Eleven

The Only Exception

(Jin Woo's POV)

I stared at the woman sleeping next to me, brushing wisps of hair away from her face and sighed deeply.

Why must the heavens treat you so cruelly?

She started coughing and stirred from her sleep. She slowly opened her eyes and gasped for air. I rushed to get some water for her, her coughs in the distant. My brows furrowed in concern. When I returned, she was covering with a paper napkin and when she took it away, there was fresh blood on it. I almost dropped the cup in my hand. 

She must have noticed my shock, because she smiled and said, "I'm sorry Jin Woo, for scaring you like that." Her voice was barely a whisper.

I shook my head, and slowly made my way towards her, passing her the cup of water. She gulped it down gratefully. However, she started coughing violently again, grabbing a few tissues and staining all of them. Her face was drained from any colour, a sickly white. I took her hand and squeezed it, trying to comfort her. 

"Do you need your medicine?" I asked worriedly. She shook her head.

"It's not time yet." 

She finally stopped coughing and breathed heavily. I wrapped her in a hug and rubbed her back. Her breath tickled my neck, and it steadied. I carefully lay her down onto her pillow, and placed a kiss on her forehead. "Goodnight."

She smiled, and closed her eyes. I wrapped a blanket around her.

She had grown so thin, thinner than she'd ever been. Her cheekbones were poking out of her skin, and she was reduced to skin and bones. The life in her eyes were being out by the disease. She could barely speak nowadays, and I missed her voice that was like music to my ears. The disease was like a black hole, taking everything with it, leaving nothing behind. 

It was a cold morning when I found her collapsed on the floor, blood trickling from her nostril. I rushed her to the hospital, and the doctor confirmed  my worst thoughts: she had contracted stage IV cancer. She only had six months to live. I hugged her tightly, biting my lips to prevent myself from crying. She broke up with me, simply because she didn't want me to see her suffering. 

As the days passed, the effects of the disease took their toll on her. She was rapidly losing weight, and had random bouts of nosebleeds. She went for treatment and her lustrious hair started falling off. There was once she tried to comb her hair, but a huge bunch of it detached instead. She broke down on the floor, weeping as she picked up the pieces of hair one by one.

"I'm really going to die, Jin Woo."

I stayed by her, taking care of her and made sure that she well. Of course, I lost the most important girl in my life instead, the girl that I had fallen head over heels in love with. I rejected her confession, because it was my responsibility to be with Mi Hyun. I didn't have the heart to dump her and leave her alone. She had no one. No siblings, no relatives, no close friends, and her parents were busy gambling their lives away. 

I kissed her that night, because I believed I would never have the chance again. Her face was so close to mine, so tempting, and I thought: just one kiss will do. So I dived in and kissed her.

When she asked me if I loved her, I was so tempted to scream 'yes' into the phone, but I looked out of the room and saw her watching television. I squeezed my hands into a tight fist. The line was abruptly cut off. 

I never heard from her again.

Until that day, when I saw her at the studio doing a shoot. I had followed Mi Hyun to tender her resignation, and it was an emotional morning. We stayed there and I comforted her. She was devestated that she had to give up her dreams. 

When I saw her, my heart raced madly. I was so glad to see her again, and she had grown prettier. The stylist did a great job of dressing her up too.  As I was talking to Mi Hyun, I heard her laugh. It wasn't a happy laugh. 

"I'm sorry, I just thought of something really hilarious and ironic. Please forgive me," she apologised after the cameraman chided her. I missed her voice, and hearing it sent chills down my spine.

I looked at her, and we made eye contact. She didn't look away, but instead raised her brows tauntingly, like she was challenging me to do something. 

"That was a great pose Miss Yoon, it's a wrap!"

She walked away, a triumpant smile on her face. I rushed over to her side, ready to talk to her. I had so many things to say to her. Just as I was about to open my mouth, she said, "Gosh, the light makes me tear up. Let's go unnie, I have to go back to the studio." She left quickly with her manager, not giving me a chance to speak at all. 

When we were about to leave, she returned. I started making my way towards her, telling Mi Hyun I'd be back soon. However, as soon as she saw me, she walked away briskly, answering a call.

"Yes, yes, I'll be back soon. I'm returning my clothes now. Hmm? I'll be there in thirty. Yes, bye." 

I watched as she walked further and further away, disappearing into the dressing room. I sighed dejectedly and went back to Mi Hyun. 


(Ha Na's POV)

I heard cheers and shouts coming from a room and made my way there. The people in there seemed to be celebrating something, and who could refuse a party? I found the room and knocked the door. 

In there was WINNER, as well as Big Bang, 2NE1, Epik High, Team B, sajang and some staff. Taehyun spotted me and gestured me over. I smiled and went over. "What brought you here?" he asked.

"I heard some noises, and curiousity got the better of me. What are you celebrating?" 

