Chapter Eight

What happened?

               “So, what happened back there?” The instant the younger asked, Dara’s mind went blank.

               “Unnie, what are you talking about?” Minzy looked from Chae-rin to Dara and back. Without a response, she sighed and looked to the only other person in the room. “Do you know what’s going on?”

               “No, I thought we were going to watch a movie but I guess not.” Bom plopped onto the couch and sighed. “I guess we’re going to have a ‘talk’ instead. Too bad I really wanted to hang out with you guys. We don’t get to do that often.”

               “Unnie, you need to start talking.” At this point Minzy had sat down on the other side of the couch and Chae-rin was in between the two.

               Dara was sitting in an armchair across from the three. An interrogation, a council, a courtroom, the three had no correlation with each other or with the girls in front of her. However, Dara felt like she was in an interrogation room, in front of a council, in front of the judge, jury, and executioner. She hated this sensation and feeling of fear. Her friends were going to judge and hate her. She didn’t want them to think differently of her.

               “Sandara,” full name. This was getting serious. “You need to tell us what happened to you today.”

               “Nothing happened.”

               “Then why was Seungri about to cry, why was he hugging you?” As Chae-rin spoke, the other two girls in the room turned to her.

               “Did that really happen, Unnie?” Dara looked over at Park Bom. Her face was contorted in confusion and shock.

               “What’s going on Unnie? Won’t you tell us?” She looked over at Minzy. The youngest usually had the most sense and understanding of the three. Though the other two were kind and compassionate, they were prone to overreacting, and that was not something she wanted at the moment.

                “He told me,” she attempted to gain some composure, some sort of control. Alas, it was impossible; instead she hung her head and continued. “He told me that he would leave me alone.”

               “Why? Has he been bothering you? I am going to kill him!” Chae-rin roared. As she was about to get up, Minzy raised her arm to stop her from running to find the closest blunt object.

               “Why would he have to do that?” Minzy asked, eyes never wavering from the hunched figure in front of her, voice steady and calm.  

               Dara’s eyes began to water.

               “Because he’s a ing maniac! He probably wants to hook her up with one of his weird friends! He’s a -” Minzy glared at the raging Chae-rin. When the she quieted down, Minzy looked back at the woman in front of her.

               “Unnie?”

               Dara’s tears finally fell. She couldn’t handle it anymore. It had finally gotten to her. She let out a sob and the three looked at her.

               “UNNIE!” Bom fell to Dara’s side to rub her back in an endeavor to calm her down.

                “He said that he was going to leave me alone, that he wasn’t going to try anymore. What does that even mean?” She clung to Park Bom as she cried.  

               “I am going to call that son of a and let him know to stay the away from you!” Chae-rin pulled out her phone and dialed.

               “What are you doing?” Dara sniffled, but refused to let go of the only one of the three that ran to her side.

               “I told you what I’m doing! I’m calling the mother er!”

               “No! Chae-rin stop!” she reached over to prevent the younger from doing anything regrettable. Before she could do anything the other held out her foot, affectively thwarting her from ending the call.  The phone continued to ring. As her patients dwindled to an end, Chae-rin heard a click indicating someone answered.

               “Yah! What the did you do to Dara! If you come near her, I am going to chop off your-”

               “Hello to you too Chae-rin.” The voice was much deeper than that of the subject of her anger.

               “Huh?” She looked back at her phone, double checking that she called the correct person.  “Yah! Where is LEE Seung- Hyun?”

 

               “He-”

               “ it! Tell that punk to stay away from Dara!” Dara couldn’t believe what she was hearing. She tried to reach for the phone. Chae-rin stretched herself onto the couch in order to keep her a legs length away. 

               “What happened?”

               “Just tell me where the the other Seung-Hyun is so that I can punch him in the face! Where does he get the nerve to make her cry?! Does he think we aren’t going to react?! Where is he?”

               “Did she say he made her cry? Maybe she was already crying and he was trying to comfort her. I mean he’s not the most comforting sensable person, maybe he accidently made it-”

               “Just tell him to stay the away from her! We don’t need him messing things up!” Dara was unable to listen to her continue to berate the man she cared so much for. She ran to one of the bedrooms. “See, just talking about him upsets her. Tell him if he comes near one of us I am going to murder him.”

               “Chae-rin, maybe you should talk to Dara about what happened.”

