Chapter 9

Unattainable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was 9:50 in the morning and Jin was already in the recording studio ready for that day's session. There was a steaming cup of coffee sitting on the table with a freshly toasted beagle sat beside it. Two large folders were held against Jin's chest as she bowed toward Jinhyuk who had just walked in.

 

"Ah, it's good that you're early." He said taking of his coat, "and you've already got my breakfast! Best intern I've had so far." He gave Jin a pleased look and glanced down at his watch. "They should be here soon." Jin kept a neutral face in order to hide her mild discomfort. She hadn't seen the guys for a few days now and she had hoped that within that time, she'd be able to get rid of her uneasiness however she realized that morning that she hadn't been able to accomplish that. She took a deep breath as the clock neared 10 and contained her emotions. She couldn't allow herself to lose her face at work, not during such an important time. Mustering up her courage, she stood from her chair and greeted them warmly as the six filed into the recording studio. She offered them bright, wide eyes, a kind smile and an open persona, something she tried very hard to push out of her. The only thing she didn’t do was make direct eye contact because quite frankly, she was scared to.

 

“Alright boys,” Jinhyuk said clapping his hands together, “today we’re going to start and hopefully finish Thunder. I expect that you guys have already heard the demo version?” The 6 nodded in confirmation as they mentally readied themselves for the long day ahead. "Good. You get the vibe I'm trying to create right? Someone who is frustrated and angry at their ex-girlfriend because they're never in sync and they don't understand each other. Now that they're broken up, he wants her back but knows he can't have her because he's always a step behind. You get it? Now, why don't we start now?"

 

"Welcome to hell." Sehun mumbled under his breath. Baekhyun, who was sat to his right, chuckled softly to himself in amusement and leaned back, readying himself for the long day ahead. However, Kai was already having a bad day and it hadn't even begun yet. He couldn't describe it but the look Jin had on her face was almost mocking to him. Why did she look so happy? Why did she look so okay? He knew that it shouldn't have but it made him angry thinking about it. It got his blood boiling at how she was so okay and he was the exact opposite. The longer he looked at her smiling, the angrier he got.

 

A full 5 hours later, they were still in the recording booth struggling to find the right sound for the chorus. Being the picky genius he was, Jinhyuk held the boys there because the way they were singing the post chorus didn't suit his liking. He kept telling them to sing with emphasis and with emotion. He even gave them multiple demonstrations but no matter what they did, they couldn't match what he heard in his head.

 

"No," Jinhyuk said through the microphone, "you did that just earlier and I told you that that had to be a hollow note. I don’t need your voice for this part Baekhyun, I need more voice than I do you just bellowing notes."  With Jinhyuk’s frustration bubbling over the brim, he was unable to see the irritation and the oncoming fatigue in the boys. Jin looked up and through the glass window to Baekhyun and took immediate notice to his overwhelming irritation.

 

“I’m trying.” Baekhyun said as he raked his hand through his hair, “I just can’t get myself to sing the way you want me to. I’ve tried my hardest and I’ve given 150% of my effort but I just can’t--”

 

“Yes, you can.” Jin said taking the microphone from Jinhyuk. Jinhyuk gave her an incredulous look before shrugging it off, too consumed with his own irritation.

 

“If Mr. Choi doesn’t mind,” she said giving him a look for approval, “I’d like to try out something.” Jinhyuk sighed and gave her a lazy wave of the hand before leaning back in his chair. Jin grinned lightly before pulling up her chair. She quickly and diligently shuffled through her stack of paper and pulled out a the sheet she had been looking for and skimmed over it.

 

“Alright, Beakhyun-shi,” she said reading over her notes, “Please find the line ‘I guess you’ve gone too far away/ As time passes, you and I grow more distant.’” Baekhyun looked over to Jin curiously with apprehension in his eyes before reluctantly searching for the line of his copy of the song. “Did you find it?”

