Chapter 12

Unattainable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After arriving home, the first thing that Jin did was take two large painkillers for her throbbing head. Her head left like it was pulsating and she knew that her fever had come back because of how cold she felt even her thick coat. After she had taken a cool shower to lower her temperature, it didn’t seem to work. She was still at 102 F (38.89 C). She changed into 2 layers of clothes and pulled her thickest blankets out from her closet. She needed to sweat off this fever and crawling under those blankets would do the trick. It seemed as if the moment her head hit her pillows she felt the darkness overtake her mind and dove into a deep sleep.

 

She could hear the rustling of the trees and soft whoosh of the breeze. The warmth against her cheeks was extremely comforting and the freedom she felt was exhilarating. She ran along what seemed like a path in the middle of the woods. It was familiar yet Jin knew she had never been here before. It was like deja vu. The scenery around her was set in monochrome, the only colors standing out being hues of red. She looked around and she saw wild, red flowers growing along the pathway, deep red leaves decorating the trees, and the red sweater of the person who was pulling her along. She could hear the subtly familiar, but distant laughter of a man and a woman, the echoing of their footsteps, and the warm of his hand. The sun from above seemed to shine abnormally bright, blinding her from seeing the face of the person who had accompanied her.

 

As if there were some supernatural border, the forest she had ran in stopped growing at a certain point. Tree limbs and bushes that would have stretched on to the next side seemed like they had been chopped in half revealing the insides of the trees’ trunks. Beyond the strange forest seemed to be a never ending field filled with nothing but golden wheat that rolled like waves as the wind blew onto it. The color had returned to this portion of the land revealing a dazzling blue sky with large, fat clouds; clouds that only became present after the rain.

 

Jin turned and looked at who she was running with. She could have sworn that the sun had been facing them as they ran but now it shone behind his head, it's bright, white rays blinding her again. She felt herself smile at him, gripping his hand tightly before they both ran into the field.

Their laughter echoed through the air along with the rustling of the wheat. Her heart pumped excitedly and she could literally feel the adrenaline running, coursing through,her veins. And then from the horizon, the SM building rose into view as they ran. She found it odd to see it out in the middle of nowhere but the boy she was with pulled her toward it.

 

From around her, the sky that was once a bright blue rapidly began to change its color as they neared the building. The blue soon morphed into a yellow pink and quickly into a pink purple. Stars in the shape of a star began to fall from the sky before bouncing into place. If one looked closely, they could see that the stars were held in place by what looked like string. The white moon “fell” into the sky in the shape of a Crescent, glistening as if it had glitter and sequins attached to it. And before Jin could admire the amazing night sky, the boy she was with pulled opened the door to the building and lead her in.

 

There was no lobby, no front desk, no posters, nothing like the building at all. Instead, she had been pulled into what looked like… a storage room. It was so familiar as if she had been there before. It wasn't like when she was in the woods. She knew she had never been there before but here, it was exactly the same as before. Jin looked around and saw the same door with the rectangular window, the speakers and fans set in the corner of the small room, the light the dangled from the ceiling and… Taemin. She looked up and realized that it had been him who was with her the entire time. It was him she had been running with in the woods, the field. But why was she with him here?

 

She felt herself look up at him and he looked down. She saw his soft smile and his brown bangs covered his dazzling brown eyes. She felt his warm fingers brush against her cheek and she felt herself lean into it. His fingers wove themselves into her hair, tucking it behind her ear. The thumping of her heart rang loudly in her ears and the warmth she felt in her cheeks surpassed the warmth she had felt before in the woods. She felt light and bubbly and her stomach felt like it was clenching and twisting in her body. Her fingers and toes tingled in anxious delight and her hands itched in anticipation. Both of his hands came to her cheeks and cupped them tenderly and then he began to lean in. At that moment, it was as if she had left her body. It was as if she was being pulled away slowly. She watched as her eyes fluttered close as did Taemin’s, and then, their lips touched. From where they connected, a faint yellow light erupted and slowly it began to grow. Brighter and brighter it went as Jin continued to be pulled back as if it were a star itself. It was like golden sunshine breaking through dark, thundering clouds. Its rays radiated throughout the dark room, shining and shimmering like like the morning’s first rays of sunshine.

