found myself staring again. The pink did wonders to her face. It made her prettier than she already was. I watched as her hands drifted toward the piano hesitantly.

 

“Do you play?” I asked. “No, but I always wanted to,” she said. “I can teach you,” I offered. She placed her hands lightly on the keys. I placed my arms around her and grabbed both of her hands. Gently, I moved her fingers across the keys, I didn’t even realize I had began playing my song until she started humming it. She turned around, forcing our faces to be only inches apart. I found myself slowly moving closer to her until our foreheads were almost touching.

 

As I was about to lean in closer, I heard the door open and a voice yell “Taeyang!” Junghee released her breath and backed away from me. I sighed in annoyance and led her out of my room. “Taeyang, you would not believe what happened at school today. Minhyuk asked……” my sister Minji stopped short as soon as she saw Junghee. Minji raised an eyebrow. “Who’s she?” I grit my teeth together. I had totally forgotten about Minji! Tonight was going to be more complicated than I thought.

 

“I’m Yoon Junghee,” Junghee said quietly. Minji crossed her arms and scrutinized us. Just as she was about to say something that would make things even more tense, my mother walked in. “Taeyan……” just like Minji, my mother’s sentence was cut short at the sight of Junghee. I knew why they were both shocked though. I hadn’t brought a girl home since…..well, Ga Eun. My mother cleared . “I’m Dong Su Jung.” Junghee smile. “I’m Yoon Junghee. It’s really nice to meet you.”

 

Minji shot me a look before I said “Uh, mom. Um, Junghee’s is going to be joining us for dinner.” “If that’s okay with you,” Junghee added quickly. She sounded really nervous. I felt bad for putting so much pressure on her. “Of course it’s alright. Friends are always allowed.” I noticed how my mom’s eyebrows knitted at the word “friends”. “Great, then I’ll get the table ready,” I said joyfully. Junghee followed me to the dining room. “I don’t think your sister likes me,” she whispered frightenedly.

 

I rolled my eyes. “I wouldn’t worry about it. Minji doesn’t like anyone. It’s a miracle she even has friends,” I laughed. Junghee didn’t laugh. I inhaled exasperatedly. “ You look like you’re going to pass out any minute from fear. My mom and sister won’t bite,” I half joked. She glared at me and looked like she was going to say something, but my mom walked in. “Alrighty, dinner is ready,” she said and set down the food. Junghee slowly sat down and I sat next to her. Minji and my mother sat on the other side of the table. My mother smiled. “Junghee, we have lots to talk about.”

 

Junghee’s POV

“Junghee, we have lots to talk about.” I gulped nervously. “Do you like school?” his mother  asked. “Yes.” I almost shouted with relief. This wouldn’t be too difficult. Of course, I spoke too soon. “Junghee dear, do you like my Taeyang?” she asked. I gripped the sides of the chair. Did I? I didn’t even know.

 

Taeyang looked like he wanted the floor to swallow him up, and I felt the exact same way. It was quiet for a minute. Then Taeyang’s sister stood up. “Listen to me Junghee,” she said my name sarcastically. “Taeyang is way too good for you and could never like somebody like you, so I think you should just stop messing with both him and yourself,” she said bitingly. Nobody said anything. I felt like crying, not only because I was embarrassed, but because what she said was true. Taeyang could never like a dork like me.

 

“Minji! Apologize right now!” her mother said angrily. She rolled her eyes and walked away. Taeyang turned around, his eyes wide with shock. “I’m sorry,” he could barely whisper. I blinked back my tears but I couldn’t stop the first few tears from sliding down my face. Forcing a small smile, I said “Thank you Ms. Dong for dinner. I think I should leave now.” Then, without looking at Taeyang, I rushed out.

 

Taeyang’s POV

My mother and I sat very still at the dining table after Junghee left. My shock was replaced by guilt and then anger. “Minji!” I yelled. She walked into the dining room, her arms crossed. “What the hell was that?!” I thundered. She winced. She wasn’t used to me yelling. “You really hurt her, do you know that?!” I shouted. She looked at me like I was crazy. “You never learn your lesson, do you?” she asked. Now I was confused.

 

“What are you talking about?” I asked. “Remember what happened with Ga Eun? Because I do,” she said. I froze. “Remember how you brought her home and played the piano for her, then invited her to dinner, then sang for her….” “Stop,” I whispered weakly, but she didn’t. “Then you kissed her and sent her flowers, and look what happened. She never loved you,” Minji said mercilessly. I slammed the glass cup onto the floor and it shattered into a dozen pieces. “That’s enough!” my mother shouted. I grit my teeth together in frustration and stomped out of the room.

