Getting Closer.

Just Be Friends

Last class of the day.

I sighed as I sat down in my seat by the window.

History happens to be one of the few classes I don't have with any of my friends.

I looked around me, everyone was huddled in their own group.

I feel like such a loner.

I hung my head in embarrassment. I felt a light tap on my shoulder a few seconds after that.

I turned around cautiously to be greeted by that same smile from earlier in the morning.

"Oh. Annyeonghaseyo. Is there something you need Sungyeol-ah?" I wondered.

"Nothing much. It's just that you're the only person I know in this class." He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

How cute.

"Same here." I loosened up a little and turned around fully. "It seems that this is one of the classes I have with you."

"Seems like so."

How am I supposed to reply back to that?!

Before I could say anything more the teacher walked in.

Phew. Close call. I don't want it to be awkward so quickly between us.

"Good afternoon everyone. I am Mr. Woo, your history teacher for this semester. I know this is the last class but please, behave yourselves." He took out his history book along with a folder.

He opened the folder and scanned a piece of paper that was inside.

"Okay everyone, open your books to page 127. Read until 128." He told us, luckily everyone in the class didn't mind reading. It was better than listening to him babbling on about something irrelevant.

I opened my book and began to read to myself.

Oddly enough I could feel a pair of eyes staring at me. I brushed it off and continued reading.

So the North and South-

Then I felt something hit off my head. I scrunched up my face, I was getting slightly annoyed.

"What is it?!" I whispered, I tried to keep my expression calm.

"I'm bored." He leaned in and rested his chin on his hand.

"I can't do anything about that." I was about to turn back but he continued to talk.

"How can you even read any of this stuff. It's not important and we're not even gonna use it in the future." He took up a pencil and started to fiddle with it.

"Will you just stop-" I was cut off by a hand slamming on his table.

"Is there anything you two want to share with the class?" Mr. Woo asked sarcastically.

"No there isn't. That's why we were whispering." Sungyeol retorted.

The whole class giggled until Mr. Woo looked at them.

"Mr. Lee, I'm not sure whether you understand how I treat students that act the way you act." He warned.

"Oh please, do share." Sungyeol smirked, he crossed his arms.

The whole class burst into a fit of laughter. I watched in amazement.

How can he be so calm in a situation like this?

"Sungyeol! That is it. Detention for the week. As for you Ms. Ru, " He turned to me,  "I expected more from you, detention tomorrow after school."

He walked back to the top of the class, shouting at the students to hush up along the way.

"Nice going." I glared at Sungyeol before turning back.

"No problem." He smiled at me playfully.

~~

First day back and I already have detention. Umma's gonna kill me.

I walked dazedly as I dragged my messenger bag behind me.

I heard a the sound of footsteps behind me but I decided not to look, I doubted it was anybody I knew anyways.

"Aya~!" It was Rei, I looked back sleepily.

She was with Myungsoo, weirdly enough, Sungjong and Dongwoo was with them too.

Sungjong, being the most feminine person I know, is openly gay. Along with Dongwoo, since they are dating, but he didn't really seem like the type at first glance.

"Hi." I waved lazily.

"Something wrong?" Sungjong wondered as he linked arms with Dongwoo.

"No, nothing at all." I continued to walk and they fell in step with me.

I feel like the awkward third wheel.

"YAH! MYUNGSOO! I TOLD YOU TO WAIT FOR ME!" Undoubtedly, it was the infamous Sungyeol. He ended up walking beside me.

This idiot again.

"I told you I have to walk Rei home, I can't go home with you today." He replied calmly.

"We've got to go, this is our bus stop!" Sungjong waved cutely as he was dragged away by Dongwoo.

Now there's four of us.

"You've been awfully quiet." Sungyeol nudged me, earning him my death glare.

"I'm not in the mood."

"Well this is where we depart!" Rei pointed out as we reached a fork.

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow." I waved goodbye to them as they walked away.

I could still feel Sungyeol's presence beside me, I decided to ignore him and continue walking.

"Yah! Wait up!" He ran up beside me and I couldn't help but sigh. "Do you not want me here?"

Would it be too rude for me to say yes?

"No no. It's totally fine."I walked in a slower pace to match his steps.

"I might as well walk you home, it'll be rude for a gentleman like myself to let a lady go home alone." He chuckled and nudged me.

I laughed, "You don't have to. We probably don't live near each other."

"No worries, I live around the area." He slung his arm around my shoulder.

I looked up at him curiously, he looked back confused.

"I think we're pretty close enough don't you think? So I can have even a little skinship." He stated, making me laugh out loud.

"Yah! Don't be so honest!" I pushed him away playfully.

He pouted, then smiled before putting his arm around my shoulder again. This time I didn't stop him though.

We just walked like that until we reached my house.

~~

"So he walked you home?" Eun asked as she heard our conversation.

"Yeah he did." I replied, a little shocked since she had just entered the classroom.

"Wow. I wonder why." She put her bag down and pulled up a chair.

"Why? Is it that weird or does he do it all the time?" I leaned forward and rested my chin on my hand.

"Well, it's just that he lives no where near you." She stated.

"Yeah, that's true. He lives near Myungsoo which is the opposite way of our houses." Rei recalled.

My eyes widened in shock.

So he walked me all the way home, only to walk all the way back in the opposite direction?!

"Did you not know?" Min asked as she fiddled with the pen in front of her.

"Of course I didn't know! I only met him yesterday!" I put my head down, embarrased that he would do that.

He really is a gentleman.

~~

School's over. I'm gonna be seeing him in detention. It's gonna be the first time we see each other today since we didn't have any classes together.

I walked to the staff room slowly.

Just before turning the corner, I peeked to see if anybody was there already.

Unfortunately it was just Mr. Woo.

I trudged towards him but I put on a smile so he wouldn't ask questions.

"Ah, Miss Ru. I see that you are by yourself but that does not matter. So you'll be cleaning one of the classrooms today." He ranted on and I just nodded.

Tch. I can't believe he ditched.

He led me to an old classroom, "The teacher's were planning to make this into a new resource class but in order to do that we need it to be clean. There's supplies in the janitor's closet, so you just need to get that. I'll come back in 2 hours or so."

I nodded and he walked away, once he was out of sight I sighed loudly and pounded the wall with my fists.

That idiot! Now I have to do all of this by myself!

I pulled my sleeves up to my elbows.

Let's do this.

Just as I stepped out of the class I ended up bumping into somebody.

"Mianhaeyo." He, Sungyeol, bowed in a ninety degree angle.

"Uh. It's fine Sungyeol." He looked up and I smiled at him.

"I really am though. I totally forgot about detention but then I remembered you-" He stopped speaking, he looked at me intently.

"Is there something on my face?" I asked, blushing a little since he was staring at me.

"Oh. Nothing. We should get started." He put down his bad and followed me.

He muttered something along the lines of, "Lucky she didn't hear that."

~~

"Finally, we're done." We looked at the newly cleaned room.

"There's so much space here now that we see it clearly." I picked up the wet cloth and threw it in the bin.

"Yeah, well he doesn't seem to be here yet. We might as well go." He picked up his bag and slung it onto his shoulder.

I nodded in agreement, "I'll just put these things back."

"No, I'll do that." He took the bucket I was holding and grabbed the mop that was leaning on the wall.

"Uh. Okay then." I giggled as I watched him struggle to carry his bag and the supplies.

Once he came back we went on our way. We reached the gate and to my surprise he followed me.

"Sungyeol, isn't your house the other way?" I pointed out.

"Yeah it is but I'll walk you home." He casually replied.

"Why though?"

"Because I want to." He smiled.

"Alright then. So what did you do today?" I asked curiously as I linked arms with him.

"Well I..."


Aya's Note

OH GOODNESS ME. ty chapter, or so I think. It's dragging by a little right? Well the next chapter's a time skip, a few months or so. I don't wanna do it day by day so yeah. A few time skips happened in this chapter so I hope you weren't too confused. I think everything will be more interesting in the next chapter and onwards, depending though. I don't know what happens but my brain takes over and I might not realize what I'm writing.

Rant: Well, bad news. I won't be able to update frequently, at all maybe. School's starting on Monday, as much as I hate it, I have to be serious about school. This year is pretty important, it's my third year and I'll be having examinations which I'll be working towards. Which means STUDY STUDY STUDY. I might not even be that serious about it but I have to be, I have to get good scores. For those who don't know, which is probably all of you, here in Ireland every high school has these examinations. JCs [Junior Certificates - Sees what your current progress and ability is, as well as some other shizz] for 3rd years and LCs [Leaving Certificates - Scores have a meaning here, the higher you get, the more chances of different colleges.]

Comments, Questions, Constructive Criticism and Grammar Mistakes are all welcome.

Greetings: HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEE SUNGYEOL! ♥

Still it's no use, no use. It wasn't meant to be~