The First Day

My Second Chance at Love

Taeyang’s POV

 

“Taeyang! Taeyang!” my mom pounded on my room door. “What?!” I moaned, shoving my head into my pillow. “Get up! You’re going to be late for school!” “Okay, okay. Give me a minute,” I called. “Okay, but if you’re late….” “I got it mom!” I half shouted. I could hear her hesitate and then go down the stairs. I shouldn’t have taken my frustration about school out on her. Sighing, I got out of bed and brushed my teeth.

 

Once I was done dressing, I ran downstairs to a sweet egg sandwich; my traditional morning breakfast food. I ate it quickly and ran out the door. It was warm today with a small breeze. My school wasn’t far from my house; only a few blocks away. I continued down the street until I came face to face with my new enemy: Seoul High School. I walked onto the path that led me into the school.

 

As I pushed the door open, I was greeted with a familiar scene: lockers, people running around, papers everywhere. The minute I stepped in, I realized I had another problem: I didn’t know where the office was. Damn it. I was going to have to ask someone. “Hi!” a girl popped right into view. I staggered back and glared at her. Where had she come from? “You must be new. I’m Eun Hee. Nice to meet you,” she said, giving me the googly eyes that I was already so used to. “Yeah, whatever. You know where the office is?” I asked coldly.

 

She backed away immediately, just as she should. “Uhh… down the hall and to the left,” she said timidly, her enthusiasm all gone. I nodded and continued toward the office. The walk to the office felt longer than the three blocks to school. I got a lot of looks and glances. I ignored them and hurriedly entered the office. Behind the front desk was a woman wearing a lot of makeup. “Uh, excuse me,” I said. She looked up and smiled. “How can I help you?” “I’m Taeyang. I came to pick up my schedule,” I answered. “Oh, you must be the new student. Welcome to Seoul High School. Give me just a moment,” she got up and rummaged through a cabinet until she came up with a sheet of paper. “Here you go. I’ll have our school president and vice president come give you a tour in a second,” she said. “Thanks,” I said, taking my schedule.  It read :

          

  Period 1: Language- Rm 201

            Period 2: Math -Rm 100

            Period 3: Economics- Rm 407

            Period 4: Drama - Rm 405 (and theater)

            Period 5: Cooking- Rm 303

            Period 6: Chemistry- Rm 208

 

Whoever had picked my electives obviously was a woman. What kind of guy gives another guy cooking, economics, and on top of everything, drama?! This was going to be even worse than I thought. I heard the bell ring, and I knew I was in for a ride. Opening the door, I almost ran into the mob of people that were rushing to class. I looked down at my sheet. Class 201. Where was 201? The classroom next to the office was 101… I really didn’t want to have to ask someone where it was, but at this point, I was going to be late for class, so I interrupted a guy passing by and asked “Do you know where room 201 is?” “Yeah. I actually have that class right now. Follow me.” He guided me through the crowd and and lead me up a staircase. We kept going down the hall of the upstairs building until we finally reached 201.

 

“Here you go,” he said. “Thanks,” I muttered. We both walked in and found the room to be already full. “Just find an empty seat. The teachers here don’t care where you sit,” he said. I scanned the room for any available seats until I spotted one towards the corner. Careful not to draw attention to myself, I walked around the edge of all the desks and slid into my seat. In front of me, a brunette girl with her back toward me and guy were making out. Irritated, I tapped on her shoulder and asked “Do you mind?” She turned around, and I turned into a statue. “Taeyang?” the girl with the familiar cherry blossom scent asks. “....... Ga Eun?”