Here We Are

Circumstances: A Collection of KyuNa Stories

Here We Are

 

A/N: Back after such a long time! I’ve been so busy with school that no stories come to my mind. Now that I think about it, I am not entirely sure I could still renew nor continue Duty to Uphold. I also want to continue, but time and school haven’t been kind to me lately. Despite all this, thank you to everyone who continue to support my stories. You’re the reason I still come back to this website even if my otp seems to have completely disappeared. Thank you all. I hope you enjoy this next story!


 

Kyuhyun and Yoona sat cuddled on the couch, witnessing the clock striking midnight and the people on television cheering as fireworks dance in the sky signaling the New Year. As always, Kyuhyun was thankful for having been able to spend another year with her while Yoona felt blessed to be with him. They had finally gotten together after all these years, and nothing more at the moment seemed to matter to them except for each other’s presence. It was a long and difficult road before they even had the guts to tell each other what they truly felt.

Having been friends since Kyuhyun entered the company, it took years for both of them to realize that they had feelings for each other that were certainly more than the feelings for a friend. But Yoona had taken longer to realize and accept that she felt that way towards Kyuhyun and eventually fell for another guy.

On New Year’s Day three years ago, Kyuhyun’s heart had shattered. The day before was spent in fun waiting for the New Year, but on the trip back home, he found some heartbreaking news: Yoona was dating someone else. And like anyone hoping for a budding romance that didn’t come true, Kyuhyun had become heartbroken. He had wanted to cry at the time, but seeing his fans awaiting him at the airport forced him to hold back his tears. It was a little later at the dorm where he spilled his heart out to his hyungs, who could only try to comfort him, for the maknae rarely ever broke down in front of them like this.

Throughout the year and a half that followed the devastating news, Kyuhyun kept a little distance from Yoona, enough that wouldn’t have to make her feel like he was avoiding her but enough for him to protect his already broken heart. He still offered her his smiles, his laughs, and his stories, but he had become awkward around her and almost always sought to avoid her when she came near, but Yoona never noticed anything. She didn’t notice Kyuhyun’s change in character, nor did she notice how he was trying to get away from her when they were alone together; she had just always assumed he was busy. No one else also filled her as to what happened, so she remained happy and unknowing while, Kyuhyun’s world was dim and lonely.

At the time, Kyuhyun thought that it had been the end: after all, Yoona was in the marrying age. She had a stable job and had a great personality. She could decide right there and then to get married. It would take very little for the love of his life to go to another man. He would lose her, and he wouldn’t even be able to fight for his feelings, because it would have been Yoona’s choice to choose the other guy.

Yet, as if the heavens were hearing his hidden prayers, the news came. Yoona and her boyfriend broke up, and Kyuhyun suddenly found the light. He rushed to tell her everything, but realized that she needed time to recover. It was a wonderful relationship after all. So, he left her alone for a while, but after she had recovered and he could sense she could face the days happily again, and might be able to love again, he wouldn’t miss a chance to tell her his deepest feelings.

Alas, the heavens were being too generous. The chance came sooner that he had even expected. Ever since the breakup, by some annoying fate or whatever, Yoona had come to him to spill whatever she felt-heck, she cried in front of him every time they talked about the breakup. Kyuhyun endured for a while, keeping his mouth shut and just patting her back, but it had become too difficult to keep in. And so one sunny day in October, a little more than a month after Yoona’s previous relationship ended, he told her how he felt, and stared as realization dawned upon her.

“You-op-oppa loves me?” she asked, trembling.

“For a long time now. I never had the guts to tell you, and I’m so sorry it had to be now.”

“But-but how?”

“I know this is too much to take in, so-”

Kyuhyun didn’t even finish his statement before Yoona began to sob, her shoulders shaking. He immediately ran to her, exclaiming, “Yoona? Yoong?” but Yoona only sobbed harder before she got up and walked away from him.

Yoona ignored him for weeks after the confession. While preparing for his first album, he had signed one for Yoona and added a short letter, but didn’t have the guts to give to her personally, as he was still too afraid to face her. As Kyuhyun sang “At Gwanghwamun” over and over again, his head and heart was only filled of Yoona. Never did he expect that the moment Yoona received his album, she would gratefully take a picture with it, but she still didn’t talk to him.

It would be a few days before Christmas before she even had appeared before him. It was his day off, and he had spent it in his dorm alone, as Hyukjae was out with his parents. Kyuhyun had succumbed to exhaustion and slept the whole day, until he was woken up by the ringing of the doorbell at around one in the afternoon. It couldn’t have been Hyukjae-hyung he said. He wouldn’t be back until tomorrow. And so, he groggily pulled himself out of bed and towards the door, where his knees almost buckled when he saw Yoona outside.

“Will you let me in?”

“Sure... I-I-I mean yes, come in.”

Yoona proceeded to sit on the couch in the dorm’s living room, and Kyuhyun followed her, sitting opposite her. A few minutes in awkward silence passed by before Yoona spoke.

“I’m sorry I ran away and ignored you for weeks.”

Kyu turned to her and saw her eyes tear up. He moved next to her and gently took her hand, saying, “I’m sorry, too.”

“No, oppa. It’s not your fault. I-I was surprised. I didn’t know you had feelings for me.”

“Yoong…”

“But I also am kinda stupid.”

“Why is that?”

“I also didn’t realize it myself.”

Kyuhyun was too confused to speak at the moment, and Yoona took this chance to convey her feelings for him. She inched closer to him and gently laid her lips on his. Surprised, Kyuhyun froze, his heart beating wildly and his face and ears reddening. When they pulled away, Yoona had a smile on her face, regarding Kyuhyun with warm doe eyes.

“Yoong, what was that?” Kyuhyun asked breathless.

“I love you too.”

If Kyuhyun’s eyes were wide open earlier during the kiss, they seemed like they would go out of his sockets the moment he heard those words. Too perplexed to talk, Kyuhyun just grabbed Yoona and enveloped her in a tight hug, afraid that this was all a dream and he didn’t really experience all that happened. Yoona let her tears fall as they hugged, and Kyuhyun wiped them before they locked lips once more.

The next morning, upon returning to the dorm, Hyukjae froze as he saw Kyuhyun and Yoona hugging while asleep on Kyuhyun’s bed, the sounds of Kyuhyun’s snoring absent for the first time in a while. It had taken a lot of persuading, even threatening, before the Super Junior members found out what made Hyukjae smile like an idiot as he joined them for breakfast.

Now, a few years later, Kyuhyun and Yoona had fallen asleep on the couch, cuddling for warmth as the fireworks still danced in the sky, both content that they could spend time in each other’s arms like this.

***

            A month before Kyuhyun’s enlistment, the netizens’ world became a flurry of activity after Yoona posted on her Instagram a picture of someone’s back with the caption “You don’t have to wait anymore.”

 


A/N: finally finished!!!! Thank you all. I hope and pray Kyu and Yoona really get together. Let’s all believe and keep the faith! Musketeers always! KyuNa forever!!!

 

-x- justchillin -x-