               “I saw what happened! He made her cry!” The two other girls stood in the room, uncomfortable and unaware of what they should do.

                “Ask her what he said. I think you-”

               “Don’t tell me what to do! I’m going to tear that son of a –”

               “CHAE-RIN!” she stayed silent after hearing the manifested frustration on the other line. “I’m going to tell you something and I need you to know that not that many people know about this, but I need you to stay calm. Okay?” she nodded.

               “Okay? Hello?”

               “Ne,” she responded after mentally cursing herself for thinking he could see her nod. The other two girls were now huddled closer to the phone in an attempt to hear whatever was being said. An audible sigh was heard.

               “Okay, Dara is crying because Seungri said he was going to leave her alone. He let her go.” Chae-rin blinked and looked at the other two before responding.

               “She told us that. But after he made her cry? We don’t know what he did, but if he feels that they can’t even talk to each other he did something bad. If he ever makes her cry I am going to go after all of you and I-”

              “Chae-rin.” His voice was stern and unwavering. She silenced herself once again. “He told her he would leave her alone because he has been calling and messaging her for the past three weeks. He’s giving up on them.”

               “What do you mean them?” Chae-rin’s heart began to race as it pumped the boiling blood through her veins, she was expecting the worst.

               “She didn’t tell you guys? Well, I shouldn’t be surprised. He didn’t tell us. Chae-rin, Dara and Seungri were dating for almost a year.”

                Chae-rin snapped. The other two heard the conversation and gasped. In those few moments Chae-rin dropped the phone and ran to the room Dara was in. The two followed, an ominous auro emanating from the leader. She quickly opened the door, shocking the crying woman.

               “You were dating SEUNGRI?!” the other sat up and held a pillow to her chest. Sniffles and hiccups was the only answer she could offer. Anger and frustration raged through Chae-rin’s veins. “Dara, how could you not tell us?! We are a team! We need to know these things about each other!”

              “Stop! Just stop!” the other three stared at her in shock. She paused to calm her breathing. “He left me. We aren’t dating. I thought we were going to work it out! Didn’t you see? He was being really nice and laughing. I thought he wanted to start over. But he’s done with me!” her sobbing and hiccupping continued throughout her retort.  She hung her head and allowed her sobs to echo through the room.

               “You betrayed us!” Chae-rin hissed at her. “I can’t believe you were willing to put us all at risk!”

               “Risk of what?! What is the worst that could happen if I date someone huh?” Dara flung the pillow she held onto at the three before her. “I hate this! Why does it matter! It doesn’t matter! I should be able to like whoever! It shouldn’t matter if I tell you guys or not!”

               Chae-rin was fuming. She picked up the pillow and threw it at the bawling women before her.

               “Shouldn’t matter? Shouldn’t matter! How dare you!” She inched towards Dara. Before she could do anything lamentable, Minzy stepped between the two.

               “You need to calm down. Now”

               “No! She needs to understand that-”

                “We need to talk. Now!” The youngest pulled the other out of the room, leaving Bom to handle a distraught Dara.

               Her face was streaked with tears and smeared with make-up. She continued to wail and Bom was rendered speechless. What was she supposed to do? She had never found herself in this type of situation. She sat on the bed and allowed the elder to place her head on her lap as she ran her fingers through her hair.

               “I don’t mind if you want to date Seungri.” Dara looked up at Bom. She gazed absently straight ahead, continuing to pet her. This made her feel worse. Had she told friends before this, they may not have been so upset. She may never have been put in this predicament. Dara cried even more.

               Bom didn’t intend to make her cry more. She thought she was making her feel better. How do you make people stop crying and feel better? She usually ate but she was under the impression that this would not work for the grief-stricken Dara.

               “I like Lee Jun Ho!” Park Bom stated quickly, hoping that this would calm Dara down.

               This only confused the blubbering mess in front of her. She began to let out a slight chuckle.

               “What the heck are you talking about?”

               “I don’t know, I just thought that you were self-conscience because of his age. I thought if I told you I like someone his age you wouldn’t feel as bad. I was just trying to help. Okay so I don’t like Lee Jun Ho. He looks like Rain and I think it’s weird. I’m sorry I lied. Actually, I like Choi Seung Hyun. I guess he’s younger, but it’s not the same. Lee Min Ho is attractive too but I mean he’s still only a little younger than us. Gosh I am so bad at this. I thought I was helping. I’m sorry. I-”

               “Bom” Somehow, even though she was supposed to be comforted, Dara found herself comforting someone else. She sat up and took Bom’s hands in hers. “It’s fine. I’m okay. I’m just a little upset that we didn’t work out.”

