Once Upon A Time In China (Hankyung&&YOU)

SUPER JUNiOR&&YOU; [ ONE SHOTS ]
Author’s Note: “____” stands for you.
.o0o.
Title: Once Upon A Time in China
Author: Natalie1093
Characters: Hangeng/Hankyung&&YOU

.o0o.
“Once Upon a Time in China…”

“There was a boy and a girl...”

“The girl was like a princess…”

“But the boy was a pauper...”

“And that meant that..”

“They can never be together..”
.o0o.
“Hankyung Oppa!!” I turned around and waved, fans screamed as I waved to them. I then turn away and enter the car and close the door.

“Hyung, are we going home now?” Ryeowook asked me, I looked at him and nodded in reply. Everyone in the car let out a sigh of relief. I looked behind me and saw another car following us, the other members inside must be also relieved that we were going home. I looked at Kyuhyun who was sitting next to me, busy with his game. I looked over Leeteuk hyung who was sitting next to Kyuhyun and was sleeping. I turned to look out of the window and wait for our arrival at our dorm.
.o0o.
“Hyung, wake up!” I said as I nudge Leeteuk to wake up. Leeteuk Hyung opened his eyes and let out a yawn. He looked at me and at the other members who were already out of the car and blinked.
“We’re home.” I informed him. Hyung’s face instantly brightened up and he got out off the car. Now all 13 members were proceeding to enter the door of our dorm building.

“Pali! I wanna rest now.” Heechul whined as he was already in front of the door. We quickened our pace as we also wanted to rest.

We entered the lobby and raced towards the open elevator. Some of us ended up wrestling for it. Ahh.. This wouldn’t be happening if we just followed the limit rule of the elevator, we still could use the 2nd elevator. But noo, we just had to follow Heechul’s bright idea.

“Why don’t we just get all in at the same time? We’d probably fit! ” Heechul’s voice repeated in my head. Ahh, he always gets us in trouble.

In the end, Me,Leeteuk Hyung, Kangin, Shindong, Donghae and Yesung were the ones who weren’t lucky enough to get inside the elevator.

“Do you want to use the stairs or wait for the elevator to come back?” Leetuek Hyung asked us. I shrugged, I’m fine with whatever.Yesung didn’t say a word, so did Donghae.

“Hyung, they say it’s good for you to use the stairs.” Shindong told Leeteuk Hyung. We nodded in agreement.

“And it’s good for old people too. Right hyung?” Kangin added as he places and around Leeteuk hyung’s shoulder. Now, the good thing about Leeteuk hyung is that unlike Heechul, he isn’t touchy getting old and can accept the fact that everyone has to get old. He just can’t accept he might be growing old alone.

I looked at Leeteuk Hyung for his response; He looked at Kangin and laughed. We rolled out eyes and left Leeteuk and proceeded to the stairs, after taking a few steps and stopped. We turned around to see Leeteuk hyung staring at a poster. We walked back to where Leeteuk hyung was, we tried snapping him out of it, and we even poked him. But he didn’t budge.

“Yah! Hyung, let’s go upstairs!” Kangin whined. We looked at the direction where Leeteuk was looking at. As we looked at the poster, we didn’t say anything. Now we understood why he couldn’t move, why he can’t say a word. The poster showed a couple looking lovingly at each other while riding on the merry-go-round. The girl was sitting side saddle while the guy stands next to her and they look at each other as if it would never end.

I looked at Leeteuk hyung, his face had sadness and regret written all over it. I sighed. I knew Leeteuk’s story, all of the members did. Most of us knew each other’s story. I heard a “ding” sound. All of us, except Leeteuk hyung turned our heads to see the elevator came back and now opened, waiting for us to get inside. We looked at Leeteuk who sighed and turned to look at us and smiled.

“ We should get inside the elevator now. “ Leeteuk said. He led us to the elevator. Inside the elevator we were quiet, most of us inside were probably thinking deeply. Like what Sungmin said “Fame is like each celebrities’ Pandora’s Box.”

.o0o.
We entered our respective dorms, Yesung and Ryeowook were on the 11th floor and Me, Leeteuk Hyung, Shindong and Kangin were on the 12th. Everyone proceeded into their rooms to get some shut eye. As I passed by Heechul’s room, I heard a piano being played. I opened Heechul’s door and saw him playing the piano. Ahh.. he saved a lot of money for that piano, and had find one that would fit his room. I leaned by the door and listened to him play, I have heard him play song for how many years now, and ever since we met he played this song. At first, I thought it was weird to play the same song over and over again and make mistakes but then again, this was Heechul. I broke from my thoughts as I heard Heechul let out a frustrated yell as he stood up and kicked his seat.

“Aiishh.. ever since I was 16 until now, I can’t even play it right! “Heechul said. I stayed quiet as I let him rant. I watched him quietly as he sit down on his bed and looks at the piano with a piece of paper on it.

“Aiishh.. this woman must’ve made this song just to torture me! It seems that only she can play this song.” He said as he runs his fingers to his hair. My ears perked up, I knew that the song was made by a girl but this was the only time he said it with own words. When I asked him before if a woman made that song, he just nodded and left it to that.

I looked at him as he sets his eyes on the piece of paper, his expression changed from an angry one to a different one. His expression was now calm and sad; he gave a bitter smile and went back to the piano. He held the piece of paper and placed it back on the piano; he took his seat and placed his fingers on the keys.

“Hankyung, you should sleep. It’s really late.” I heard him say before he started to play again. I smiled and went to my room; you can never really trick Kim Heechul.
.o0o.
After I took a bath and wore my PJs, I laid on my bed, unable to sleep. I listened to Heechul who was still playing at the other room, that song now seemed to be a lullaby for us. I recalled the name of the song “Remember” I never really held that piece of paper, but I remember seeing the title before.

As I listen to Heechul playing “Remember “, I noticed that we never knew Heechul’s story, we asked him numerous time but all he said was...

“It can’t tell you, it’s too painful even thinking about it. Fame took something away from her in order for me to claim it.”

I really couldn’t understand what he meant, but the song he’s playing brings me memories that I don’t want to remember. I sighed and sat up and took a book out under my bed. I traced the words written on the cover of the book:

“Written by: Ren _____”

I opened the book to the title page and read what it said.

“Once Upon A time in China...” I haven’t spoken in Chinese in a while, it was refreshing. But my heart wrenched as turned the page and read on...

“There was a boy and a girl, the girl was like a princess but the boy was a pauper and that meant that they can never be together...”

I was a tear drop on the page, I touched my cheek, it was wet. I wiped it off and continued to read as memories of my childhood come into place..

[ Flashback ]

“Hangeng!” I turned around and saw a girl running towards me with tons of books with her. When she had finally reached me, she dropped her books and sat next to me on the grass.

“ Ren _____, you should listen to me when I say, don’t carry your books everywhere you go.” I told her. She looked at me as if I was stupid and stuck her tongue out. I laughed. She pouted and took a book; she opened it and started to read.

I looked at her as she concentrated on reading, I took note how her eyes react to every word she reads and how she bites her lips when she doesn’t like what was happening and how she smiles when she reads a romantic scene for the leading characters. I know, I sound creepy but its true though, the way she reads is so fascinating to me.

Suddenly, she looks away from the book and looks at me with an annoyed expression on her face. I looked at her innocently; lately she has noticed that I observe her when she’s reading.

“Hey, stop looking at me like that.” ____ said. She then placed her hands on my cheeks and turned my face to look at the river bank. I looked back at her and stuck my tongue out and laid my head on her lap. She let out a sigh and let me be and went back to reading her book.

After a few moments of lying on her lap, I sat up. She ignores my sudden movement and continues to read her book. I took her book away from her hands. She looked up at me and raised an eyebrow.

“Wo Ai Ni.” I said. She looks at me, eyes wide. She then turned away, my heart sank.

“You know we can’t be like this.” I heard ____ say, her back facing me. I sighed and looked down. She was right; we both have different statuses in life. Here, she was called by their servants, employee’s and almost everyone “Princess ____”. While I was not rich, nor poor but next to her, I might as well be a pauper. It was a miracle that her parents even let us be friends. Usually, people with different backgrounds are said not to be mixed.

