The boy named Luhan

For the better

The rays of sunlight that peeked through the window blinded me as I opened my eyes. Blocking my eyes with my arm I sat up slowly, letting out a yawn as I did.
After a quick trip to the bathroom, I went back to my bed, huffing and puffing in annoyance.


Three days. Three boring days filled with white walls and ever so happy nurses. How was I supposed to survive a couple of weeks in this place?
After having a heart attack while working, I was immediately rushed to the hospital. When I finally woke up, I was told that I'd have to stay at the hospital until I could receive further surgery. No matter how much I protested, they wouldn't let me go.


So here I am now, staring at the blindingly white wall in front of me, and I am sure that if my heart won't kill me then boredom will. My thoughts got interrupted when a nurse opened the door to my room, wheeling in a cart stacked with trays of barely edible food. After reassuring the nurse (who always smiles too wide in my opinion) that I was fine, she took her cart and left the room in a rush. Taking a bite of my food I decided to stare out the window instead. At least clouds were more interesting than white paint.
Once again the door opened, and I could feel my previous annoyance returning. What could that nurse possibly want this time? Turning my head, I was ready to fake a smile at her like I always do, but instead, my eyes went wide. This time it was another nurse, and in front of her she was pushing a wheelchair carrying a really pretty boy. The nurse wheeled him over to the only other bed on the opposite side of the room, where he got off and climbed under the covers, still sitting up.


"Make yourself comfortable now. Here is your food, and your bag has been placed under your bed. If you need anything, just press the button over here, okay?" the nurse chattered, and the boy just gave her a faint nod. The nurse smiled at him before taking the wheelchair, leaving the room to busy herself with the other patients.
Curious, I looked at the boy more closely.
He really was pretty, although I still couldn't get a good look at his face.


"Hey there! My name is Xiumin and I guess we will be roommates for a while. Nice to meet you" I said, finding the silence unbearable.


Surprised at my sudden words, the boy looked up at me with wide doe-eyes, before lowering his gaze back to his hands which were gripping the sheets tightly.
"M-My name is Lu-Luhan. Nice to m-meet you" he stuttered out, his gaze still fixated on his hands. 


'Luhan huh?' I thought to myself. His name was quite adorable, just like him. When he had looked up for a brief second, it had been enough for me to get a clear look at his face. Big dark doe-eyes, a small nose, and pale pink lips. Adding his surprised expression he really looked like a little deer caught in the headlights.
Looking back at the boy named Luhan once more, I realized that he hadn't touched his food, or moved at all for that matter. Gaze still fixated at his hands, it looked as if he tried to make himself invisible. "Aren't you going to eat? I know that the food here isn't the best, but you can't just starve either".


Luhan once again gave me a startled look, before he took the tray from the bedside table, balancing it on his lap before taking a very small bite. 
After eating only about a quarter of what was on the plate, he put it aside once again, making me raise my eyebrows. Was he really not going to eat more than that?
I let it go though, not wanting to become like one of the nurses who would probably scold him for it later anyway.


For some reason, they didn't.
 
The day proceeded on and I found myself trying to talk to Luhan more and more. Just making small talk about nothing in general, even giggling at something funny one of us said. I still had to do most of the talking though, and Luhan barely looked at me when he spoke, but it was a start. I made no move trying to ask why he was in the hospital, figuring it was too early to pry for something so personal. When it was time to hit the sheets and sleep, I wondered if staying at the hospital maybe could turn out to be a good thing after all. Maybe I could even become friends with this Luhan guy?
Letting out a big yawn, I was looking forward to a long and peaceful sleep.

Which I never got.
 
I was startled awake by the sound of a scream, high enough to give me another heart attack, but apparently not high enough to alert any nurses. Looking for the source of the scream, I quickly sat up and turned my gaze towards Luhan, not liking the sight that greeted me.
Luhan was whimpering loudly in his sleep, hands fisted and his head thrashing back and forth. I threw the covers off myself, quickly making my way over to the other bed. He looked too pitiful in his sleep, cheeks covered with tears and eyebrows knitted together tightly. 
Protective instincts immediately setting in, I wanted nothing more but to protect the boy in front of me, even though I had only known him for a day.
Kneeling down in front of his bed, I slowly began to move my hand through his sweat-soaked hair, while still trying not to wake him up.
After a while, Luhan began to calm down as my fingers continued their journey through his hair. 
Looking once again at his sweat covered face, I couldn't help but wonder what possibly could've happened to make him cry so much. 


"Luhan. What happened to you?" I asked, but received no answer.

 

 

 

A/N : There you go! Hope you enjoyed the first chapter. I promise I'll update as soon as I can okay?

Please leave a comment with your opinion if you'd like, and I'll see you soon! ^^

Update! This chapter has been slightly edited for flow and better grammar.