                She sniffled as she wiped her face. “See, I’m fine.”

               “No you’re not.” Bom sprinted out of the room and returned out of breath, with a tub of ice cream and two spoons. She positioned herself across the bed and pulled a blanket over the both of them. As she opened the tub and handed Dara one of the spoons she decided to initiate a conversation with the elder.

               “So, how’d you guys start dating?”

               “Mint and Chip? Don’t we have any regular chocolate or chocolate chip brownie, double chocolate fudge? I just want chocolate!”

               “Dara?”

               “Hmm?” She blinked back at Bom.

               “How did you guys start dating?” She sniffled before responding.

               “Umm, the stories he told today, those were all about us. I started asking him to set me up on a date with someone. I was going to go on a date with Lee Dong Hae. But he never contacted me. Seung Hyun felt bad that the date he set me up on didn’t work out. So he took me out for dinner. Then we went to the Hongdae River. We talked for hours and I ended up falling asleep at the river so he brought me home. It was nice. That was our first date.” She looked at the empty ice cream tub and sighed. She wanted to cry some more.

               “You know what would go good with this? A movie” Bom reached under the bed and pulled out her laptop. She meticulously tapped away at her computer keys before leaving the room and returning with a second tub of ice cream and popcorn. Though she wanted to cry, she also wanted to know where Bom was able to get so much food in so little time. “Come on unnie, let’s watch the movie.”

               Dara didn’t care about the movie at all, but she watched it. Enduring the movie was a distraction for the pain she felt. She had cried over the younger male before, but she thought they could work it out. Now, there was no chance. She couldn’t shake the feelings of hopelessness and helplessness. She couldn’t feel anything. Despondent and full of ice cream, Dara fell asleep halfway through the movie.

 

 

 

 

 

               “What do you think you were doing in there?” Minzy had pulled the other into a different bedroom.

               “She lied to us and put us at risk! She needs to be reprimanded!” Chae-rin glared at the younger. She tried to leave the room only to be stopped by the brick wall that is Gong Minzy.

               “First off she didn’t lie to us. She is under no obligation to tell us anything. Sure she should have told us but she didn’t and that’s too bad. But that’s not why you’re mad.”

               “What are you talking about? Of course it is! As the leader-”

               “Will you shut up! There is no camera here! Just admit why you’re mad so that you can move on and we can all help her.”

               “What are you talking about?” Minzy scowled at her leader. She arched and eyebrow when she received no response.

              “Unnie, did you really think that no one was going to be able to tell?” Chae-rin’s eyes widened as understanding hit her. She quickly turned away from the other.

               “How long have you known?”

               “A while now, but that doesn’t really matter. Are you going to be okay?” Minzy placed her hand on the other’s shoulder, seeking to console her friend. Chae-rin quickly turned to push her hand away.

                “No I’m not okay. She is too good for him! Do you know how it feels, knowing that she loves him? That right now, she is in that room suffering because of him? That no matter what she won’t see me the way I see her?” breathless, Chae-rin sighed and hung her head. “That she will never love me the way I love her?”

                Minzy gazed upon a broken Chae-rin. She knew that the other had a strong affection for Sandara, but she thought it to be more of a high school crush. But she loved her? Love? She would be dealing with two devastated girls, one of them pining for the other.

                “Come on unnie” Minzy sat next to her leader and allowed her to rest her head on her shoulder. “Let it out.”

                She cried. She let her tears fall as she thought of the woman in the other room. Her make-up streaked her face as she clung to the younger. Her body began to tire and her eyed began to close. Minzy laid her down and held her through the night.

               No one slept well that night. 

 

 

 

 

Hi Guys! Sorry for the long wait. I had exams, and I have more this week too. :'(  So it might be a while before the next chapter goes up. And sorry for how it turned out. It's 3:00 am here and I'm sleepy but I wanted to post this. Also I'm over writing sad Dara stuff, so look forward to less sad times. So what do you guys think? Tell me, tell me, tell me. I like reading your comments! ^^