Goodbye.

Just Be Friends

I ran for a while, eventually I grew tired and hailed a taxi.

I sat in the taxi, my cheeks were damp, I was sure of it but I didn't bother wiping them. I knew this wasn't the end of my tears.

I knew I couldn't continue, not like this, this isn't the type of relationship I wanted. I wanted one full of happiness and love but all we've earned from this is pain and sufferring.

I've made my mind up but why am I so hesitant?

It's sad, my unchanging heart. Even though I love him, and even though letting go is hard, I have to tell him.

I thought back to the start of my day. I remembered that dream I had.

Turns out, it was true after all.

The taxi stopped and I just grabbed a handful of cash and handed it to him. I ran to the house, the tears were flowing again.

As soon as I got in, I ran up to my room and locked the door.

I slid down the door, I let myself cry without hiding it. I sobbed continuously, occassionally taking a deep breath and then repeating the cycle.

Eventually I stopped, the sobbing reduced to little sniffing and then it stopped.

I was so caught up in my own little moment that I didn't hear the knocking on the door.

"Aya! We're gonna be late! If this is your way of trying to stop the move it won't work!" My mother yelled.

"Fine!" I shouted back. I got up and grabbed my suitcases, I looked into the mirror and wiped away the dry tears. Luckily, my make-up wasn't as bad as I thought, my face just became a tad bit blotchy and my eyes puffy but I couldn't have cared less.

I looked around the room, it was so bare. The wallpaper seemed so dull without all the furniture and it felt so lonely to stand there.

I unlocked the door and made my way downstairs, the suitcases lugging behind me. I got into the car after putting the suitcases into the moving truck, I put on my earphones and the loud music blasted in my ears. I leaned against the window, letting my eyes droop then shut.

~~

Once I stepped into the airport, I froze. They were all there, all of my friends. They huddled in the centre of the airport holding up a banner, "We love you Aya!" was written on it.

The tears started up again, "You guys ..."

I ran over to them and we all group hugged. When we let go, I saw Sungyeol standing behind all of them.

"This boy wants to say something." Hoya pushed Sungyeol forward.

"We'll leave you to it." They all went off, not too far but far enough so that they wouldn't hear what we were talking about.

Sungyeol walked over to me slowly, "Look I'm sorry about-"

"It's okay." I cut him off.

I took in a deep breath and spoke again, "Sungyeol, I think it's best if we break up."

The world stopped and it was just us.

I thought I was determined but those words are still painful to say. I knew there was no turning back now, our love was already fading away.

"I think so too." He said quietly. He cupped my face a kissed my lips lightly.

I didn't want to cry again, but he made it so hard.

"Sungyeol, I'm sorry." I hugged him tightly, he kissed the top of my head.

"It's okay, I think it's for the best, for the both of us." I looked up and he wiped away my tears.

He continued, "You know, if wishes ever came true, I'd ask for us to be born again. I would search for you and meet you again."

I attempted a smile and he smiled too.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

I stepped out of our embrace and looked at him.

"Goodbye, Sungyeol."

I heard my name being called, I turned around and started walking. My heart hurt, my vison was hazy and yet I didn't look back.

This is goodbye, at least we tried, but now it's over.

I gave in my ticket and never turned back.

~~

I sat on the plane, it would be at least a few hours 'til we get there. I sat alone, which was good and yet I wanted someone to comfort me and tell me I would be happy. But I felt anything but happy, I was miserable and full of pain. I know it's my fault that I'm like this but I can't help it.

I buried my face in my hands and tears just poured out.

Sleep, that's what I need.

I sniffed and then nodded to myself. I leaned back and then I was gone.

 

"Aya, wake up!" A familiar voice said, the person nudged me and my eyes fluttered open.

Sungyeol was grinning sheepishly, that smile, the one that melted my heart, was present.

"You pabo! I was having a nice nap!" I hit him on the shoulder lightly.

He stuck his tongue out at me, "Well we're here already, so I couldn't just leave you here even I wanted to."

I got up and fixed my hanbok, "I can't believe you made me wear this."

"Well you look pretty nonetheless." He kissed my forehead and fixed the stranded pieces of my hair. "Now you look perfect."

I blushed, "The festival's probably starting, let's hurry."

We got off the train and made our way to the festival.

We played at the stalls, went to the temple for wishes and went to the stalls to buy some food. I got some pink cotton candy after our main meal.

"Do you want some?" I took a piece off the cotton candy and gestured to him.

"Aah~!" He opened his mouth and popped it in. "Yum."

I giggled, "Come on, I don't wanna miss the fireworks."

We went up a hill, away from the crowds. There was a tall oak tree in the clearing and a white bench beneath it.

"I found this place when the boys and I went on a jog." He led me to the bench.

The bright stalls glistened from where we were, you could hear the faint voices and laughter from below. The stars shone brightly and the moon made it all the more magnificent.

"It's so beautiful." I was mesmerised by the sight of everything.

"Not as beautiful as you." We met eyes and the firework showered the night sky.

Sungyeol leaned in and I closed my eyes.

 

I woke up with a start, I looked around and then frowned.

It was just a dream. But that was our first kiss, right? The day he brought me to the festival ...

"We are now in Jeju Island. Please take all your belongings and make your way to the arrivals area." The voice on the intercom said.

When I step out of this plane, everything has to be forgotten. I can't look back and I have to just cherish the happy memories.

I agreed with my silent promise.

I got my bag and got up. I stood up and made my way out of the plane.

"Thank you for taking Incheon International and Welcome to Jeju Island." The air hostess smiled at me politely.

"Thanks."

I took in a deep breath and stepped out.

We'll just be friends ...


Aya's Note

See, I'm keeping my promise!

I'm not sure if this is the second last chapter or the third last, I'm still contemplating. I'm very sad to say that the story is nearly over. I hope you enjoyed it so far and, please, stay with me until the end! I would really appreciate it if you could comment and tell me what you think about the story!

Anyways, I'll be writing the next chapter tomorrow. I know you don't like the suspense or cliffhangers but you'll just have to wait!

Greetings: Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all a have a lovely day today and God Bless you all!

Comments, Questions, Constructive Criticism and Grammar Mistakes are all welcome.

It's All Over~