Seventeen

Doll House

     "You look ridiculous," Jonign laughs, pointing at Sehun's head. He was in a hair cap. However, the laughter wasn't shared. Instead, Sehun gives him a look and crosses his arms.

     "What am I supposed to do if this is what I have to wear?" he mumbles, rolling his eyes. "Besides, what would happen if I didn't wear this and I died because my own hair got in me?" he questions. It was Jongin's turn to roll his eyes. 

     "Something tells me that's highly unlikely," Jongin replies. He smiles down at Sehun, admiring his bravery. The kid was about to go into surgery yet he didn't even show any kind of fear. 

     "What?" Sehun asks, rubbing his face, "Do I have something on my face?" Jongin shakes his head. "Then why are you looking at me like that?" he asks again. Jongin shrugs. "Are you still on the damn cap?"

     Jonging laughs again, but shakes his head. "I'm just admiring you."

     "Don't. That's creepy," he mumbles, rubbing his nose. "Besides, it's not like I'm curing cancer or anything. I'm just having surgery done."

     "To get rid of cancer," Jongin adds, but Sehun waves him off. 

     "Honestly, your amazement is making me cringe. You're acting like I've just saved the world," Sehun comments. 

     "Can I not be proud of my friend?" Jongin asks. Sehun gives him a weird look, but shakes his head.

     "No. Be proud of the doctors if you're itching to be proud of anyone." Sehun lets out a breath, leaning back in the hospital bed and looks at Jongin. "Can I tell you something?" 

     "Anything," Jongin replies, pulling a chair over for him to sit on. 

     "I'm actually really scared," Sehun says quietly as if people are listening in on a private conversation."

     "Being scared means you have something to go back to."

     Sehun's past words ring in Jongin's head and he's trying to think of something to say, but is stopped by a nurse walking in.

     "Oh Sehun?" she asks. Sehun nods his head. "Your birthday?" Sehun replies and the nurse smiles. "Are you ready?"

     "I was born ready," he jokes. The nurse laughs and steps aside to allow two porters to take his bed. When they roll Sehun out of the room, the nurse turns to Jongin. 

     "There's a waiting room I can show you to, if you'd like," she says. Jongin shakes his head, giving a small smile.

     "No, that's all right. I can find it."

 

-------

     Jongin finds the waiting room and Sehun's grandmother, taking a seat next to her. "He's gone in," Jongin informs, giving a light smile. She smiles back, patting his hand. 

     "I'm happy that Sehun could meet someone like you," she says. "He needs another person with a good head on their shoulders in his life."

     Something about her words makes Jongin wince. "Thanks," he replies robotically. A while ago, he might agree with that statement, but this minute he wants to point out that she couldn't be more wrong.

     "You know, he wasn't always like this," she says, pulling a magazine out of her bag, "he used to be such a good boy. And then his parents got promotions and got so busy. They hardly had time for Sehun, and when they moved to China, their only thoughts were their own and not of their son's. But thankfully, that's when he met Tao. Such a nice young boy. Always greeted elders with respect, made sure to take care of himself, his family, and Sehun. He'd even talk to me on the phone."

     "You met him?" Jongin asks and Sehun's grandmother nods. 

     "I went to visit my son in China a few years back. Of course, with their work, I hardly saw them. I mostly went out and explored the country. Tao was so passionate about his hometown, giving great detail and such interest in everything he showed me. It's a shame what happened to him. He was a good kid."

     Jongin nods. "Yeah, a real shame."

     He feels her pat his hand again and he looks at her. "But since he's found you, he's gotten into better habits now. I don't smell as much smoke coming off of him, and he's coming back at regular times now. You've really helped him, Jongin. Thank you for being such a good influence."

     Jongin winces again, but smiles at the elderly women. "I'm going to use the restroom," he says, standing up. When he reached the restroom, he pulls out his phone and texts Kyungsoo. 

     We need to talk.

     The reply is quick and Jongin is thankful.

     I agree

 

-----

     It's four hours later when the doctor walks out and talks to Jongin and Sehun's grandmother. There's a smile on his face and Jongin can't decide if it's one of joy or sympathy.

      "Ms. Oh?" the doctor asks. Sehun's grandmother nods. "I'm pleased to say that the surgery went just fine and Mr. Oh is in recovery now, cancer free."

     Jongin and Sehun's grandmother let out a breath of relief. "Thank the lord," his grandmother says, hugging Jongin. 

     "We ask that you don't stay long in his room so that he can rest. But you're more than welcome to head up there now, if you'd like." They both nod, and the doctor smiles. "I'll lead the way, then."


a/n: all right, so this chapter is short, but i was at a block because i was like ah i know what i want to happen in the next chapters but it's this damn chapter. i also apologize for not updating in over a month (whoops...time flies fast). i've been busy with school and playing league of legends (whoops again...) ANYWAY if you guys want to reach me, this is my tumblr which you're more than welcome to follow me. 

i'd also like to give a HUGE thanks to Shining_Hotaru_25  for making me a fanart to this story. like...i almost cried, you don't even understand. 

sorry again about this ty chapter, but you all know the excuse i give by now......

also, we're coming up to the end of the story, though knowing me, it'll take another five months before we actually finish so...