"We're debuting!" he shouted and I grinned genuinely.

"That's awesome, congratulations!" He thanked me and brought me to the middle of the room. I greeted all the people there, and they were all surprised to see me there. 

"Did one of the boys invite you here?" 2NE1's Chae Lin sunbae winked. I  was about to say no when I felt someone grab my hand. I looked up and saw Taehyun smiling at me. 

"Yeah, me," he said, "I invited her to celebrate our debut." I went along with him and nodded profusely, insisting that I was his date despite Chae Lin sunbae's suspicions. She asked about the previous incident with Jin Woo, bringing back painful memories. I kept quiet. 

"She was drunk at that time noona," Taehyun answered for me, and I eyed him gratefully. 

Thank god for him.

She nodded knowingly, and walked away to join her friends. I immediately bowed to Taehyun, muttering countless thank yous. He laughed and waved it away, insisting that it was nothing. "Let me be your real date tonight to repay you, alright?" I offered, and he agreed. 

We went around eating and drinking for the whole night, getting to know each other better. He went around introducing me as his date, and many people complimented us on how cute we looked together. Even sajang said that we were compatible. I blushed profusely and looked down in embarrassment. However, I noticed a certain someone looking at us for the whole night. It was as if he was jealous.

He was with Mi Hyun, and she was on a wheelchair, looking very pale. 

What happened?

I ignored his stares and continued having fun, laughing and joking with Taehyun. When Taehyun went away to the bathroom, I stood at  a corner of the room and sipped at my cocktail. Suddenly, someone tapped my shoulder.  I spun around, shocked.

"Ha Na." My heart skipped a beat. It was unreal that he was standing right in front of me now. I had tried to avoid him, but now that he was in front of me, I realised that I had missed him, a lot. I looked away, avoiding his gaze.

"I missed you," he whispered, and i wanted to fall into his arms as if everything that happened in the past two weeks never existed. Hearing that from him was heaven, and it felt so good. However, I put on a strong front. 

You can't succumb to him so easily.

"You can't do this, you have her," I said coldly and gestured to Mi Hyun, who was looking at us. He sighed, and grabbed one of my hands. I jerked at his touch, surprised by his action. 

"You have to wait for me Ha Na. I'll go back to you, I promise."

Part of me wanted to forgive him, and the sincerity in his eyes almost convinced me to. But another part of me wanted to end everything with him.

What if he's lying?

I shook my head. "You can't just leave me, and then tell me you're coming back to me again Jin Woo. Things don't work that way. Love isn't a game. You can't trample all over my heart and then come back and try to repair it. I'm trying to give up on you Jin Woo. Please don't make things difficult for me." 

I closed my eyes and allowed the tears to take over me. I did not want things to end this way, but what other choice did I have? Mi Hyun was obviously sick and needed him. I can't be so selfish. I had to give up. 

With that, I walked away and went to find Taehyun. I could tell he wasn't following me, and felt a wave of relief. At least he listened to me. I turnt back, and saw that he had returned to Mi Hyun, tending to her. 

It was almost like the beginning before everything happened, but the only difference was that he still had her, while I was alone. 

That night, I downed glasses of alchohol, trying to drown all my sorrows. Taehyun kept telling me to stop, but in the end, I convinced him to join me in drinking. I was feeling really drowsy by the end of the party, and Taehyun brought me to his apartment. 

The next morning, I woke up and found myself in a completely new environment. It wasn't my bedroom. Somebody was breathing against my neck, startling me and I sat up straight, waking up the person beside me. I looked down and made a horrifying realisation - I was . When I looked next to me, the face that was staring back at me appalled me.

It was Taehyun. I yanked at the covers to wrap my body, revealing his body. I screamed hysterically and shut my eyes.

"What did you do to me?!" I yelled and threw a pillow at him. He yelped. There was a lost look in his eyes.

"I... I have no idea too." 

I tried to stand up, but there was an aching in my nether region.  The messy scattering of our clothes and the on the floor confirmed my thoughts.

I had lost my ity to Nam Taehyun.


Note: I AM BACK! Did you miss me?xD Sorry for not updating for soooooo long, but as you know I wrote a new oneshot and many things happened in this period of time. I was hella busy, with lots of assignments and projects.

Anyway, this chapter explains many things, and I hope it replies some of the questions you may have in your mind. Did the last part surprise you too? :P

What did you think of this chapter? Comments are very much welcomed ^^

I need you guise to tell me honestly too: do you think the posters I make are okay?

P.S: I decided to add a picture of Jin Woo in each chapter because he is TOO GODDAMN ADORABLE. LIKE WHO GAVE HIM THE RIGHTS TO BE THIS ADORBZ HUHHHHHHHHH 

P.P.S: I am so excited for WINNER's debut!!!

Stay tuned ~