Alternative Ending.

Just Be Friends

Seven years later ...

"I'm getting on the plane now! Don't worry! I'll be there!" I laughed as I talked to Rei. "I wouldn't miss your wedding for anything, Rei."

We said our goodbyes as I stepped into the plane. I took in a deep breath and walked to my assigned seat. I put my bag down and looked outside the small window.

It's been a while since I stepped in a plane. Last time was ... When we moved here to Jeju.

I sighed deeply but put a smile on my face.

Stop whining, Aya. Don't ruin this for yourself. You're about to meet your best friend for the first time in person, since last year.

I felt a sudden shift to my left, I looked in that direction and met with a male face. I smiled at him and he did likewise.

Damn, he's cute.

I shook my head, I could tell he saw but it's not like he knew what I was thinking.

"Uhm, miss?" He tapped me on the shoulder.

"Yes?" I composed myself and looked at him. "Is there something wrong?"

"I was wondering if you know Seoul very well. You see, I'm going there for a vacation and I'm not very familiar with the city. Would you care to help me?" He blushed and smiled at me sheepishly. He took out a map and a pen.

"Oh yeah, sure. I know my way pretty well around Seoul. I'd be glad to help." We exchanged smiles again and then I took the pen from him.

After who knows how long, I managed to answer all his questions. We shared stories along the way too. His name was Dongwoon, he's a musician and he's travelling a lot. Suprisingly, it is his first time to ever visit Seoul. He's been to many other places but Seoul just never came up on his list of places, not until now at least. He said he was going for some event, he didn't say what specifically but he did say he wasn't really planning to go but he had a gut feeling something good would come out of it if he did.

"Wow. Thanks Aya." He put the map and pen back in his bag and then turned to me. "I'm glad I decided to go to Seoul today, if I didn't I would have missed a pretty face like yours."

I laughed, "Thanks, I'm glad I did too Dongwoon. If it weren't for me you could have been stuck talking to someone snobby."

He laughed with me this time. This was nice, after my last break up, which was about two months ago, this was probably the most  decent conversation I've had with a guy.

I checked my watch to see what time it was, it had already been two hours since the plane took off. A part of me felt happy yet I wanted to relish the moment of befriending Dongwoon.

"Komowa Dongwoon." I said quietly, he raised his eyebrow as he drank from his cup.

"Why? I thought we said our thanks earlier on." He chuckled and waited patiently for an answer.

"Just ... Thanks. You've made a great start to my day." I patted him on the back and I looked out the window.

In just a few hours, I'll be there in Seoul ...

I played with the edge of my skirt subconsciously, I bit my lip and closed my eyes. I couldn't panic now, there was no backing out. The only way I'd get out of the plane is to jump out and if I don't have the guts to go to a wedding then how do I expect myself to jump out?

I drummed my fingers against the arm rest and took in deep breaths.

"Uh, Aya. Are you okay? You look like you're about to pass out at any second." Dongwoon held my shoulders and looked me in the eyes.

"I think I'm just a little bit tired." I lied.

"If, that's the case then just get some rest." He took off his jacket, put it around my shoulders and then he lay my head on his shoulder.

"Komowa Dongwoon." I closed my eyes and fell into dreamland.

~~

"So here's my number." I held out the piece of paper and we exchanged. We had agreed that exchanging numbers would be the best if he lost his way and just so we could keep in touch.

"I'll leave first then!" I waved to him as I lugged my luggage behind me.

I was excited, definitely, but I walked slowly. I tried to tell myself it was only the fact that I'd have to deal with the wedding vibes of Rei but I knew I was lying to myself. I was feeling guilty.

It's not like I can just magically fall for anyone. As much as I wish it could be Dongwoon or any guy for that matter would be fine!  At least Dongwoon was nice guy, I doubt that I'll see him again though, let alone be able to date him. And to think that I'm coming back to Seoul as a single woman. I feel so lame. It makes it look like I haven't gotten over him.