“I know.” I replied. She looked back at me and took my hand in hers. She looked down to hide her blush.

“If only, I wasn’t born rich. Things could’ve been easier, am I right?” ____ said. I pulled her into a hug. She was right, thing would’ve been easier if she wasn’t born rich. She could be writer like she wanted. She could live a free life and most importantly we could be together. But life wasn’t like that, it wasn’t fair.

“Wo Ai Ni.” ___ whispered in my ear and at that I held her closer.

[ End of Flashback ]

“Wo Ai Ni.” The Princess whispered as the Pauper held her closer.

I read that line while remembering the exact thing that happened before. I sniffed and wiped away my tears yet again. This was enough for today, my heart couldn’t take anymore. It hurt too much to read on. I closed the book and hid it back under my bed.

I lay down on my bed and covered myself with my blanket, listening to Heechul still trying to play his song. I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep as soon as Heechul finished.
.o0o.
“Hankyung! Wake Up.” Leeteuk Hyung said as he shook me. I lazily opened my eyes and let out a groan signaling hyung that I was already awake. At that, Leeteuk gave me some instructions, I nodded in response after a while, Leeteuk hyung went out to wake up the other members.
I rubbed my eyes and blinked a few times. I let out a big yawn. I got out of bed and went to my study desk and took my phone. I pushed a few buttons and looked at my schedule. Ahh.. today, super junior will be visiting the children’s orphanage. I was supposed to read the kids a book. I looked at my bed. I had tons of books under it, I’m just afraid that I might get the wrong one.
I decided to prepare myself first before picking out a book. I got out of my room to see everyone awake and busy preparing. I felt a tap on my shoulder; I turned around to see Heechul smiling at me.

“Hankyung ah. Next time when you enter my room, make sure to close the door.” Heechul said. I nodded. Heechul patted my head and walked off.

“Heechul!” I called out. He stopped and turned around to look at me.

“You’ll get it right someday.” I encouraged him, Heechul smirked and gave a victory sign, now more determined to get the song right. He turned back and continued with his preparations. I sighed and went along with my preparations.
.o0o.
“Okay, everybody ready? Make sure you didn’t forget anything.” Leeteuk hyung reminded us. We looked at each other. Suddenly, I remembered something.

“Ah, hyung! I have to bring a book to read for the kids. Wait a minute.” I said as I ran to my room.

“Okay! We’ll just be in the 11th floor with the others!” I heard Leeteuk hyung say and I heard a door close. I hurriedly bent down under my bed and took out a book, not caring to look at it. I rushed out of my room and out of the door. I took the stairs down to the 11th floor. But when I got there, no member was to be found. They were now probably downstairs, checking attendance. I rushed towards the elevator and pressed the open button.
I arrived clearly tired from all the running. My manager reprimanded me for being tardy and ushered me to enter the bus. As I entered, as expected everyone was goofing off. Kangin was making fun of Eunhyuk and Donghae, Leeteuk hyung was sleeping. Yesung was playing “kebbi kebbi” with Ryeowook. Heechul was singing randomly while looking at his mirror. Kibum and Kyuhyun were facing each other but their eyes were concentrated on their own PSP, they were probably competing against each other again. Shindong and Siwon were looking at Yesung and Ryeowook play and laughs as Yesung complains that he keeps losing.

I smiled at my members and proceeded to a vacant seat. I took a seat with great timing since the bus already started moving. I looked down at the book I took. My eyes grew wide; this was the last book I expected to bring. I couldn’t go back to the dorm for a book, my manager would kill me. I sank down on my seat and sighed. I took note that I have the habit of sighing too much.
I looked at the book once again; it was the one I read last night. I took a deep breath and opened it once again and continued to read where I left off.

“I wanted...”

I read the chapter title; I knew exactly what was going to happen in this chapter. My heart wrenched as I read on..

[Flashback]

“You don’t understand!” ___ said in frustration. We just met her parents a while ago, and to make the story short, her parents yelled at her, insulted me and ordered us to break up. I just stood there while ____ defends me, yells at her parents. Her parents asked me what kind of person am I. The only words my lips could muster was..

“I’m nice.”

Her parent’s scowls deepen. They asked if I could provide ____ everything she needs, the lifestyle she has grown accustomed of. I looked down again. ____ again defends me, getting angrier at her parents. Her parents tried to bribe her, they would agree to let her be a writer but in exchange, she must never see me again. I looked at her; I knew her greatest dream is to be a writer instead of accepting and throwing me away. She kissed me, right in front of her parents. She pulled away and threw her parents a look. Her parents were too shocked to say anything. She took my hand and left the room.

She dragged out onto the garden; we arrived in front of the fountain found at the center of the garden. She lets go of my hand. Her back faced me; I stole glances from her and look down at my shoes.

“They’re right you know.” I said. She didn’t say a word and continued to look at the fountain, her back still facing me.

“I can’t do anything. I have nothing to offer, I can’t give you what you want.” I said. She still refuses to look at me. I look down again.

“Do you really know what I want?” ____ said, finally facing me. I looked up to see her disappointed face.

“I wanted you to fight for me, tell my parents that you can do anything. Tell them that you love me enough that I wouldn’t need anything. Hangeng, Wo Ai Ni. Even though we both knew we couldn’t be together, we are. Why are you discriminating yourself? All you just said to them was you are a nice person, and you are! But to them, being nice isn’t good enough. Hangeng, you didn’t fight for me. That was the only thing I ask of you, to fight for me.” ____ said hurt all over her face, my princess was crying out of frustration and of hurt. My heart wrenched, I reached out to hug her, and instead she backed away. I stepped forward and hugged her, she sobbed.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered into her ear. She cried harder, I kept whispering to her that I was sorry. In the end, I couldn’t take it anymore, I let go of her and left, not saying a word.

[End of flashback]

“The pauper left the princess crying and sobbing, not saying a word. “ I held my tears as I read that line. I blinked them away. I closed my eyes as I closed the book tightly. I decided to close my eyes until we reached the orphanage.
.o0o.

“Hankyung hyung, wake up. Pali!” I heard Siwon say as he tapped me on the shoulder. Apparently, I fell asleep and the fact that they woke up meant that we have arrived. As soon as we got off the bus, kids swarmed us. I looked over at the other members who were also swarmed with kids; I looked at Heechul who as nervous as hell and Leeteuk seemed natural at it. I saw Kangin having a boy sitting on his arms. Shindong was having kids poking his belly. Kyuhyun and Kibum were sharing their PSP to the other kids. Ryeowook was now playing with the other kids. Yesung kept stealing glances at the teacher; he looked as if he had seen a ghost. I felt a pull on my pants, I looked down to see a little boy holding a girls hand.

“Hyung, you brought a book?” The little boy asked me. I looked at the book at then at the little boy. I nodded in response.

“Oppa, can you read your book to us?” The little girl asked me. I nodded and smiled. They led me inside the orphanage. They motioned me to sit on the big red sofa chair. They instructed me to stay there while they get the other children and ran off. I blinked and laughed at their cuteness. I looked at the book and opened it again and read the last chapter title.

“Farewell Wedding.”

I sighed again; this must be the most painful of all chapters in this book. I bravely read on.

[Flashback]

“You may now kiss the bride.” The minister said. The groom gave the bride a peck on the cheek. The groomsmen start teasing the groom. Everyone clapped and congratulated the newly wedded couple. I forced a smile and clapped along.

“Ah, the princess finally got married.” The old lady who sat next to me said. I turned my head to see none other than _____’s old nanny.

“Ahh! Nanny.” I said as I bowed in respect. She bowed back and patted my head. We were seated at the furthest so probably no one would notice a Super Junior member.

“You’re more handsome than I last saw you.” Nanny said. I nodded in reply. She looked at me with sad eyes; she pats my shoulders in comfort.

“I’m sorry Hangeng.” Nanny said. I silently nodded. As the couple walked down the aisle, they would stop and greet guests.

Finally, ____ and her husband stopped in front of us. ____ went wide as our eyes met. I couldn’t take my eyes off her; she was just too beautiful in her red Chinese traditional wedding dress. What I would give to be the one standing next to her rather than in front of her.

“You’re Hangeng from Super Junior right? It is an honor to have you as our guest.” The groom said, breaking our eye contact. ___ looked down as I nodded at the groom and shaking hands with him.

“It’s good to see you again _____” I said. _____ just nodded her head. She looks at me with sad eyes and looks down again.

“I hope to see you at the reception.” The groom said. I forced a smile and nodded. With that the groom led the bride out of my sight.
.o0o.

The reception area was swarmed with guests. Everyone started to look at me, some knew me as the pauper who was friends with princess but then disappeared and then appeared as this prince. I smiled politely at everyone.

Yes, the pauper became a prince in their eyes. But to me, I’ll always be the pauper who’s in love with the princess. I adjusted my necktie; I had enough of this already. My manager should have never got me into this wedding, but it was for publicity. If I only knew it would be HER wedding, I would have refused.

I already have spent and hour and a half here. I couldn’t take it anymore, another man holding her, kissing her and dancing with her. Another man spending the rest of his life with her by his side, it hurt too much. I had to get away. I searched for the couple to say goodbye to them and for my manager who is probably chatting with entertainment people.

At last, I spotted the couple. My heart sank as she holds his hand. I took a deep breath and walked up to them.

“Hangeng, are going already?” The groom said. ____ Eyes held disappointment and sadness.

“Yes, I have a lot of schedules to attend to at Korea.” I said. The groom nodded and shook hands with me.

“You’re a lucky man.” I said to him and looked at _____ who was still not able to look at me. The groom let out a shy laugh and thanked me and wished me a safe trip.

I looked at ____ for the last time and turned around and walked away. In a few moments I found my manager and I told him I wanted to go back to the hotel to prepare for my flight back to Korea. That was all I needed to say, I didn’t need to say that my heart was going to explode if I stayed in this place any longer.

Just when I was about to enter the car, a voice stopped me.

“Hangeng!” I couldn’t believe my ears. My heart seemed to have started beating after all this time. I looked back to see the most beautiful sight. _____ in her red, traditional Chinese wedding dress running up to me. I stood there in awe; forgive me for getting my hopes up. As she came nearer my high hope suddenly sank. No, she wouldn’t be doing this. She wouldn’t run away with me. Once she is committed to something, she stays committed. That’s the kind of person _____ is.

As she stood in front of me, she hugged me. I breathed in her scent and hugged her tight not wanting to let go. But she pulled away; she looks at me and gives me a long kiss on my cheek while she places something in my hand she then pulls away and smiles at me.

She gives me one last hug and whispers in my ear.

“Wo Ai Ni.”

And with that she pulled away and stepped back. She turns around and walks towards her husband who just found his wife. I looked down and saw a book in my hands I looked up at her as she arrives by her husband’s side. Before she took her husband’s arm, she looked back at me and smiled and mouthed the word..

“Farewell.”

And walked away with her husband.

[ End of Flashback ]

“Once Upon a Time in China, there was a girl and a boy. The girl was like a princess but the boy was a pauper and that meant they can never be together. But one day, the pauper disappeared. The pauper came back as a prince to claim back his princess but like in Cinderella, as the clock 12 she turned back into a maid. And while the pauper who became a prince will stay in the princess eyes, the pauper she loved.”

As I read the last paragraph I felt a tear stream down my cheek. Aiish.. I keep crying today. I quickly wiped them away as I heard the kids and the members come in . I quickly closed the book.

“Hyung, read us your book.” The little boy from a while ago said as everyone was seated in front of me.

“Ahh, this book is too sad.” I said. The little girl shook her head.

“Oppa, you should just change the ending then.” She said. I looked at her and smiled, this girl somewhat reminds me of my princess. I nodded at her. I opened up the book and everyone leaned in to listen to my revised version of the story. I took a deep breath and started to read out loud.

“Once Upon a Time in China…”

“There was a boy and a girl...”

“The girl was like a princess…”

“But the boy was a pauper...”

“And that meant that..”

“They can never be together..”
.o0o.
Author’s Note: Whooo~ I am finally done! This is oneshot is long too. XD anyways, I hope you liked it. Please Comment. Next up is Yesung’s!! Whoo~ XD

Take Care~