 

Junghee’s POV

I couldn’t believe the night had went by so quickly and yet so horribly. Now here I was, in front of my locker, worried about when I would have to face Taeyang. I thought about what Minji had said. Taeyang is way too good for you and could never like somebody like you. I turned around and almost ran right into Ga Eun.

 

She smiled her y smile. “So, I heard that you went to Taeyang’s house, right?” she asked slyly. My throat went dry. How did she know? “No.” I lied. ‘It’s fine. Let me guess. He played the piano for you, then invited you to dinner, then his little sister ed you right?” she said with a cruel smile. “Don’t feel like you mean anything special to him because you don’t okay? He’s just messing around with you to make ME jealous. Can’t you tell?” she said.

 

Then, just like last night, I was trying to hold my tears back once more. Ga Eun scoffed. “I knew it. You didn’t know. Well, I should’ve guessed you wouldn’t. Girls like you just love attention,” she said. Hypocrite I thought to myself. She was probably going to say more, but her boyfriend Jinho came up from behind her and grabbed her around the waist. “What’s going on here?” he drawled sarcastically. “Just giving girl advice to Junghee,but she obviously has it under control, so let’s go,” Ga Eun said with her fake sugary voice. They left, which finally gave me a second to breathe.

 

“Hey,” Taeyang said in a soft voice. My mind clouded even more with images of last night. “Hi,” I whispered back quickly and tried to get away. “Wait stop.” He grabbed my arm, but I shook off his grasp. He ran in front of me. “Look, I’m really really sorry. I didn’t plan for any of that to happen.” I thought about what Ga Eun had just told me. “So what? I’m just your TOY right?” I asked angrily. “What?! No!” he shouted. I shook my head. “Never mind. Just…..I gotta get to class,” I said and tried to shove past hiim, but he wouldn’t let me. “Look, I want to make it up to you for last night, so how about I take you on a date?” he asked.

 

I glared at him. “Are you seriously asking me that now after everything that happened?” I asked. “Yes,” he said. I rolled my eyes. “Please,” he pleaded with his eyes. I felt my willpower crumbling. “If I DID say yes, where would we go?” I grumbled. He smiled widely. “To the movies,” he said. “That’s so cliche,” I half joked, my anger gone. “It is?” he asked cluelessly. He was so stupid sometimes. “Fine,” I said. “You’ll go?” he asked, his eyes shining. “I said I would, didn’t I?” I said. “Alright, I’ll meet you in the front gate after school,” he said, and disappeared into the crowd.

 

Taeyang’s POV

Yes! I couldn’t believe that she had actually agreed. My head was spinning from happiness. I dashed down the hall and into my first period class. Even Ga Eun and Jinho couldn’t damper my spirits. Why was that? Did I like LIKE Junghee? No I told myself. I was just happy that I was going to the movies with a friend. Right? Time seemed to move so quickly until school was over. I waited excitedly at the front gate. After five minutes, I started getting worried. Was she okay? Or had she decided she didn’t want to come after all?

 

All these negative thoughts were swirling in my head until I finally saw her walking up the stairs. I jogged towards her. I opened my mouth to ask her what took so long, but she beat me to it. “I got detention,” she huffed. I looked at her with mock suspicion. “What? I did!” she said. I laughed. “Okay, let’s go.” I grabbed her hand and led her towards the theaters. “Why are you holding my hand?” she stammered. Good question. I sighed. “Because we’re going out on a date,” I made up a decent excuse. “It’s not really a date,” she countered. “You’re spoiling the moment,” I muttered. “Okay fine, I’ll be quiet,” she said, and we walked in silence until we got to the movie theaters.

 

I bought our tickets once we were inside and met her at the concession stands. “Here, I’ll pay for the popcorn,” I said and dug out my wallet once again. “Oh, a real gentleman huh?” she teased. We walked into the theater rooms and got our seats. I started eating the popcorn, but she swatted my hand. “At the rate you’re eating, we aren’t going to have anything left by the time the movie starts,” she whispered. I sat boredly until a couple walked passed me and sat in the two seats next to me. They started making out, which annoyed me, so I looked to my right and tapped the guy on the shoulder. He turned around, and I almost stopped breathing. It was Jinho, but the girl he was making out with was not Ga Eun.