Twelve

The Only Exception

(Ha Na's POV)

It has been a week since that day. I fled from his place immediately after dressing up, hot tears flooding my eyes, feeling so ashamed of my own deed. I actually lost my ity to someone I just met. I promised myself that I would save my v-card for someone special, someone worth it and I actually lost it because of my inability in controlling my alcohol intake. Not that Taehyun is a bad guy; he's a great guy actually. It's just that I don't have any feelings for him, at least not any romantic ones. 

He called me at least ten times a day but I ignored every single one of his calls. I walked in the opposite direction whenever I saw him in the building. I avoided him like the plague, because I had no guts to face him. Things were awkward and I did not speak to him since that night. I didn't know what to say if I faced him. I was at a complete loss.

I was at the backstage of the YG Family Concert in Seoul watching them perform when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Mi Hyun and I immediately sat next to her, an awkward silence blanketing us. "Hi," she greeted me first and even though she was really pale, she was still as beautiful. She was a wilting flower. 

"Hello," I smiled at her genuinely. After all, how could one bear any ill feelings towards a sick person? She tugged at her beanie and fiddled with her fingers, as if she was thinking about what to say. 

"Can I say something?" she asked. I nodded, allowing her to continue. 

"It's about Jin Woo." I smiled a little upon hearing his name. It was interesting to hear about him from his girlfriend. 

"He loves you a lot. I can tell, from the way he looks at you and from the way he looked so hurt after your conversation that day." I raised my brows, her words catching my attention slowly. "It hurts me to to see him falling for another woman but I have to let go. I'm dying anyway." She smiled sadly and my heart ached for her. I took her hand out of sympathy and rubbed it, realising that it was like a block of ice. 

"You have to cherish him and love him. I know you do, but you're giving up your chance because of me. Don't let me hinder your way. I'm entrusting Jin Woo to you, okay? Promise me you'll treat him well. Promise me you'll make him happy." She chuckled a little and I looked away, unable to meet her eyes, guilt gnawing away at my heart.

So she knew all this while?

I shut my eyes and opened my mouth to speak. "I... I can't do this," I whispered. 

"You have to, do this for me, and him, and yourself. I know you love him, so go ahead and love him with everything you have." 

I nodded and she pulled me down into a hug. The tears coursed down my cheeks and I sobbed into her shoulders.  She wiped away my tears with her thumb.

"I'll be watching from heaven." 

We talked about everything under the sun, from love to friendship to fame. She was a really nice person and I cried even harder after knowing that she was going to die in less than a month. I had just gotten to know her. 

That night, she told me everything about Jin Woo and hearing it from her made everything more ironic. I was hearing it from Jin Woo's girlfriend that was about to die. 

Jin Woo's favourite colour is bright orange just like his personality. Jin Woo snores a lot. Jin Woo gets lost easily. Jin Woo likes girls who do aegyo. Jin Woo doesn't cry easily but when he cries, he cries for a long time. Jin Woo may look like he is emotionally strong, but he is actually really emotional.  

"Do you think Jin Woo really loves me?" I asked her. 

She took out a crumpled piece of paper from her pocket and placed it in my hands. "You'll find your answer here."

"Sometimes I think of us as the sun and moon

Lovers who rarely meet, always chase and almost always miss one another

But once in awhile we do catch up and we kiss

And the world stares in awe of our eclipse"

I sobbed harder after reading it, recognising his handwriting and crunching up the piece of paper. "When... when did he write this?" 

"Yesterday. I found it on the table when he went to rehearse." I hugged her and cried. 

"Thank you for trusting me with him. Thank you so much." Her laughter resounded in my ears. 

She died two weeks later of health complications at home. 

I was there at her funeral and surprisingly not much people were there despite the fact that she was a well-known model. She had no siblings and her parents were not there too. Jin Woo was sobbing into his hands and my heart wrenched at that sight. I wanted to go over and comfort him but I decided not to in case anyone misunderstood. 

We had to walk past her coffin and place a black rose in it. When it was my turn, I knelt down and placed the flower in her hair. "I'll keep my promise," I whispered and quickly stood up, fighting the tears that were threatening to fall. 

After the funeral, I went to visit an old friend, a person that I had not seen for a long time. I knelt down in front of him, caressing his face gently and wiping the dust off it. I placed the fresh forget-me-not flowers next to him. They were his favourite flowers, with their bright blue hue and tiny appearance. He often said they resembled me, so small but so powerful, but now they meant another thing. They symbolised memories. 

"Oppa, it's me, Ha Na, your favourite girl," I said. His smiling face was staring back at me and it was as if we were having an actual conversation. "I hope you're listening closely, because I have so, so many things to say."

The next hour was spent pouring my heart out to him, telling him about everything that happened during his absence. I told him about Jin Woo, Taehyun, my mother, my debut and anything else. I laughed, I cried and I cursed. When I was speaking, a butterfly landed on his grave, fluttering its wings and it stayed there while I spoke.

They say butterflies are souls of the dead waiting to pass through Purgatory and I was positive that butterfly was Jong Su.

I went with a heavy heart but left with a light one. I was glad that I finally spilled everything to him and though it was not in person, I could feel that his spirit was with me. 

It started drizzling just as I stood up and I fumbled to find an umbrella but could not find mine. I cursed and ran to seek shelter under a tree, which was a pretty stupid decision considering the fact that it was the most vulnerable spot to be struck by lightning, but I was left with no other choice. I sighed and leaned against the thick tree trunk, waiting for the rain to stop. The place was starting to creep me out. 

Suddenly, I felt a tap on my shoulder and spun around. It was him. 

"What are you doing here?" we asked at the same time and I looked down while he kept rubbing his umbrella handle. 

"You... you don't have an umbrella?" he asked, breaking the eerie silence between the both of us. It was then that I realised he had gotten closer to me, sheltering me from the rain with his umbrella. I shook my head. 

He wrapped his arm around my waist, catching me by surprise. "Don't stand in the rain, you-you'll catch a cold," he stuttered and I smiled at how adorable he was. I missed how warm his embrace was. We made our way out into the rain and the sound of our shoes in the mud filled the silence in between us. His grip on me was getting tighter and I felt suffocated, but I did not mind, not a single bit. 

We reached his car. "Do you want a lift?" he asked, and of course, I agreed. We sped down the highway, catching up like old friends and it almost felt like the distance we had created between us in the past few weeks was non-existant. He reached my aparrtment and I was reluctant to part with him, but he pushed me out of the car.

"We'll see each other again soon enough," he teased and gave me a peck on the lips before driving away. The spot where he kissed me tingled and I found myself touching it, heat rising in my cheeks. 

He kissed me.

 

Note: So how was this chapter? Filled with angst and a little fluff at the end. I hope it satisfied your feels xD Look forward to more JiNa moments from now onwards ~ Sorry if it was pretty short though. 

And omg, WINNER finally debuted aasdfghjkldjadjowansdscantnacbafvfdfvcontainnkfweugwerthysdfnwfgwyrgyqwgffeelsdmkwfnwufyqdadw !!11!!!!1 I love all the songs in their album, seriously, but if I really had to choose, Empty is my favourite song  What about you, what's your favourite song from their album? 

And omigosh Jin Woo you're so fine you blow my mind ughhhhh. Please don't look so sad T^T

Stay tuned ~