One

The Only Exception

(Ha Na's POV)

"Ok, just once more, once more and we'll call it a day," my dance instructor, Soo Bin unnie said. I sighed and wiped my sweat away. Fourteen times. I've repeated the same dance over and over again for fourteen times a day. My muscles ached so badly. I was physically and mentally exhausted. I wanted to give up. 

But giving up isn't an option. Giving up was never an option. 

"You can pack your stuff and leave now if you cannot cope with all these. Feel free to do so, the doors are wide open for you. But do you want to give up? Do you want to give up on all your dreams and hopes? After coming so far, do you want to drop everything and leave? Think about that Ha Na. I see potential in you, honestly. Do you want to give up now?" 

His words woke me up and I stayed on because of him. Sajang treats me like his daughter, and I'm really grateful for that, because he's real nasty to some other trainees. Sure, he criticises me, scolds me, punishes me, but he's always there for me when I'm down, giving me advice when I need it, guiding me through my darkest times. He's like my father away from home. 

"Are you ok? I won't force you if you can't do it," Soo Bin unnie looked at me sympathetically. I took in a deep breath and shook my head. 

"I can, I can do it. One last time. Start the music please."

The familiar tune started playing and almost instinctively, I started moving to the music. Adrenaline rushed through my veins as I moved my arms and legs swiftly, gracefully, bringing them up and down, immersing myself in the music. I shut out all my thoughts and concentrated on myself. Imagine it's the world watching me, imagine the spotlight shining on me, imagine appa and umma watching me backstage. It's time for me to shine. 

The music died down and I finished it with a bow. Somebody clapped and I turned to face that direction. My face immediately lit up when I recognised him. 

"Great job Ha Na, I'm proud of you," he slowly walked towards me, arms extending for a hug. 

"Thanks Ji Yong sun-" 

"It's oppa," he smiled. I let out a small chuckle. He wrapped me in a friendly hug. 

"That was absolutely stunning. I couldn't believe it was you. Just a week and a little more of not seeing you and you've improved so much. Your movements are much more fluid and the vibe you give off is just... wow. I'm really really proud of you." 

"Thank you so much oppa, credits to Soo Bin unnie for being such a great instructor too," I bowed and he ruffled my hair. 

"Indeed, Soo Bin should get the credits too." 

"Nah, Ha Na's attitude is remarkable. She's a real gem." I blush at her compliment. 

"Come, let me treat you to a meal. You look worn out," Ji Yong sunbae took my arm and led me out of the room. 

"Ji Yong sunbae-"

"Oppa," he cut me off, "how many times must I remind you to call me oppa? Please don't call me sunbae, it makes me feel old."

I just smile. Another reason I stayed was Ji Yong sunbae. He was the reason that I entered too. His words of encouragement and jokes give me the motivation to carry on. He makes sure he attends every single one of my monthly evaluations no matter how busy he is, and his presence alone makes me more confident. He treats me like his dongsaeng, and I'm so glad to have him in my life. 

We finally arrived at the canteen. I ordered kimbap and sat down at a table with him. 

"Kimbap only? You're not eating your favourite jajangmyeon or kimchi bokumbap?" he asked in concern. 

"Not in the mood for those." I picked up my chopsticks and started stabbing at the rolls of rice. Even though I'm supposed to be hungry, I just didn't have the appetite for anything. 

"Is something wrong?" Another thing about Ji Yong sunbae is that he knows when I'm feeling down, and I wouldn't hesitate to spill my guts out to him. 

"I just... I'm feeling tired of this whole trainee thing. Everyday, I train and work so hard, slogging my guts out until I'm exhausted. But I don't even know when I'm going to debut. Debuting is my one and only dream, but seeing Ha Yi, Chan Hyuk and Soo Hyun debuting while I'm still here training, it just seems so far away. I've been training for years, and sajang hasn't mentioned a single word about debuting to me. I just feel so lost right now. Why am I training so hard for nothing?" 

Ji Yong sunbae looked at me in the eyes. "Yah Ha Na, I know how you're feeling now. I was like you when I was still a trainee, and I always wondered how it would be like standing on the stage, with thousands of people watching me from the bottom, probably chanting my name and waving their light sticks. I've come all the way here, and trust me, I really miss my trainee days. Back in those days, at least I still had a goal, a dream that I worked hard for. I miss those days, and you're going to miss yours too when you are popular and successful, because at times, you get lost in fame too. You'll find yourself choking on the memories. And why sajang is training you so hard, pushing you to the limit, is because he finds potential in you. He thinks you have what it takes. He wants you." 

Half an hour later, I found myself on the rooftop of the YG building, sitting on the railings. The wind blew softly, strands of hair flying and whipping my face. I brush them away and comb my hair hastily. The aftermath of all that dancing was kicking in and my muscles started hurting. Badly. I stared into nowhere, zoning out and thinking. 

"I see potential in you, honestly." Sajang's voice played and repeated in my head. 

"And why sajang is training you so hard, pushing you to the limit, is because he finds potential in you. He thinks you have what it takes. He wants you." Ji Yong oppa's words also started echoing in my mind. Potential. Do I really have that?

Often, I look at myself dancing through the mirror in the dance studio. It's either I'm too rigid, or my dance steps aren't right, or I look too bored.

Many times, I hear myself singing through recordings, and my voice is either too highly-pitched, airy or my words are slurred. Do I really have what it takes? I don't think so. They think too highly about me. I really can't do it. 

My lips quivered and there was a huge lump in my throat as I tried to hold back my tears, but they broke through my tear ducts and coursed down my cheeks. I sobbed into my palms, letting all the emotions out. Maybe I'm not that worthy of all their expectations. 


(Jin Woo's POV) 

I stare at my phone, at the message, the message I've read for at least thirty times. 

"Mi Hyunnie ~ : Jin Woo, you should know that we're growing apart these days. You have your tours to perform at, I have my finals to prepare for. Our calls get shorter, dates get less frequent, I don't even get to see my boyfriend at least once a week, and even when I do, it's on my computer screen, usually it's a photo taken by a fan. I see you've lost weight. I hope you've been doing well. But honestly, I'm uncertain about our future. I don't think I can cope with the media, the public and the fans when the time comes. We won't even get to go out without hiding, all because you're 1/5 of WINNER. I'm not trying to stop you from fulfilling your dreams; instead, I'm encouraging you. I just can't carry on like this anymore. It hurts me, a lot, but I have to say this: let's break it off, and remain as friends. I think it's better off for both of us this way, don't you think so?"

I still can't believe she actually sent this. She's being ridiculous. After three years of going through think and thin, do I only mean this to her? Are her studies more important than me? It has been two days since she sent the text, and I have yet to reply her. What can I reply her, I love you and I respect your decisions and we'll just be friends? No, because I do not like her decisions, and I do not want for us to be just friends. 

"Hyung, it's your turn to record," Tae Hyun called and I stood up. Dragging my feet, I headed to the recording room and warned up my vocals before putting on the headphones and positioning the mic. 

The music started playing and I looked at the lyrics. 'Love is sweet like you', 'Your name is like music to my ears'. Seriously Seung Yoon, how much cheesier can you get? I know you recently started going out with Sarang, but gosh, I can't stand it. 

I tried singing it with the feelings of a boyfriend that is super attached to his girlfriend, but I just couldn't. I couldn't get Mi Hyun's message off my mind. I took off the headphones and stomped out of the recording studio. 

"Hyung, what's wrong?" Min Ho grabbed my arm. 

"Let go." 

"Seriously hyung..."

"I said let go!" I shouted and he did, a look of hurt in his eyes. I looked away and left the room with the members yelling my name. I dashed madly to the lift and headed to the top floor. Images of Mi Hyun ran through my mind. Her smile, her hair, her hands, everything of her is perfect, and I was reminded of why I fell in love with her in the first place: her endearing personality. But she doesn't seem all that endearing now.

Pushing the door slowly, I sighed as I entered my place of escape, but was taken aback when I saw that I wasn't alone. There was a girl there, sitting on the railings, her face in her palms. She looked as if she was about to end her life. No, I will not let that happen. I approached her, careful not to make a sound, just like in the movies. I reached out to grab her by the waist. 

 

*note: Surprise surprise, I'm back with this brand new story! A brand new story, a brand new beginning:) I hope you like it so far, and please continue to support it like you did with 'Unknown'. I'll try to write longer chapters from now on as I realised that my chapters are a little too short. :P

Stay tuned ~