Working Woman

Dreams
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            Yes, being a barista was a pain in the . Yes, you hated the snobby girls who would giggle at their phones and gossip nonstop. Yes, you enjoyed the quiet moments when only the respectful businesspeople would come and take a break at the shop.
            No, you did not like that your work was so close to the S.M building. At first, you tried to ignore the help wanted sign in the window, telling yourself that it was too close for comfort to the place your ex worked and thrived.
            Eventually, the desperation for a new job helped you overlook the fear of seeing him. Even if there were posters on the outside windows of the shop or his band, even when fangirls flocked in here after trying to catch a glimpse of them, you willed yourself to act as if none of it was real.
            For the sake of your son, and money, you had to fight the utter hate for everything to help you keep the job. A snarky attitude wasn’t permitted to paying customers, as your boss had clearly told you. Working the counter with two other people, one guy and another woman, was stressful. The woman was younger than you, always sending sickly sweet insults your way. You want to eat a donut for lunch? “You shouldn’t eat that – especially when your pregnancy fat is still noticeable.” You need to go pee? “Wow, so irresponsible, trying to get out of work.” She was a pain and you disliked her. A lot. Hell, you disliked her so much, you didn’t even bother to learn her name.
            The other worker, a man named Taejong, was honestly enjoyable. He was a hopeless romantic, always nervously shaking when he flirted with you. Yes, he was a bit dull, but that’s what made him endearing. He was one of the few men you had interacted since having your baby. He made you feel a bit better about yourself, happy that you still had that attractive charm. Yes, you enjoyed his overall presence and his manly look, but he wasn’t your type. He was all brawn, no brain. He did have an anger problem, but only when he was provoked. That was kind of a turn off for you.
            The chime went off as you entered the cozy café, your eyes sparking with rivalry with your female coworker. She was leaning against the counter, eyes narrowed in distaste at your arrival. She had her phone in hand, clearly upset that your entrance had brought her from whatever she was doing. You could care less. Pain on her part made you feel powerful, especially when you had a hand in it.
            “Good morning, [y/n]!” The deep voice of Taejong yelled as his head popped up from the bottom of the counter. You raised a brow, greeting him back with amusement. Almost every morning, he cleaned the shelved of the counter, making sure nothing was expired and that everything was in its usual place. He was funny like that. He smiled, white teeth showing through before he ducked back behind the long counter again. From down below, he started a conversation. “How is your kid doing?” He asked just as you flipped the closed sign to open.
        “Good. He’s starting to walk. Seven steps is his record,” you informed.
Taejong cooed, clearly impressed by the baby. “He’s learning fast. Maybe he’ll grow up to be a runner!”
You snorted, amused with the idea, “Maybe. Hopefully he won’t become a barista like some loser.” He laughed rambunctiously at your teasing words. A running joke between the two of you was how you both landed a job at this place after getting fired from every other job you guys had before.
Shuffling behind the counter, you ruffled his hair as you passed by, going to start up the brewing machines. “You know,” you continued, “I think he’ll be great at anything. He has that feel to hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter