Best Friends

A Type of Love

As I walk in to the coffee shop Jin, as he insists, suggested I look around nervously for said boy. I’m not even sure I came to the right place or not, I glance around warily, texting Jin when I don’t immediately spot him. Most of my thoughts start to turn towards the directions Jin had given me, the simple and supposed to be lost-proof instructions.

“You know I’ve called you a couple times now,” Jin says from behind me. Jumping slightly I turn around and glare at him as he chuckles a bit pleased. “I didn’t mean to startle you, come on, I got a table already.” He says nodding for me to follow him.

Walking behind Jin carefully I take note of his appearance; today he looks different from the other times. Obviously at the fan meet he’d been done up, makeup, clothes, hair, everything. The day we had lunch with Joonyoung he’d been in a sweatshirt and jeans, that day he’d looked tired, overworked and sleep deprived. Today Jin looks a bit more relaxed, not as tired. “I’m not sure I understand why we’re having coffee together.” I state worriedly as Jin offers me a seat; my mind reeling to find a reason as to why I accepted in the first place so quickly.

“Well I’d like to be friends, after all Hanbyul, you’re rather nice.” Jin says openly and rather pleasantly. “Or are you opposed to having another friend?” He asks curiously.

I shake my head, not opposed, but just unsure entirely about Jin. “No, not really,” I say a bit uncertain still. “So how does one make a friendship?” I ask him trying to open the conversation up for us.

This seems to please the man sitting across from me, he grins rather happily and leans back a bit more relaxed. “Well we can do small talk for now, build up.” Jin says happily. “Tell me about yourself.” He says while leaning forward now looking at me eagerly.

“I’m twenty, I work in a flower shop, I like books, and I’m a third year student at Yonsei.” I sum up my entire being, “And I prefer tea to coffee.” I add on as I glance down at the menu.

Jin chuckles lightly nodding his head as if to soak in every word I’d said, “What about your full name? Or your birthday Hanbyul?” Jin questions curiously.

“Choi Hanbyul, I was born July 30th.” I answer simply. “What about you?” I ask curiously. “I know you like pink or claim to.” I say leaning forward to mimic Jin.

“I do, pink is a very manly color.” He answers happily. “Well aside from what I told you from that other time, I like cooking, I’m the oldest in Bangtan, and I was born December 4th.” Jin sums up neatly. “When you space out, what do you think about?” He asks curiously, tilting his head slightly to the left.

The question surprises me. Usually I’m just told not to space out or to pay attention, I’ve never been asked what I think about or where I go when I decide to stop paying attention, conscious or not. “What?” I ask sitting up straight and slightly confused.

Jin looks worried suddenly. “Should I not have asked?” He asks quickly, “I didn’t want to offend you, it’s just since you kind of stop being here sometimes it’s like you go somewhere else I was just curious about that other place.” Jin says quickly.

I shake my head nervously. “No, it’s just no one has ever asked me before.” I say slowly, part of my brain is wondering why my friends have never asked, perhaps they know or don’t care to know. “I just think a lot, sometimes about books, what I’ve said previously or what someone else has said.” I say quietly, Jin suddenly doesn’t seem like such a stranger to me, the simple question sort of just convinced me that he does want to be friends with me. “You’re rather curious.” I say as a waitress comes to our table.

 

I don’t meet the others at the library, Jin and I take a walk, despite the texts I get from my friends, I decide to ignore it for a little. “How are your classes?” Jin asks curiously, the both of us already covering the weather, his practice, that today is his free day, and I worked yesterday and all that it entails.

“I finished my analysis; I just have some readings to do for my Thursday classes. Everything else is pretty straight forward.” I say while shrugging my shoulders. “We already finished the longer books for the class, we’re going over short stories and influences for certain time periods.” I explain with a bit more detail.

“Which do you prefer, the short stories or the longer readings?” Jin asks curiously. “You’re covering Western Literature correct?”

I consider this for a moment. “The short stories aren’t bad, if I don’t like the particular work it isn’t very long, and yeah, Western Literature.” I say after a bit of thought. “You’re promoting Boy in Luv right?” I ask to be sure I’m caught up on Bangtan’s songs.

Jin grins at me nodding his head. “Yeah, are you giving us a try?” He asks curiously, his grin widens when I nod my head, catching me rather naturally when I trip over my feet. Jin’s sudden smile made me a bit more nervous than I care to notice. “What song do you like the most right now?” Jin asks curiously.

“I really like No More Dream.” I confess blushing slightly. “The beginning part is my favorite.” I say a little nervously.

“Ah, Yoongi’s part,” Jin says nodding his head, smiling rather pleased. “What do you usually listen to?” He asks suddenly.

“Usually whatever Sohee or Solbi listen to, Joonyoung really likes American bands and they aren’t bad either.” I say slowly, my preference not really mattering unless I dislike the band or group enough to voice my thoughts.

Jin sighs slightly. “What about when you’re not with your friends, what do you listen to?” He tries again. “Like if you’re at your apartment and it’s just you, what do you put on to listen to?”

I puff my cheeks up slightly as I think about this, “I put Big Bang on a lot.” I say finally. “I like a lot of their songs.” I say with a bit more confidence in my pick. “I also really like Prodigy.” I say as Dayoung’s face flashes through my mind momentarily.

“I like both groups too.” Jin says smiling rather pleased. His smile disappears as his phone rings. “I’m sorry, it’s Jungkook.” Jin says apologetically while looking at the phone.

“It’s alright, you should just get it.” I say encouragingly as he stares a hard at the device.

Jin and I take a seat as he answers the phone. “What do you mean the lunch I made is gone; I made enough for all of you.” Jin says irritably. “It should be there in the fridge, no, no the middle shelf, why would it be in the freezer?” Jin asks exasperated. “Alright, yah, you better share that with the others.” Jin say after listening to whatever Jungkook is saying. “Bye, yeah I’ll be back later.” Jin says before hanging up. “Sorry, the others don’t usually cook. It doesn’t exactly always end well.”

“I understand; you seem rather proud though.” I say chuckling slightly. “You must be a pretty great cook.” I say complimenting the boy sitting next to me.

“Well I still have a lot to learn.” Jin says modestly, “What about you do you cook?” Jin asks curiously, with a somewhat hopeful look in his eyes.

I nod my head slowly, but then shake it a little before answering. “Taejoon has taught me how to make a couple of dishes, but I usually end up worse for wear by the time I’m done cooking.” I say dejectedly, “I stick to really simple recipes.” I confess hesitantly.

“That’s pretty much what I thought you were going to say.” Jin says chuckling. “Maybe you just need some more practice.” He suggests coolly. “You could take a cooking class.”

I’ve honestly considered it, but it’d mean new people, new environments and that means I’d be more trouble than anything else. “I’ve thought about it, but I mean like I said, I cut my arm a few days go just bowing to some customers.” I say frowning at the memory, feeling embarrassed by it all over again.

“You’re turning pretty red.” Jin teases me. “Your phone is going off again.” Jin says suddenly.

Blinking I realize he’s right, pulling my phone out of my bag I answer it quickly. “Hello?” I say glancing at Jin apologetically.

“Hey Hanbyul,” I hear Sohee says worriedly.

I answer shakily. “Hey Sohee,” I say slowly not at all sure how to continue on.

Sohee lets out a small sigh, sounding more relieved now. “We’re just worried, you haven’t answered our texts. Are you still doing whatever you had planned?” She asks sounding more relaxed now.

“Yeah, sorry I didn’t answer. I’ve been preoccupied by other things.” I say watching Jin smirk happily, obviously getting that I’m talking about him.

“Oh, you’re okay right? You sound a little nervous Hanbyul.” My friend asks worriedly. “Joonyoung said that you probably won’t make it…” She leads off in an unsure kind of way. “Are you going to be out late?” Sohee continues to question me.

“Yeah I probably won’t make it,” I say watching as Jin now frowns, to which I shake my head to him. “I’ll see you guys on Monday.” I say ending the conversation the best that I can.

“Alright, I’ll relay the message.” Sohee says chuckling slightly. “Have fun doing whatever it is Hanbyul.” Sohee says before we hang up.

“Did you have other plans?” Jin asks immediately after. I flinch at the raised tone slightly, “Sorry, I just don’t want to keep you if you have other things to do.”

I shake my head at the thought. “No, I told them already that I had plans for Saturday, Taejoon probably just thought I’d meet them at the library anyways.” I say while shrugging my shoulders. “I’ve already finished my classwork anyways.” I say while shrugging my shoulders lightly.

“Taejoon, Joonyoung, Sohee and” He says smirking at me slightly, relief passing over his features. “What’s the name of your other friend?” Jin asks smiling rather pleased with himself.

I roll my eyes to this. “Solbi, who is also a fan of Bangtan Boys,” I answer feeling more comfortable already with Jin.  “She and Sohee are have been fans since the start.” I explain smiling. This goes on for a while, Jin and I talking, us walking around.

 

~~~

Sohee and Solbi are waiting with Joonyoung by the time I get to campus, Joonyoung watching me rather amusedly as I stop short, shocked by their sudden presence. “Hurry up slow poke,” Joonyoung calls waving for me to keep walking.

I approach slowly, watching the two girls smiling at me. “Hey Hanbyul,” Solbi says grinning rather pleased. “How was your weekend?” She questions as we walk to get breakfast.

“Is this why you asked me to come early?” I ask turning to Joonyoung immediately. When I get a head nod I let out a long and tired sigh. “My weekend was fine, how was yours?” I ask politely, managing to stay on both feet and not trip.

“Pretty good, the movie wasn’t too bad, though Taejoon was in a mood while we were studying.” Solbi says while rolling her eyes. “What was with him?” She ask turning to Sohee immediately.

I turn to her as well watching curiously. “He was worried about Hanbyul,” Sohee says sympathetically. “Someone has been ignoring him a little bit lately, ever since the BTS signing weekend.” She says glancing at me curiously.

“I have not.” I say tripping over my feet, Joonyoung catching my arm before I fall on my face. “I’ve been busy with other things.” I say meekly trying to think if I’ve really been ignoring Taejoon. “I’ve had work, classes, homework, and” I say rambling feeling myself get upset with me. Have I really neglected him?

“Hanbyul, Taejoon is a big boy. He can handle it. Besides we all know you’ve been busy.” Joonyoung says gently calming me down.

Sohee grabs my hand smiling at me worriedly. “I shouldn’t have teased you like that,” She says apologetically. “I’ll buy breakfast for you,” Sohee says with a smile. I nod my head meekly, heading to take a seat at a table as I’m nudged in that direction.

Hiding my face in my arms I wait for my friends to come quickly. I’ve always had a bit of malicious relationship with cafeterias. “Aigo,” I hear Taejoon say taking a seat next to me, his hand patting my back soothingly. “Don’t those idiots know you hate this room?” He says in low calming voice.

“It’s just a room.” I reply stuttering over my words, instead of chuckling Taejoon simply sighs. “I worry you too much.” I say quietly.

Taejoon doesn’t respond right away, but when he does it surprises me. “I’ll always worry about you. You’re my best friend Hanbyul.” The sweet words are enough to draw me out of my arms and look over at my best friend. “That’s my girl.” He says encouragingly, a smile on his face has he pats the top of my head.



Updates should become weekly again
At least I'm hoping they will be!
I have three active stories and then
one shop I'm running so things should go fairly smoothly!
^^