I took out my phone and dialled Rei's number. I put the phone in between my ear and shoulder as I tried to stuff my wallet back into my bag.

"Moshi moshi~!" Rei sang as she answered.

"Yah, why are you using Japanese? Anyways, I'm on my way out. You're here right?" I shook my head, Rei will always be Japanese Rei.

"Aya-chan~!" She giggled, "Don't worry, that's the last of that. I'm here already so hurry!"

"I'm literally just about to head out, where are you?" I asked as I stepped into the arrivals area.

"I'm at the- I SEE YOU!" I could hear those lasts words both from the phone and to my right. I looked to my right to see Rei jumping up and down and waving her hands frantically.

My face expression softened and I smiled. I put my phone back in my pocket and walked over to her. She was jumping like a maniac and by now, we were getting a lot of weird looks.

"Annyeong!" I managed to say before she enveloped me in a bear hug.

"Annyeong! I've missed you so much!" She let go of me and grinned. "I haven't seen you in forever!"

"We video chatted last night, Rei." I stated and we began to walk to the parking lot.

"That doesn't count! I mean, I haven't seen you in human flesh. I see you as a pixelized person half the time." She laughed and we reached her car.

I put my luggage in the trunk with her help and then we were off.

"So that's the ring he gave you, huh?" I asked as I saw her hands on the driving wheel.

"Yep, it's beautiful isn't it?" She held it up and looked at it lovingly. It was silver, it was molded together with another piece of silver that made a sort of infinity sign and it was encrusted with turquoise gems.

"It is." I said quietly. I looked outside the window and watched the scenery change from motorways to city to, finally, the suburbs.

Wow. It's changed so much here.

There were new houses, apartments were built up and there was a hotel, if I'm not mistaken. It the more 'child-friendly' areas there was a playground. We passed by my house too, I saw that there was a family living there. The children were outside, basking in the sunlight whilst their parent's watched them from the patio.

I smiled to myself, It's nice to know someone is making happy memories there.

We drove for a few more minutes and then we turned to an unfamiliar street.

"Is this where your new house is?" I turned to Rei who was humming a small tune. She stopped humming and nodded.

"Yup. It's not permanent though, we're just renting for the time being. I don't think either of us want to stay stuck here in Seoul for the rest of our lives but we still have to see our options." She explained, I nodded to show I was listening.

The car came to a stop and we got out to get my luggage. I walked up the path to their temporary home. I was amazed, I thought they would have a small house but it was fairly big.

"And this is home." Rei opened the door for me. I dragged my luggage along and I peeked inside.

I saw Myungsoo sitting on the couch petting a white dog. The dog looked at me and cocked his head. Myungsoo looked up and smiled.

"Annyeong, Aya." He waved slightly and then got up. "I'll help you with those." 

"It's okay, really." I said but he pryed them from my hands. He disappeared upstairs and then Rei led me to the kitchen. The dog, who I found out was named Dubu, followed us too. I picked her up and she actually let me, which was a surprise to Rei.

"Wow. She hardly adapts to newcomers so fast. You should feel special!" She giggled. "You want anything?"

"I'm fine. So what are we gonna be doing for the next few days?" As soon as I said those words I knew I was in for a long night.

"Well, there's loads to do! First we have to go to ..."

 

The following week ...

I watched everyone run around frantically, I suppose I should be doing the same but I was bust trying to keep Rei calm.

"Oh my god, what if I trip while I'm walking down the aisle? What if my dress gets caught on something? What if I don't remember my vows?! I don't know what to do with myself, Aya!" She rested her on my shoulder and lightly sobbed.

She's been like this since two days ago. I guess everything's getting to her but I know she's just worried everything won't work out as planned. She's such a perfectionist but she's strong enough, she'll just need to let everything out first and then she'll be fine.

"Don't worry, everything will be perfect." I patted her on the back and she looked up at me then smiled.

"Thanks, Aya. I'm glad you're here with me." She got up and decided now would be the time to change into her dress. We were only hours away from the wedding.

Maybe I should change into my dress too.

I got up and left the room, even though I am the Maid of Honor I would be helpless. Min and Eun were helping her in my place, they know how bad I am under pressure so they decided to take my job.

I closed the door and made my way to downstairs. I had forgotten that I left my dress there. I walked to the small closet under the stairs and took my dress out.

In the distance, I could hear two voices. One was Myungsoo's and the other was Sungyeol's. My eyes widened and I ran back upstairs. I ran into my room and slammed the door shut.

Oh god. He's here.

I knew he was gonna be the Best Man but I actually never saw him, Myungsoo had been going to Sungyeol instead of the other way around. I think it was partially because Rei forced him to do so and partially because Sungyeol didn't wanna go here either.

Aya, calm yourself. You were bound to see him anyways!

I slapped my face and looked at myself in the mirror. I nodded at myself and then changed clothes.

I zipped open the bag my dress was in and my lips widened into a smile as I saw what the dress looked like. Rei had only showed me glimpses of it since she wanted me to be surprised and even though I got the dress yesterday I never managed to take a good look at it until now.

I took it off the hanger and wore it. The feel of the soft material against my skin was familiar, it was like the time I went to the other wedding with Sungyeol. I zipped it up and took a look at myself in the mirror. I put my hair to one side and turned to the side to get a better glimpse.

Not bad, Aya. Not bad at all.

I smiled again, maybe today wouldn't be so bad after all. I felt genuinely happy, for the first time in years.

Maybe I should try talking to Sungyeol again. It's been seven years after all, I'm sure that it won't be awkward or anything ...

I took a good look at myself and then sighed.

Who am I kidding, of course it'll still be awkward. I mean I know we agreed on just being friends but I can't help but miss that dork.

I nodded at myself in the mirror.

You can do this Aya! Go talk to him! It'll be okay!

I opened my door and then walked down the stairs. I made it to the end of the stairs and then I grew doubtful.

Wait a minute. What are you doing Aya? This is making it seem like you never got over him!

As if on cue, an inner voice answered.

But you never did get over him.

I sighed and turned around. I don't know, maybe we really just needed time apart but that time apart gave me a lot to think about. We broke up for a reason, we were both unhappy and we were both just hurting each other by trying to act like there was nothing wrong. I knew that I loved him, and truthfully, I still believe that I do. Maybe he doesn't feel the same, I wouldn't blame him though. We broke up and all I did was leave. Was it right for me to run away like that? I didn't have a choice. But if I really wanted to make a difference I would have come back to him, wouldn't I?

I sighed, I was just contradicting everything and I knew that wouldn't change anything. I turned around and walked back up the stairs.

I walked up until the middle of the stairs and then I heard footsteps and a familiar voice.

I heard a short, quiet gasp and then the person spoke, "You look beautiful, Aya."

"Sungyeol?" I turned around and we locked eyes.

It felt like I was looking into his eyes for infinity, I saw everything that I had left behind that day. I saw the goofy boy I fell for, the genuine side of him when he stayed with me while I was in the hospital, the caring side of him when he carried me all the way home when I told him I was tired and the loving side of him when he promised me that he'd do anything for me.

I looked down, feeling awkward and embarrassed. I gathered all my courage and looked back up.

"Hi, Sungyeol." I smiled and waved to him awkwardly.

His face perked up and a smile crept up to his face.

At that moment, I swear, my heart skipped a beat.


Aya's Note

Okay, here's the alternative ending. This was actually my first draft of the real ending but then I thought about it and I decided a sadder ending would be better. I still decided to put this up though, just because I felt it was waste to erase it and just for those who wanted a happier ending.

This is officially goodbye to this story though, I'll update again once, which is when I get my review! It'll be posted up as the next chapter, I hope you all look forward to that too!

Until then, I bid you all adieu! I love you all and thank you yet again!

You touch my heart baby~