 

“Yeah,” he said, “What do you want me to do with it?” Jin reread the line to herself and tapped the paper with the end of the pencil that she held.

 

“You’ve been singing the line with your throat and not your stomach.” she said looking up at him, “and you’ve been singing it with more air that you are your voice. It makes it sound raspy, and husky. Listening to you sing it like that sounds good but it’s not the right type of husky. Do you understand?” Baekhyun gave her a look that asked if she was crazy.

 

“No, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” he said with an exasperated sigh. Jin hummed softly in thought before looking up.

 

“Your favorite ramyeon is the Jajangmyeon ramyeon, right?”

 

“...yeah…”

 

“Think of it like this. What you want is ramyeon, more specifically Jajangmyeon ramyeon, but the convenience store you went to doesn’t have it. They have Shin ramyeon there instead and you buy it just because you want some ramyeon. Now, you the huskiness from the first time you sang the line is the Shin ramyeon; good but not what you wanted. The Jajangmyeon ramyeon is what I want.” Baekhyun nodded his head as he began to understand what she was talking about. Jin smiled a bit and skimmed her paper again. “Now when you sing it this time, sing it as if you’re clenching your stomach or as if your trembling from anger.” Jin gave him a quick demonstration, imitating what she wanted as best as she could before handing it off to Baekhyun with the music. Everyone, including Jinhyuk, held impressed looks and listened intently to Jin’s coaching. They were all slightly amazed to how well she was guiding Baekhyun through the song; all except Kai.

 

Kai told himself that he wasn’t going to allow her to disturb his focus. He came for one reason only and that was to record the song and leave. But being there for five hours straight listening to Jinhyuk’s constant nagging and outwards displays of displeasure had really begun to irk him. And on top of that, listening to the same song over and over again really got him thinking especially about one line: “Now I know that I am lovesick.” That line seemed like it was mocking him as it repeated itself in his head. It was like a broken CD, playing the same part over and over in his head. It frustrated him and it tested his patience and the irritation of the other members did nothing to allow Kai’s own displeasure fester.

 

Unaware of the darker mood Kai was in, Jin continued to help Baekhyun. He seemed to understand the sound that she wanted and she wasn’t getting any objection from Jinhyuk beside her. She glanced at him every so often checking for signs of disapproval but saw none. She took it as her ok. Maybe she was just thinking too much. Before she arrived, she had been anxious of her meeting with them but she saw now that she was doing nothing but worry about something that she shouldn’t have had to worry about. However, just as she had begun to think that this meeting with them would go one uneventful,  Jin heard a scoff of disbelief and mocking amusement come from behind her but she didn't even bother to turn. She already knew who it was.

 

"Excuse me Mr. Choi but I can't seem to hold in my annoyance any longer." Kai sighed and leaned back into the cushion of the seats with his arms crossed defiantly over his chest. He wore an expression of irritation, his short-temper shining through. "I honestly do not see why you even consider her input. She’s just an intern, not even a real composer yet!  I mean, she just graduated not too long ago, right? How are we supposed to trust her judgement and do what she thinks will sound good for the song?  She probably doesn’t even have the slightest idea of what she’s actually doing!” At this point, all eyes were on him, including Jinhyuk’s who had been completely taken aback by Kai’s sudden outburst. “This is our second mini-album and our 4th comeback. I don’t know if she understands but this is a very big deal for all of us. I don’t want some rookie to come in and potentially screw this album up for us. I don’t trust her and I personally don’t think that you should be allowing someone with such little experience help you with our album.” All of them were shocked at his harsh and rash words however it began to fade as disappointment and appalled disbelief set into their systems. Even Chanyeol, who was usually all smiles, looked at Kai with judging eyes, unable to comprehend why he had decided to act in such a way. Jin sat there quietly with the back of her chair turned towards him taking in all of his pent up irritation silently. Letting out a soft and silent sigh, she placed her pen down onto the table and turned towards them with a… a smi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter