Talks

A Type of Love

I glance at Jin; he’s completely into the show I’m supposed to be watching. I smile to myself as I look back to the screen seeing a strange scene of people dancing to music. It’s in the little moments that I’ve found I can let go, when I least expect it and for reasons I hadn’t ever thought of I’m able to forget why I’ve been so in love with Taejoon all this time.

“So I noticed the box, are you moving?” Jin asks while looking away from the screen, he frowns at me. “Or is it just a box of things?”

I chuckle slightly as I let out a small sigh. “It’s a box of Taejoon’s things.” I reply simply. “Things that he’s left here over the years or that he’s given me and told to hold on to.” I explain as I look at the box that I slowly filled with things from around my apartment. “I’ll walk around here sometimes and things that I’ve always had and never thought of I suddenly realize that they belong to Taejoon. Things that I’ve been fond of only because it belongs to Taejoon, it is part of the letting go thing.” I explain.

“You’re going to return them to him?”

I nod my head as I realize just how full the box is. “It’s better for me; holding on to those things really aren’t any good for me. Just little reminders of what had been.” I replay simply. “Sohee thought of the idea to help let go.”

“It is a good idea.” Jin says while wrapping an arm around me. “I’m glad you’re talking to them again.” He adds on as he turns back to the show.

I lean against Jin, that unfamiliar feeling washes over me again as I rest my head against Jin’s shoulder. While at first it made me uncomfortable, I’ve found that I really like whatever feeling this is that Jin gives me. “It has been six months since everything.” I reply quietly thinking about how much time has actually passed. “It’s already December. It’s almost been a year since we met.”

Jin turns the T.V. off. “That seems like so long ago. So much has happened since then.” Jin says in an amazed sort of voice.

“It’s weird to think that meeting you has changed a lot in my life.” I say quietly, voicing my thoughts. “Everything seems so different now.”

“Kind weird to think that we won’t immediately recognize the changes that happen, it takes distance to see the changes that are happening.” Jin says thoughtfully. “I’m really glad I met you.”

“Me too.” I whisper, a content feeling coming over me now. “I’m glad you insisted on walking me back to the lobby.”

“I couldn’t let you wander around too much further, now that I know you, I think you might have ended up dying there in that building.” Jin jokes, his hand rubs the top of my head. “Besides that I’m not sure who might have found you.”

“I might have run into Yoongi.” I suggest playfully. “He’s pretty chill, I like him.” I say happily.

Jin pulls away and frowns at me. “Yah, don’t ruin a moment by making me compete against Yoongi.” He complains, I furrow my brow not quite understanding why he’s upset about it. “It’s hard trying to share your attention.”

“You do realize that if I’m not with Joonyoung, I am with you, right?” I question Jin curiously. “You do know I go to you first, right?” I ask him softly, resting my hands on Jin’s.

Jin looks down at his a lap for a little before he looks over at me. The look on his face surprises me, for a moment I thought he was in pain, that something was troubling him. “Hanbyulie, I’m getting greedy about you.” Jin replies simply, reaching to cup my face. “I don’t want anyone hurting you anymore, I want to protect you.” I blink surprised by Jin’s sudden declaration. “Things have changed a lot this year, not just for me or you, but for us together as friends.”

I find Jin’s sudden declaration curious and a bit odd. “Are you alright?” I ask curiously as I tilt my head trying to figure out where all this is coming from. My friend is suddenly acting odd and doesn’t seem to be aware of how strange his words actually are. “You’re talking like things are going to change again or that we won’t see each other much after this.” I voice worriedly.

Jin’s eyes bulge before pulling me into a hug. “No, we’ll definitely see each other more, for a long, long time. I just, we’ve come a long way. You trust me.”

“Of course I do,” I say still feeling a little odd about this conversation, nothing about Jin comforting me in this exact moment. “Though if I’m being honest, Jin you’re kinda freaking me out.” I say quietly as I wrap my arms around him.

“Sorry, I’m just working though some things, I didn’t mean to weird you out.” He mumbles while squeezing me a little tighter. “A lot of thoughts and what not you know?” Jin says quietly as he lets me go.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I ask gently, though I have a feeling Jin won’t want to. “Or is this more you and Joonyoungie kind of thing?” I ask trying to figure out what exactly Jin is talking about.

“A bit of both, but let’s not talk about that right now.” Jin says smiling at me; I can tell he’s trying to drop the conversation. “Really, I rather wait to get into it; right now isn’t really a good time.”

“Well alright, can’t make you talk about it.” I say after a moment. “What do you want to talk about?” I ask open to changing the subject.

“You were telling me about the exchange program you wanted to do!” Jin says semi-excitedly. Honestly speaking, when I brought it up the first time he was kinda upset about it. “Did you apply?”

I nod my head and smile at him. “You didn’t really want to talk about when I brought it up last month.”

“Well I’ve thought about it, and I should have been more excited for you. I mean it’s something you really want.” Jin says in a kind of enthused tone.

“You’re still working on that whole excited thing, right?” I ask smiling at my friend, Jin sheepishly nods his head. “Its’ alright, only a couple people get to do it. Last year only one person actually made it through the entire screening process.” I explain.

“Don’t sound like you’re not going to make it!” Jin says indignantly. “They’d be lucky to have you participate!” He says fired up.

“I’m glad you think so.” I say grabbing Jin’s hand and squeezing it slightly. “Let’s not talk about this either, it makes me kinda nervous.” I say while laughing slightly.

“Want to get something to eat?” Jin suggests.

I nod my head getting up and letting his hand go. “What do you want to get to eat tonight?” I ask curiously. “And don’t you dare say whatever I want, you did that last time.” I say as I grab my coat, when I turn around I see Jin still sitting on my cough. “Jin?”

“Just watching you, you’re pretty fired up about dinner.” He says getting up slowly.

I smile at him and nod my head. “I’m hungry, besides it’ll be nice to go out for something other than school, I feel like I’ve spent all my time there lately.” I say whining slightly. “Besides I haven’t gone grocery shopping in a while either.”

“We could do that tomorrow; I am getting a little concerned about your kitchen.” Jin says smirking at me.

As Jin gets his coat I glance at the things by my door, the coat that has always been there, picking it up I walk over and drop in in my box. “Come on, let’s go.” I say smiling as I slip my shoes on.

Jin smiles at me and opens the door. “I kinda feel like burgers.”

“Sounds good,” I concur as I follow Jin out. As we leave my apartment I notice that that awkward air we seemed to have worked up into disappears. We talk casually about things and theories about the people around us as we look for a place to grab these burgers that Jin wants to have tonight.