 

She left the building through a window in the room, a window she didn't remember seeing, and flew back higher and higher. The building grew smaller and smaller within the field of golden wheat and as she continued to move backwards, the forest came into view and the stars began to fly past her.

 

Jin opened her eyes. Above her, she saw the dark ceiling and realized just how late it was. She turned and looked at her digital clock and read 5:26AM on it. She had slept a full 12 hours with all of the medicine that she had taken the night before. With a small groan, Jin slowly pushed herself up and reached over her night stand, switching on her lamp. Her fever was gone and she felt 10x better than she did when she first went to sleep. Yawning, she outstretched her arms over her head and leaned back into her pillows. And then, her dream entered her mind.

 

What was annoying about dreams was that they always managed to disappear from memory the moment you woke up. Jin had had some pretty great dreams and a few of them were the roots of some of the songs she had written in the past. She honestly couldn't recall much about what she had just dreamt about. She remembered small things like the red flowers and the stars hanging in the sky by a piece of thread, but what had stuck out completely was that… that kiss. Jin’s finger came up to her bottom lip, rubbing it gently as she thought about it. Her mind flashed back to Taemin’s charming smile and his warm hands on her cheek. And then the kiss… Oh, why did it have to be with him?! Taemin of all people!

 

Jin found herself thinking about it too long and she groaned loudly in annoyance as she sunk back under her blankets. She tossed and turned underneath them and polled the pillows down. Taemin. Why did it have to be Taemin? Why would it be Taemin in the first place? That was the question that Jin had. Jin was only friends with Taemin, not to mention they had just become friends not too long ago. Jin pulled her blanket off her her head and blew her hair away from her face, her fingers unconsciously coming back to her lip rubbing it lightly as she thought about it. Again. She couldn't seem to chase that light, fluffy feeling that she had in her dream away. She could feel the butterflies still floating in her stomach and the tingling sensations in her fingers. Jin sighed and shook her head, and turned to the clock again. It was still too early for her to go to work and she was wide awake now after her long, beautiful sleep. She sighed and pulled the blanket off her, forcing herself out of bed.

At 8:00, Jin had already gotten ready. She had pulled on a black and white, striped shirt, blue jeans, sneakers, and a large coat over her. She sighed as she checked herself in the mirror and combed her bangs with her fingers.

“Ok, Jin. Relax.” she let out another breath and attempted again, for the 100th time that morning, to dispelled that awkward dream. It was irritating her to how annoying that dream was being. She shook her head and slapped her cheeks lightly before straightening her clothes. Jin grabbed her keys and bag off her dresser and her handful of files that she had taken home a few days before. As Jin pushed open the door and stepped out, she was momentarily stopped noticing something on the ground. Furrowing her brows, Jin bent over and picked up the brown bag.

 

“Headache medicine.” she said softly to herself. Jin thought quickly to herself and cocked her head. No one knew of her being sick except, maybe, Kai but even then, he didn't know where she lived. Jin hummed softly in confusion and assumed that maybe one of her neighbors saw her yesterday and maybe they had brought her some medicine.

 

---

 

Taemin bit his lip gently and leaned back in his chair as he studied Jin. She looked… fine. He hummed quietly to himself and question why she was so ok. Yesterday she thought she had been able to cover up her sickness but he could tell. The bag under her eyes were noticeable,  her eyes and smile were not lively or awake like they usually were and he could tell that she wasn't all there that day. It wasn't hard to spot seeing how he had been in her position many times within the years he's been active in Shinee. There were days where he felt like death but because he was an idol, he had to act as if he were ok.

 

But still it was strange how quickly she was able to feel better. She was still wiping her stuffy nose and clearing but she was up and walking around. Maybe the medicine that he had brought her last night worked. The night before he had brought her the medicine he had bought earlier that day, but because he had a schedule to attend he wasn't able to give it to her until late that night. By then, it had already been impossibly late so he left it outside her door hoping that she would get it the next morning. Maybe she had already taken the medicine and he was the reason she was feeling better

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter