Murderer

For the better

I don´t know for how long I slept, but when I woke up I was greeted by darkness and a pair of chocolate-brown eyes staring into my own. Jolting back at least a meter I wondered how many heart attacks this boy wanted to trigger from me.
 
”Wow, you really startled me there for a minute.” I mumbled, letting out a breath I didn´t know I had been holding.
 
”I-I´m sorry... But what are you doing b-by my bed?” Luhan asked, looking at me with an adorably confused expression on his face.
 
”Oh, you had a nightmare I guess. You were crying and looked absolutely terrified so I had to calm you down somehow. I must have fallen asleep.”
Scratching the back of my neck in embarrassment, I dared to take a peek at his expression.
His eyes were still wide, but his mouth now made a perfect ”o” shape in understanding.
However, it didn´t take long for him to register exactly what I said, and when he did, his expression turned from understanding to sad in the blink of an eye.
Confused, I decided that I had to try and make him open up to me if I wanted to help him.
Why I wanted to help a person I barely knew was beyond me. I was easy-going and kind by nature, but I would have never guessed that I would want to go this far for someone this quickly.
 
Standing up from the floor and dusting off my pajama bottoms, I made my way over to his bed, sitting down next to him but leaving some space between us.
 
”When I say you looked terrified I really mean it. It was quite scary actually. I didn´t know how to make you feel better at first, but I guessed it worked after a while.” I told him, but his gaze stayed fixated at the floor, refusing to meet mine. Still, I took it as a sign to continue.
 
”The thing is...I don´t really know why but for some reason I want to get closer to you. I want to be there for you, make your nightmares go away at night if that´s what you need. Look, I don´t want to pry or come across as a creep, but as a friend. And as a potential new friend, I need to know what scares you.”
This time, he lifted his gaze a little bit, looking at my face for a brief second before looking at my hands instead.
 
”I want to know what happened to you, Luhan. Is the reason you are here the reason why you look so scared and why you have nightmares? Please Luhan, have faith in me, a stranger who wants to be your friend” I asked him, looking straight into his eyes once I caught his gaze.
 
Tears welled up in his eyes as they looked into mine, pitiful sound making their way up his throat as if trying to hold back sobs.
 
”Xiumin.” was all he said before leaning his head onto my shoulder, his hand into my pajama shirt. I shivered as his tears stained my shoulder and neck, but I couldn´t care less about that for now. Lifting the same arm he leaned on I supported his neck while his hair, my other arms circling around him, offering my chest for him to lean on.
 
”Shhh... You´re alright. I´m here.” I mumbled next to his ear, my word meant for him only.
 
When he finally became quiet and the only noise that could be heard was his sniffling, I moved him away from my chest, just enough for me to see his face.
His eyes were red and puffy, lips still shaking and his cheeks covered with tears.
 
”You alright now?” I asked, hoping I hadn´t broken him or anything.
All I got was a small nod in return.
 
Not knowing if I should leave it there or if I should ask him again, I felt a little bit lost.
That was until Luhan decided to speak.
 
”S-sorry for being such a mess. It´s just that nobody h-has ever said anything like that to me before. P-People usually don't like me very much.” he trailed off, looking as if someone had told him his puppy had been driven over by a truck.
 
”Why wouldn´t they? Yes, you seem a bit shy, but I´ve been with you all day and you seem like a nice enough person.”
How could anyone not like him? He is so adorable he almost made me choke on my food the first time I saw him. Maybe that was just me though.
 
”They don´t like me because... Because I´m a murderer.” he said so softly that I could barely hear it, his stuttering now gone since he´d calmed down a bit.
 
”What do you mean murderer? Why would anyone spread such a nasty rumor?"
 
”But it´s all true. I am a murderer. It´s my fault my cousin died when we were playing out in the street as I suggested. I was the one who pushed him so that he got hit by a car. And now it´s my fault that my parents are dead! If I hadn´t been talking to my dad while he was driving he would have seen the other car. It´s my fault that they´re dead now. It's my fault I am all alone now."
When he finally was done ranting and explaining everything to me, he was clearly struggling to hold back another wave of tears. 
 
Carefully not to startle him I moved his hands away and looked him straight in the eye.
 
”Luhan listen to me okay? Listen carefully. You will never be a murderer. Never. The death of your cousin was a freak accident, I am sure of it. The same thing goes for your parents. Nothing could have stopped it. Not you, nor anyone else. You are no murderer Luhan.”
 
When I stopped he was silently crying, and I put an arm gently around him for support. 
 
”Oh and the other thing you said. About being all alone. That´s not true either. Remember, you have got me now, and I´m not going anywhere.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A/N : So... what did you think? Any good so far? At least now you know why Luhan is in the hospital... But is that the only thing that´s haunting him?
Hehe I won´t tell you just yet *muahaha*
 
Anyway, I´ll continue this as soon as I can. I´m also currently working on some xiuhan drabbles which I plan to post soon, but I won´t neglect this story, I promise ^^

Update! This chapter has been updated for better flow and grammar.