Side Effect

A Type of Love

Jin and I are laughing rather hard, after him nearly falling on his face after spilling his drink on himself. “I told you that there was a tree right there, why didn’t you listen?” I ask fighting to breath.

“Well I was, I just didn’t think you meant literally right there.” Jin mutters while grinning rather happily. “I’ve never heard you laugh like that.” He says rather pleased.

I shrug my shoulders, still grinning. “I guess I really don’t laugh that much.” I say, the statement sounds strange to me. I should laugh more, if feels good, especially like I just did. “To be honest I can’t really say the last time I laughed like that.” I say quietly, I try to think of a time that I was laughing hysterically, barely able to stand, unable to contain myself.

“Well, you should laugh more, you have a nice laugh.” Jin says pleasantly. “Plus you know what they say about people that laugh and look happy.” I shake my head and look at Jin questioningly. “They’re really beautiful.”

“You’re cheesy.” I say while smirking, though I do like the idea of that. “Anyways, you called me away from sleeping in for?” I ask curiously.

Jin just shakes his head, leading me to our usual park bench. “I’m going to be filming in America for a while; we’ll have to call each other.”

I frown to this; I thought I’d have time to spend with Jin now that it’s finally summer. “You better tell Joonyoung, he’s a bit of a fan of Western lifestyles.” I tell him seriously and a bit upset. “I’m gonna miss you.”

“I know, I’ll miss you too.” Jin says quietly. “I’m going to be busy when I get back too.” Jin says sounding a bit annoyed. “I should have told you all the downsides to being my friend.”

“So long as you don’t let all that love you’re going to be getting going to you head.” I say smiling slightly, though honestly I don’t feel like smiling anymore I want to go back to ten minutes ago when we were laughing.

“When I get back I’ll have a couple days, we can do something really fun.” Jin promises me. “Come on tell me more about that book we saw at the coffee shop.” Jin says distracting me.

So I set my cup down next to me and explain different parts of the book, I relate it to life and frown by the time we’re done with our coffee. “It’ll be weird that you’re gone.” I say going back to what is now clouding my mind.

“I know. we’ve been spending a lot of time together.” Jin says quietly. “I’ll send you a picture of something every day, when it’s over we can go have dinner together and catch up, you can tell me about all the things you will have done while I was gone, and I’ll tell you all about my time in America.”

“I suppose I better go try some new things.” I say while sighing, “I’ll have to get Joonyoung to come with me.” I say with a sigh, though I try to sound mocking, I’m not sure if that’s how it sounded.

“Save some things to do with me too.” Jin says teasingly. “It’ll only be for a little while.” Jin promises. His tone is soft and gentle, I’m not sure if he’s said this for my benefit or his.

“I know.” I answer back in the same tone. I’m sad that my friend will be gone for a while, that I won’t be able to see him for a bit.

We sit for a bit longer in silence; I’m not really sure what to say to Jin. It’s strange having to say good bye for longer than a couple of weeks. I’ve gotten used to his erratic schedule and we’ve made things work with it. This though seems much worse.

“Hanbyul,” I freeze hearing my name being called, I turn around slowly, seeing Taejoon walking hand in hand with Sohee. “I thought it was you.” My friend says with a huge grin spread across his face.

I find myself smiling at him, waving to both my friends.

“Should I go?” Jin asks tentatively. “I know you’ve held back on telling them.” He says quietly as they get closer.

I shake my head, grasping his hand slightly. “It’ll be okay, besides we’re friends.” I say completely sure of Jin and I, though if I’m being honest part of it is so I don’t have to face Taejoon and Sohee together alone. “If you want to go I won’t make you stay.” I add on glancing back to my friend.

“I’ll stay.” Jin says back quietly taking my hand in his. As Taejoon and Sohee walk around his grip tightens around my hand and in response I tighten my own grip. I’m a bit nervous about this, though I’m not sure if it’s Taejoon seeing Jin or seeing Taejoon with Sohee.

“Hanbyulie what are—” Sohee says cutting herself off as she just stares at Jin for a moment. She glances from me to Jin, though Taejoon’s smile falters. Sohee untangles her hand from Taejoon’s and bows. “Hi, I’m Sohee.” She says grinning rather happily.

“It’s nice to meet you, I’m Jin,” Jin says a bit awkwardly bowing as well. “Hanbyul has told me a lot about you.” Jin smiles at Taejoon in his usual friendly manner. “It’s nice to see you again; this must be your lovely girlfriend.”

Sohee blushes and grins at Taejoon and then me. “We’re just about to grab something light to eat for lunch; do you guys want to join?” Sohee offers grinning at us. “Oh, we’re not interrupting are we?” She gushes worriedly.

“No, that sounds good,” Jin says getting up, we let go of each other’s hands as we follow Sohee and Taejoon. It isn’t until we’re sitting down that Sohee pops her questions. “So I’m dying to know how you two know each other, and if this is your friend that you’ve been spending so much time with?” Sohee says buzzing happily.

I blush nodding my head from how direct she is. “We met at the signing actually, Hanbyul got a bit turned around and I lead her back to the lobby to help her find Taejoon.” Jin answers when I have a hard time explaining.

Sohee immediately slaps said guy’s arm. “You shouldn’t have gotten separated.” She says worriedly. “Though I suppose things turned out ok,” Sohee adds on while smiling at me. “Is that when you two started hanging out?”

“Actually,” I say speaking up. “Jin found my phone; he came and returned it to me while I was in class.” I explain cheerfully. “Joonyoung and I treated Jin to lunch to thank him.” I explain while glancing at Jin.

“That’s why you suddenly didn’t eat lunch with us?” Taejoon asks frowning. “We could have all gotten something.” He complains while pouting at me.

“We’d have just gotten in the way,” Sohee says ignoring the pout sent to her. “It’s kinda crazy that you’re both such good…” She says while leading off.

“Friends,” Jin and I say together. I glance at him, the two of us sharing a smile. “It’s kinda hard sometimes but Jin is really fun to hang out with.” I say happily. I glance to Taejoon who is just listening and watching me and Sohee talking, a slightly annoyed look crossing his features as Jin comments on something.

“Hanbyul we better get going,” Jin says getting up, glancing to Taejoon and Sohee apologetically. “We want to make it to that reading right?” He says looking at me curiously. Sighing slightly, though Jin smiles at me in his usual sort of way. “Honestly, spacing out now?”

I smile bashfully as I get up looking to Sohee and Taejoon apologetically. “I’ll see you guys later.” I say stumbling over my feet, Jin steadying me carefully, his hands leaving my shoulders only when he’s certain I’m in control of my feet. We leave with him chuckling slightly. “What, did something happen?” I ask worriedly.

“No, just Taejoon seems to not like me still.” Jin says with a slightly amused tone. “But we better get a move on it if we want to make it in time for that reading.” Jin says grabbing my hand and leading me through the streets quickly.

I find that I have a difficult time paying attention to the chapter being read of an unpublished manuscript. Jin and I have made it for several chapters of this author’s works, a private reading to a budding author’s second book. I usually have no problem listening and enjoying the story, though today I feel distracted and not at all here in the now.

“You’ve been spacing out since we ran into Taejoon and Sohee.” Jin says gently, I quickly realize that he’s standing in front of my chair and that the reading has ended, the room has emptied out, it’s just Jin and I. “Are you okay?”

I nod my head getting up, pretending not to have heard his previous statement. “I’m fine.” I answer quietly. I know it bugs Jin and Joonyoung to a degree, it bugs them how much Taejoon affects me, Joonyoung is a bit more vocal about it, Jin’s is just little looks that pass quickly.

“Then I better get you back to your apartment,” Jin says leading the way as per usual. “I’ll be back a week after your birthday.” Jin says sounding rather sad.

“It’s fine.” I say quietly, though admittedly I am a bit upset. “It’s not like you can really help it.” I say smiling.

Jin glances back at me and rests his hand on the top of my head. “You’re putting on a brave face for me,” Jin says smirking. I feel a sense of pride well up in me, though I’m not completely sure why. Jin’s words seem to have a big effect on me, more so than most people’s do. “We’ll have to celebrate when I get back for sure.” I nod my head happily. “I’m going to have to top you dropping cake on Yoongi’s lap.”

I flush a deep red at the mention of the whole fiasco for Jin’s birthday. They’d invited me to celebrate and I ended up dropping a slice of cake on Yoongi’s lap. Yoongi assured me he wasn’t mad, though I’m not sure I believe him, even now. “Maybe I could drop cake on Taejoon.”

I bite my lip, still blushing and trying to calm down from the thought. “You promised you’d stop bringing it up.” I whine trying to calm down, I trip slightly as I do so, stumbling into Jin’s back.

Jin laughs and I find myself a bit drawn into it. “I do it because I like you; I promise it’s only a little bit of teasing.” Jin says affectionately as he turns around to look at me. I’ve noticed it before, but Jin has this air of confidence about him, the kind that he’s okay with not being the best at something, the kind that he knows who he is and where he stands in the world. I find myself a bit jealous. Joonyoung has the same air about him. “You’re staring at me.” Jin says softly.

“I’m sorry,” I mumble as we start walking again, “Lost in thought.” I say quietly. The world around us seems to have gotten louder, the world seems a bit bigger, I wonder if it’s because Jin will be gone for a few months now.

“Look, me being gone in America for a couple months won’t be anything big. I’ll be back and we’ll be just like we always are.” Jin assures me as we enter my apartment building, “We’ll go out to eat sometimes, meet for coffee still, go to readings, window shop, sit in the park, and we’ll still do things together when I get back. I promise.” Jin says as we quickly head up to my apartment. “When I’m gone I’ll send you text messages for you to wake up to, you’ll do the same. Hanbyulie it’ll pass quickly.” Jin says softly.

I smile to my friend, nodding my head. I believe the time will pass, I know it will. I’ll go on a trip maybe with Solbi and Sohee; we’ll buy souvenirs and take pictures. “They’ll throw a party for my birthday, a small get together, will you come? I’ll get them to hold off until you get back.” I ask quickly as we approach my home.

Jin smiles at me, petting the top of my head as he and Joonyoung seem to do a lot. “I’ll be there.” Jin promises me. “Just let me know when and I promise to show up.” He says with a grin.

As I enter my apartment I feel relieved knowing Jin will be there, I feel better knowing that I really will have my closest friends there, even if it’s still a few months away.


I know it's been a while, but I finally found some inspiration!
I hope you guys enjoy. c: