Memory of a Rainy Day

Circumstances: A Collection of KyuNa Stories

Memory of a Rainy Day

 


 

Yoona stared out at the droplets of water that were racing down the window. It was the third day of continuous downpour on their little town and she was getting sick of it. Ever since the electricity was cut off the night before due to strong winds, she had nothing better to do. She couldn’t read her books because the rain was too noisy, and couldn’t use her phone in fear of draining its battery. In short, she was utterly bored.

 

Yet her husband seemed to enjoy the rain. He did not complain nor whined in any way, even though he couldn’t play his favorite StarCraft game. To Yoona, it was a big wonder because her husband couldn’t seem to live without playing that game, even after they got married. But today he was just sitting by the window, holding a coffee mug in his left hand and staring out into the rain with a smile on his lips.

 

Yoona scooted closer to Kyuhyun on the couch, not touching him but close enough for him to hear.

 

“Kyu, aren’t you frustrated that it’s raining?”

 

The said man looked at his wife with wonder, and thought an awful while before setting his mug down on a nearby table.

 

“No. Why do you ask?”

 

“Well, I’ve never seen you enjoy a rainy day this much.”

 

Kyuhyun pursed his lips before answering. “It’s because there’s nothing to do that I kept thinking. While doing that, I came across our memories together, and one caught my attention. I was reliving it in my head.”

 

“A memory of us? Which?” Yoona asked baffled.

 

“The day we met.”

 

“Why did that catch your attention?”

 

“Because it was also raining that day,” Kyuhyun said with a smile.

 

 

 

FLASHBACK

 

Kyuhyun mentally slapped himself. He heard the news this morning. His dad who was even away on a business trip texted him while he was dressing. His mom kept reminding him over breakfast. His sister yelled at him before she left. So why the heck did he forget to bring an umbrella?

 

He wanted to hit himself so hard that if there weren’t any students passing by him on their way home with umbrellas, he would do it.

 

‘Stupid Kyuhyun. You knew it was going to rain, so why didn’t you bring an umbrella? And you call yourself smart?’ he scolded himself.

 

He looked at all the other students on their way home with envy. Those umbrellas seemed to be mocking him and made him want to hit himself more.

 

“What will I do now?”

 

He contemplated and decided to wait for the rain to weaken before heading home. But looking at the darks clouds in the sky that seem to have no end, the rain won’t be stopping for another half hour or so, and the thought of missing 90 minutes of his precious playing time (of StarCraft aka his favorite game) made Kyuhyun even more frustrated.

 

“I’ll just run home then. Surely, I won’t be too wet, right?”

 

But Kyuhyun knew it was a foolish plan. The distance from his high school to his house was at least a kilometer, and the route going there was not straight. No matter how fast he runs (which isn’t anywhere near ‘fast’ due to lack of stamina), he will get wet. Not to mention how hard it was raining and how much nagging and scolding he will get upon reaching their house.

 

He convinced himself that waiting for the rain to stop would be best choice for now. So he stood in front of their school entrance, busying himself with his phone to pass the time. When his phone showed a 20% battery life remaining, he stopped playing and went into a state of deep thinking.

 

It was about 20 minutes later when he heard the sound of footsteps behind him. He looked back to see a thin girl fumbling with her backpack. Uninterested, Kyuhyun turned and looked at the wet pavement in front of him.

 

“Here.”

 

Kyuhyun looked to his right and saw the same girl reaching out her hand that held a red umbrella.

 

“What?” he asked surprised.

 

“Seems like you’ve been standing here for a while. You were waiting for the rain to stop, weren’t you?”

 

“Yes. How could you tell?”

 

“You looked really bored and upset,” she said as she turned to him.

 

Kyuhyun gawked at the sight before him. Before his eyes was a girl with fair complexion, long, wavy hair and a pair of deep brown doe-eyes. She was, by far, the most beautiful girl Kyuhyun had seen, which accounts for a lot considering the number of girls he even had the interest to look at.

 

The girl must’ve noticed his funny stare because she looked at him with an odd expression. Kyuhyun snapped from his trance and gave her an awkward look in return.

 

“Anyway, what are you doing?” he asked, looking at the outstretched hand before him.

 

The girl looked at the umbrella and said, “I’m lending my umbrella to you.”

 

“Why?”

 

“You looked so sad standing there alone. The rain won’t probably stop for an hour. Are you sure you want to wait?” she asked him with a smile.

 

Kyuhyun felt his cheeks redden at the sight of her smile and mentally kicked himself, but he couldn’t disagree that her smile definitely made her more beautiful.

 

He composed himself before saying in a weirdly deep voice, “What about you?”

 

“I have another umbrella. There’s no problem,” she said as she brought out another umbrella and showed him. She offered the other to Kyuhyun again.

 

Kyuhyun took the umbrella she offered and muttered a shy ‘Thanks’. Clearly this girl was already affecting him five minutes after they met.

 

“Well, I guess I’ve done my job. I’ll be off now,” she said as she started to cross the yard to the school gates.

 

Kyuhyun stared at her retreating figure before realizing that he had to return this umbrella to her, which wouldn’t be possible unless he knew her name. He opened the borrowed umbrella quickly and dashed to her.

 

“Wait!”

 

The girl looked back at him with a smile.

 

“Your name,” Kyuhyun said.

 

“What?”

 

“I need to know your name, so that I can return this to you.”

 

Her doe-eyes sparked upon realizing that she did not introduce herself.

 

“I’m sorry. My name’s Im Yoona.”

 

“Yoona… Oh! I’m Cho Kyuhyun.”

 

“Hmm. Kyuhyun. Suits you,” Yoona said, smiling to herself.

 

Kyuhyun looked down in embarrassment as he felt his cheeks burn. He seriously couldn’t be blushing just because a girl said his name suited him. But this was the first time anyone, most especially a girl had complimented him. He felt himself smiling widely and temporarily forgot about Yoona until the girl poked his arm.

 

“Kyuhyun?”

 

“Ah! I’m sorry.”

 

Yoona chortled at Kyuhyun’s lousy way of covering himself. And the Kyuhyun on the other hand silently cursed for embarrassing himself in front of such a pretty girl.

 

“If you have nothing more to say, I’ll be going now,” Yoona said, interrupting his thoughts.

 

“Ah yes. Thank you for lending me this. I’ll return this tomorrow.”

 

“Sure. Just look for me. 2nd year Class A,” Yoona said.

 

“I will. Bye, Yoona.”

 

 “Bye!” Yoona said. She turned to walk the opposite direction from Kyuhyun’s route. Before she got completely out of his sight, she turned back and waved at him with a smile on her face.

 

Kyuhyun waved back at her and watched her as she disappeared behind the corner. With the umbrella still atop his head, he walked home slowly. The smile on his face did not falter as he made his way home, thinking about how he would be meeting Yoona the next day, and probably getting to know her more. Everything else became irrelevant that day. Even his StarCraft became completely forgotten.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

 

 

“Do you remember now?”

 

Yoona smiled at her husband and nodded. Of course she wouldn’t forget the day when they met.

 

“Thank you for lending me that umbrella, Yoong.”

 

“I would have lent that to anyone. It was mere coincidence that you forgot your umbrella.”

 

Kyuhyun laughed softly. “Hey, sometimes forgetting things can bring something good, right?”

 

“Yep, I guess,” Yoona said as she slightly shivered and hugged herself.

 

Her actions did not escape Kyuhyun’s eyes. He gestured her to come closer and adjusted himself so she could lie on him. Yoona moved closer to him and laid her head on his chest. Kyu in turn, wrapped his arms around her and sang their favorite song. Yoona listened, letting Kyuhyun’s sweet voice and the sound of the rain fill her ears as she drifted off to sleep.

 

“She actually dare sleep while I’m singing to her?” Kyuhyun chuckled to himself. He held Yoona tighter and looked out the window, not minding the noise the droplets made on their roof.

 

“This is really nice,” he said to himself. “I guess rainy days are just too special for me.”

 

END

 

 

 


A/N: Second story done! Sorry it took a few days to update. I don't know I thought of writing a fic about a rainy day when it is so hot right now, but well, I like rainy days, too. ^^ Thank you thank you for subscribing and commenting. I really appreciate how you think my fic brought back your KyuNa feels. *bows 90 degrees* I hope you enjoyed my second story! i'm working on another one and it will be out soon. Thank you as always!

 

-x- justchillin -x-

 

P.S. April 4: Happy birthday Eunhyuk-oppa!!! Ah Anchovy has gotten a year older, but he will forever be a kid, just like the rest of SJ. kkk Keep smiling that gummy smile oppa! Have a happy year ahead! XD Happy birthday! :)