Everything Starts with a Hello.

Just Be Friends

I opened my eyes slowly, the sudden warmth on my face woke me up from my peaceful slumber. I sat up and glanced at the clock on my bedside table.

8:03 am.

A few more minutes and I'll get up.

I lay back down and threw my pillow on top of my head.

"Ru Aya! Get your up now or you'll be late!" A woman, most likely my mother, shouted in my ear.

I peeked out from underneath the pillow, still-half asleep.

"Young lady, do you realize what time it is? It's 8:45!" She threw my blanket onto the floor and put her hands on her hips.

"Take a shower and I'll drive you to school." She shook her head before leaving the room.

I sat there, a little confused about what just happened.

Oh yeah, it's the first day of school today.

My eyes widened at the sudden realization.

I got up and yelled into the open air, "Umma! Why didn't you wake me up sooner?!"

~~

"Komawo umma!" I spoke quickly and gave her a peck on the cheek before stepping out of the car.

I sprinted to the front door, hoping that Mr. Lim wouldn't be there.

Unfortunately, he was. I tried to blend in with the other students entering but to no avail.

"Ms. Ru!" He signalled me to come over.

"Annyeonghaseyo seongsaeng-nim." I bowed my head slightly before looking up at him.

He eyed me then he spoke, "You're lucky it's the first day of school but in future do not be late. Now hurry along to your class."

I bowed again before running off, "Kamsamnida!"

2-I, 2-I. Ah, here it is!

I peeked in before entering.

Oh! The teacher isn't here yet!

I opened the door fully and heard a slightly high-pitched voice.

"Aya~!" It was my bestfriend Rei. She was in the middle of the classroom along with our other friends.

"We thought you wouldn't be able to make it in time." Min, the oldest, said nonchalantly.

"Don't be like that, we know you missed her too!" Eun, the tallest, hit Min on the back playfully.

We all laughed, it had been 1 month since we last saw each other.

I missed them, I spent my summer with my cousins in Busan whereas they all went on vacation abroad.

Rei went back to Japan, that was no surprise since she was born there. Min went to America with her older brother since her parents live there and Eun went to France since she wanted to move there when she's older, she goes there every three years so it seems.

"M." Min started off.

"A!" I mused.

"R~!" Rei sang.

"E!!" Eun finished off and we all bumped knuckles.

We always say that when we meet, Min taught us that the first letter of our names could be formed into an English word which, if translated, meant 'Female'. People who don't know us would think we were crazy but in the school we were known as the 'Hangul Girls' because each of our names only have 12 syllables.

"Girls, please take your seats."

We instantly took our seats without looking at who spoke, we didn't even have to guess who it was.

Mrs. Sagong made her way to the top the class, "Welcome back everyone, I trust you had a good and productive summer. Yes?"

"Neh." Everyone answered in unison.

"Alright then, I'll pass out all the schedules. Don't lose them." She warned.

Everyone mumbled under their breath, "2Sangong is already forty. Why does she have to act like she's 50."

"Is there anything you'd like to say Mr. Lee?" She stood in front of Sungyeol, one of the boys in my class.

"I was just saying that you look younger everytime I see you." He flashed a smile at her, everyone knew compliments was the way to go whenever you got into trouble.

Everyone giggled, Mrs. Sagong on the other hand was slightly pink in the face.

"Oh, why thank you Sungyeol." She continued her way around the class, still smiling.

The bell rang loudly, signalling that homeroom is over.

"I'll see you all tomorrow then." She left the class and everyone burst out laughing.

"Nice one Sungyeol!" Dongwoo, one of his friends, nudged him.

"That was nothing. Wait 'til we get to Mr. Lim's class!" Woohyun mused.

"Aya, you haven't met my cousin yet have you?" Eun asked me as she played with her hair.

"Yeah, it's been a year since I moved here but I don't know him. We only have one or two classes together." I recalled.

"I'll introduce you then!" Eun grabbed my arm and we made our way over to Sungyeol.

Min and Rei followed us, Rei made her way over to Myungsoo. She'd been head over heels for him since day 1 but he always avoided her. Though they were like that at the start, they've become friendlier and eventually they started dating.

"Myungie~!" She linked arms with him, he looked down calmly and patted her head.

"Aya, this is Sungyeol. You probably know that much." Eun turned to Sungyeol.

"Yeolie, this is Aya. You two haven't met yet right?"

"Yeah we haven't." He turned to me.

"Hello. Nice to meet you." He held out his hand and smiled at me.

That smile, it was slightly different up close, it made my heart melt.

"Oh-uh-yeah. You too." I could feel my cheeks burning up a little.

I shook his hand awkwardly. His grip somewhat tightened, causing me to look up at him.

"There you go, it's nice to see that pretty face of yours." He smiled again.

"I-I have to go to my next class." I stuttered as I took my hand away. I grabbed Rei and hurried out of the class.


Aya's Note

1Min - 나의 ~ Aya - 아야 ~ Rei - 레이 ~ Eun - 은혜

2Sagong - It can also mean 40. It's a pun they put on her.

Well there's the first chapter. Sorry, it's a little boring right? And my writing skills may have not met your expectations so I truly apologize for that.

I'm really happy to see people subscribe to this! It's a great feeling! I hope you all stick with me and this story, we will go on this journey together~! [Oh god. I'm so lame.]

I hope you all enjoyed this nonetheless. Please comment on your thoughts!

Feel free to criticize, now I don't mean go all out hating the fic, constructive criticism and grammar mistakes are very much welcomed.

Rant: I was thinking that I might use another song, I'm not definite on that yet but I'm not replacing the current song. It just seems that the current song isn't bound to happen until near the ending so I still need a song to write about for the start and middle section. /: Also, the lyrics I put at the end of my note will usually just be what I'm listening to at the moment. It doesn't really have anything to do with the story and it's the translated version.

Your heart that I can't have, Break down~