Lyrical

The Last Duet

At first, I thought Sehun didn’t care much because maybe he thought he had a chance with Kana if she ended it with Luhan. But that all changed when we left.

I shoved open the door of his car and marched up to my complex. “What the hell, Sehun?!” I burst when he stopped before the entrance of my apartment building.

He was only steps behind me, probably expecting to calm me down and listen to my rant after entering my apartment. But that was far from what I had in mind, alright. “What?” he questioned with a look of complete bewilderment.

Was he seriously questioning the meaning behind my question? “Why aren’t you mad at Luhan at all? Don’t you care about their disintegrating relationship?” I ranted without even thinking about the consequences of my words or the effects they had. “Wait, of course you don’t care.”

Sehun narrowed his eyes at me, an action that he always did when he became irritated or enraged. “What are you saying, Jen?!”

“Oh, you’re probably just waiting for their relationship to end, because-”

His features darkened a significant few shades, and he inched closer to me, basically towering over my entire body. Sehun didn’t even let me finish my accusation before he chillingly asked “Because what?” in a bitter, low tone.

“Because you obviously like her.”

Sehun scoffed disbelievingly, leaving me furrowing my eyebrows in complete perplexity. “You really think that?”

“I-”

“You really think that low of me?”

I suddenly was at a total loss of words. I didn’t know how to respond to his cold tone that harbored a fraction of hurt. The radiating confidence and undoubtedness that I possessed just moments ago dissipated in a mere matter of seconds as Sehun’s expression became dangerously distant and hostile. “Sehun-”

He harshly grabbed my arms and placed his face mere inches from mine. I felt his cold breath on my lips, which trembled in fear of Sehun’s cold figure. I never saw Sehun this way. Was he angry? Was he hurt? I couldn’t even tell by the mixed emotions he showcased on his flawless face. “You really think I like Kana?”

“Yeah, don’t y-” And he grimly released his grip on me, causing me to fumble two steps backwards. He deftly returned to his car and drove away without another glance back.

What did that mean? Was he mad at me for thinking so lowly of him – for thinking that he would take advantage of his best friends’ relationship? Was he hurt that I assumed he was only so?

Sehun stopped coming to practice – perhaps he didn’t even want to see my face anymore. And I should have been relieved, no? I should have, because his avoidance saved me the awkwardness of facing the aftermath of our argument. I should have, because I no longer understood his motives or thoughts.

Yet all I felt was a sense of soreness in my chest – a sense of desolation.

Should I apologize to Sehun? But for what? He did not even deny my accusations, so I technically had no reason to admit my unsaid wrongs. It was unclear what he meant that night, and I had no way of finding out.

Of course, unless, he told me.